407 too flash for a pug?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    Banned

Default 407 too flash for a pug?

Is the 407 too flash for a pug? Its too flash for me! Like, what kind of a person buys a peugeot? Someone who doesn't take themselves too seriously but likes subtle quality! A case of "don't look at me but if you do, note I'm a discerning type of person". But I think on the whole peugeot buyers are a conservative lot ... but Peugeot's gone and kind of left us traditional buyers in a bit of a tizz when it comes to buying a new pug.

Advertisement

well i dont think so though my neighbour changed his bmw for a 407! id say older people who buy peugot are lookin for a good cheep car, young ones because ull prob not get a better deal!
    www.jon44w.com

I think personally, the 206 is the last of the currently manufactured Peugeots, that represent what Peugeot are meant to be about. That is, good fun, great handling, stylish, and did I say fun to drive cars, no matter wether you chose to buy the base model or the top of the range. Peugeot has left lots of it's long time drivers / supporters bewildered with creations such as the 307 and now (not so much but still sort of) the 407, the 307 just yells out "look at me Iím a Toyota corolla to look at, and just as boring to drive" whilst the 407 is lack luster in performance.

The days of Peugeot making stylish, trend setting, and fun to drive cars (even in there base models) are coming to an end .

there are similaraties with the corolla and the 307 but 307 is a much nice car both to look at and drive, though it has lost it as far a handling does
    www.jon44w.com

slag them off as u wish but this obviously is what people are after as they are selling well!
    www.jon44w.com

Quote Originally Posted by m3_mok
    slag them off as u wish but this obviously is what people are after as they are selling well!
    not to be rude, but did i say this isn't what "people" want. I was talking as with regards to the peugeot enthusiast, rather then the general public, and alls i was saying is that peugeot as a company is loosing its roots, and long time suporters in favour of people who want a shoping trolley or a car to take the kids to school in

Cub

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    not to be rude, but did i say this isn't what "people" want. I was talking as with regards to the peugeot enthusiast, rather then the general public, and alls i was saying is that peugeot as a company is loosing its roots, and long time suporters in favour of people who want a shoping trolley or a car to take the kids to school in
    Unfortunately I'd have to agree with that.

And yes i think the 206 is the last link to Pugs past and we have only seen a steady decent into mediocrity since.

We used to be able to brag about the car's "character", balance and smooth ride but not so anymore. In my opinion Pugs are falling behind the other 2 French badges (maybe not in sales but thats not my point). Look at Cit, the other PSA brother, they are still making "quirky" cars that are innovative and stick to the original ideals. Renault, I'd hate to say this but they are simply whipping Pug all over the place when it comes to performance. Pugs have no answer for the abilities of RCS & RMS, the 180 was too late too little.

Guess I'd better take care of my 205 then!
    CUB

XTC

whilst the 407 is lack luster in performance.
    You've driven one when ?

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    You've driven one when ?

- xTc -
    He probably read it in Wheels or somewhere so it must be true

'04 307 XSE Touring Auto - Diablo Red
    '06 206 C Auto - Diablo Red

[QUOTE=orestes]the 307 just yells out "look at me Iím a Toyota corolla to look at, and just as boring to drive"

Sorry but I feel I need to defend the 307. Took my 206Gti in to have a minor service yesterday and instead of getting an automatic (I hate auto) 4 door 206 I was pleasantly surprised when handed the keys for a brand new (240kms) manual 307. What a fantastic car. It drove extremely well and was an absolute joy for the time that I had it and not boring in the slightest.

Ok so it's not as sporty or zippy as the Gtis but is it supposed to be? No I don't think so. Thats not the market there aimed for. The Peugeot buying public does not consist solely of people wanting quirkys, inovative cars, we want reliable cars that fit our day to day needs and if that means the 307 I'd be more than happy to have one.

Give me the 307 over the corolla any day.

nlq206

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by nlq206
    Torque .... the 307 2ltr has it (and down low) the Corolla doesn't ... the Corolla sportivo was fun to drive - and certainly quicker, but 6000rpm every gear change in traffic quickly becomes a pain.

Rolla ...
    Maximum power hp/PS 192 @ 7800
    Maximum power kW 141 @ 7800
    Maximum torque ft lb @ 6800
    Maximum torque Nm 180 @ 6800

Pug
    Maximum power hp/PS 136 @ 6000
    Maximum power kW 100 @ 6000
    Maximum torque ft lb @ 4100
    Maximum torque Nm 190 @ 4100

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Cub

[QUOTE=nlq206
    Ok so it's not as sporty or zippy as the Gtis but is it supposed to be? No I don't think so. Thats not the market there aimed for. The Peugeot buying public does not consist solely of people wanting quirkys, inovative cars, we want reliable cars that fit our day to day needs and if that means the 307 I'd be more than happy to have one.

nlq206[/QUOTE]

Look I'd be last one to defend a Corolla but for arguments sake :

If we are on the topic of consumerism, reliability, and Pugs going mainstream to satisfy demand; you can jump into a corolla for < 20,000 and still get 100Kw, build quality AND Fuel effiency that no petrol 307 can match. The 307 is no big step, just take at the wasted expanse of a dashboard!

Dont get me wrong guys, my brother has a 307 and when i test drove it my immediate reaction was BUY IT! However when it comes to boring/trying to go mainsteam or exciting/little less corolla like, i think differently.

Instead of 4/6 airbags, release some performance/chassis enhanced version with only 2, instead of chilled glove box focus on steering feel and directness, people buy pugs nowadays because they are cheap and good value ...

Not meaning to offend anyone but my
    CUB

1000+ Posts

The 307 is not selling well anyway really. Usually high 300s a month, compared to around 600pm for the Volkswagen Golf, and of course, close to 3000pm for the rolla.

Have many people on here actually driven the 407? There was a large review of the 407 SV in Wheels this month and it was truly disturbing. 2 stars only. Their major complaint was its suspension tune.

Any "independent" opinions....?

Quote Originally Posted by Sergetov
    The 307 is not selling well anyway really. Usually high 300s a month, compared to around 600pm for the Volkswagen Golf, and of course, close to 3000pm for the rolla.

Have many people on here actually driven the 407? There was a large review of the 407 SV in Wheels this month and it was truly disturbing. 2 stars only. Their major complaint was its suspension tune.

Iíve read reviews not just from wheels, but from other sources. Some go as far as saying its a decent car, if you don't get a base model, others say that it's not that great of a car at all. Personally, as much as i also have no interest in doing so, as i have no intrest in a largish "luxury" sedan I haven't taken one for a drive.
    Last edited by orestes; 12th January 2005 at 11:48 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Seems they have changed direction. With every new model they lose more of what appealed to me. That "playtime is over" slogan says it all really.
    unfrogged (for now)

XTC

Personally, as much as i also have no interest in doing so, as i have no intrest in a largish "luxury" sedan I haven't taken one for a drive.
    Personally I have no interest (or way to finance) a $110K Porsche Boxster. Doesn't mean I haven't taken one for the test drive.

Speaking of test drives, have a Megane 225 booked for dest drive this arvo ... now this happens to be something I am interested in (actually it's my wife who wants it - I want to wait for the new Golf V GTi).

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Personally I have no interest (or way to finance) a $110K Porsche Boxster. Doesn't mean I haven't taken one for the test drive.

Speaking of test drives, have a Megane 225 booked for dest drive this arvo ... now this happens to be something I am interested in (actually it's my wife who wants it - I want to wait for the new Golf V GTi).

- xTc -
    apparently the Megane 225 is rather nice, not as raw or fun like the RCS but still quite quick and fun to drive. i would be intrested in driving one to see what there like, even though i don't have $40k to spend on one, and i doubt any bank would finance me

Quote Originally Posted by 106 Rallye
    Seems they have changed direction. With every new model they lose more of what appealed to me. That "playtime is over" slogan says it all really.
    yes it does, really the last fun pug in my opinion, wether you bought a boring base model XR with an automatic, or an S16 or GTi6, was the 306. Since then, we have seen a steady decline into mediocraty, with the release of the 307. Hopefully (as much as i doubt it) when they replace the 206, they will replace it, with one car that is as much fun to drive with a similiar price tag as the GTi 180. heck i wouldn't even mind if they took the 180 lump out of the 307 coupe and droped it into a sedan, does anyone here the words 307 GTi 180
    Last edited by orestes; 12th January 2005 at 04:39 PM.

I can't give you an "independent" opinion since WE have a new 407 2.2 ltr as a family car (...love it). All I can suggest though is not to believe everything you read in car magazines.....GOOD OR BAD...take them for a test drive then make up your own mind.

I can't get over the hype some cars get from Wheels etc, (especially some of the hi performance local cars)....I driven many of them and excluding the "bang for buck" performance , they are not what I consider a "good drive" and they lack character....but thats just my opinion.

When we were shopping for a new largish "luxury" family car mainly driven by my wife....ride, handling, comfort, styling, refinement, safety and CHARACTER were our main priorities. I wasn't interested in the V6 because I don't like electronic suspension so we checked out the four.I remember before my test drive that although I loved the styling, I had my doubts that the long nose overhang wouldn't affect legendary Peugeot handling and especially performance from the 4 cyl 2.2 since it is such a heavy car.

I was initially surprised by the ride quality, refinement and comfort...it was much better than our Passat V6 trade in. The 4 cyl's performance felt fairly similar to my Mazda6 wagon but it was I when attacked my favorite mountain pass that really surprised me. I thought that my the lighter Accord Euro that i had tested a few days earlier would leave it for dead but no matter how hard I pushed it around corners, it refused to understeer....a big heavy front drive luxo car just shouldn't handle this well.

The negatives...
    *could do with more performance to match the chassis (the Euro's performance is much better)
    *rear passenger room should be better in relation to exterior size of the car,
    *No problems yet but still some concerns about Peugeot reliabilty, electrics etc??.
    *Not enough clearance under front spoiler.

Whilst the styling also has attracted some critisism....I love the fact that it looks like no other car on the road...well done Peugeot.

Icon4

i like the 407 as it is different althrough should be rwd

Iam lsing faith in peugeot for the fwd and lack of rwd but mainly because of there lack of sporty,ness and conformity with other brands makes me really look at bmw and think i want one

Oh and i dont think any upper models of pugs made werent flash in some way maybe you just havent seen a pug that stands out that is brand new ?
    "Best Signature Ever Inserted Here"

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 407er
    I can't give you an "independent" opinion since WE have a new 407 2.2 ltr as a family car (...love it). All I can suggest though is not to believe everything you read in car magazines.....GOOD OR BAD...take them for a test drive then make up your own mind.

I can't get over the hype some cars get from Wheels etc, (especially some of the hi performance local cars)....I driven many of them and excluding the "bang for buck" performance , they are not what I consider a "good drive" and they lack character....but thats just my opinion.

When we were shopping for a new largish "luxury" family car mainly driven by my wife....ride, handling, comfort, styling, refinement, safety and CHARACTER were our main priorities. I wasn't interested in the V6 because I don't like electronic suspension so we checked out the four.I remember before my test drive that although I loved the styling, I had my doubts that the long nose overhang wouldn't affect legendary Peugeot handling and especially performance from the 4 cyl 2.2 since it is such a heavy car.

I was initially surprised by the ride quality, refinement and comfort...it was much better than our Passat V6 trade in. The 4 cyl's performance felt fairly similar to my Mazda6 wagon but it was I when attacked my favorite mountain pass that really surprised me. I thought that my the lighter Accord Euro that i had tested a few days earlier would leave it for dead but no matter how hard I pushed it around corners, it refused to understeer....a big heavy front drive luxo car just shouldn't handle this well.

The negatives...
    *could do with more performance to match the chassis (the Euro's performance is much better)
    *rear passenger room should be better in relation to exterior size of the car,
    *No problems yet but still some concerns about Peugeot reliabilty, electrics etc??.
    *Not enough clearance under front spoiler.

Whilst the styling also has attracted some critisism....I love the fact that it looks like no other car on the road...well done Peugeot.
    Thanks, thats a great post and I certainly appreciate it (not that I'm in the market for a 407 though). Your criticisms were the same as those in Wheels, although they went into a lot of detail with regard to their suspension and ride quality complaints. They also had a stab at its puny boot size.

I think it looks great though, and has a superb, modern colour palette to choose from. I like the front seats and the dash is largely a success (too many little buttons perhaps though?), but your absolutely right RE the rear seat.

Orestes, IMHO I think a 307 180 would be an utterly pointless car.

apologies for the bad spelling/ grammar in my last post.. written in a hurry....

Thanks, thats a great post and I certainly appreciate it (not that I'm in the market for a 407 though). Your criticisms were the same as those in Wheels, although they went into a lot of detail with regard to their suspension and ride quality complaints. .
    Thanks Sergetov....next Wheels is COTY issue....hopefully Peugeot have supplied them with a Four as well as the 6....hmmm......if so I wonder if they'll bag the Fours suspension like they did the electronically suspended V6.

Anyway... I reckon the Ford Territory will win COTY with the Golf or Mazda 3 close runner ups.

1000+ Posts

I should hope they have both so it will be interesting to see. They gave the electric suspension a paning in this months article with the SV.

Your COTY prediction may be close to the money, but I'm hoping the Golf wins. It will finish ahead of the 3 if this months 3 vs Golf comparo is anything to go by.

- xTc -
    Hold out if you can for the Mk V GTI Golf - that's what i'm hoping to get for myself in the next year or so if finances allow.

No matter how good the performance of the 225 is I'll never buy a Renault from the only dealer in Adelaide. I still am having issues with the look of the bum on the Megane too.

That said if I ever need a larger car - or god forbid a wagon - I'm heading straight for a 407 touring. I love the styling of it (espescially the c pillar) and that glass roof I think would be awesome.

Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information