Does your 306 idle perfectly?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Does your 306 idle perfectly?

I've booked my car in for a checkup at teh pug dealer in granville/parra but i wanted to make sure this problem was 'normal' before i went in. My 98 306 Xsi idles a little funny, its not running rough, when it idles the needle slowly moves up and down(a fraction, say 1mm). I was wondering if your 306 or any other pug idles perfectly? My old lancer did, the needle just sat there without moving a mm. I spoke to the mechanic at colliers automotive and he said its normal for the pug to idle like that as long as it doesn't deviate around 300-400rpm.

so, how does yours idle?

thanks,

Joey

Advertisement

Hi!

My 1998 automatic 306 XR does exactly the same thing when idling - the needle just moves up and down slightly, and it does sound as if the engine isn't idling quite smoothly. It worried me at first, but I've come to believe that weird little things like that are part and parcel of peugeot ownership.

If it's any comfort, the ex-service manager at the Brisbane dealership told me that the older engine in 1.8l 306s runs a bit rough at times and makes strange noises, but with a bit of care should just keep going and going. However, now that I think about it he's been wrong about other things... so it's probably no comfort at all!

penelope_s

Fellow Frogger!
    Penelope,

Thats it! thank goodness i'm not the only one, maybe i should cancel my $99/hour service this friday! Well i do need to get the car checked at least once i guess

rek
    My 306 ('00 GTi6) usually idles pretty much perfectly, except sometimes you can feel it stutter and shake a bit (especially if you're waiting at something like traffic lights for 30+ seconds).

This is occasionally matched up with a hesitation to get up and go (can be anything from a light stutter or a flat out refusal to go anywhere for 5 seconds). Funnily enough it only happens once, then goes away, never to be seen again for another day or two.

Quite often the tachometer does vary everso slightly, but you can't really feel it. The engine never does really sound like it idles quite so smoothly as your average Japanese engine though. Then again with a peaky non-VVT engine like the GTi6, you'd expect the idle to be a bit lumpier and noisier than normal.

It's in for a scheduled check-up tomorrow morning, and have told them to take a look at what might be causing the hesitations/stuttering; if they find anything I'll let you know. (I'm assuming it'll probably be something like old spark plugs, or a dirty sensor.) If they have to replace a sensor or something like that, hmm lucky I decided to get the extended warranty.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Fellow Frogger!
    my car DID have an extended warranty, wasn't with peugeot though, it was with some 3rd party place (All States Warranty i think). anways, they were underwritten by HIH, lucky me!! i lost $1000 =(, was only a few months into the contract before hih fell over, damn rodney adler

My 307 (01' XSE) has the same problem as Rek mentioned (stutter, shake, and vibrate) at idle (especially when the car was at uphill). I have booked in for 4000km check out service and hopefully the annoying shake can be fixed.
    GKOSHU

rek
    Turns out the computer had a fault code for the lambda sensor stored. However when they took the sensor out and tested it, it worked 100%.

I guess it might have gotten dirty from something or other, and is cleaning out with time ? That's the only explanation for why the hesitation/dodgy-ness used to be pretty much a daily occurence, and it now happens much less often.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Tadpole
    I have a 94 306 XT and I have found a couple of things that might be related.

1. The car runs much better if it is taken on a long highway drive. This seems to "clean" the engine by getting it to and keeping it at operating temperature for an extended period of time. These cars are designed to be driven constantly over 130k's, we never get to these speeds (and temperatures) on our roads.

2. The computer in the engine management system is very smart. If there is a variation in any of the inputs (i.e. humidity, temperature, etc) then the computer recalibrate's itself. Instead of just reading input at idle it "revs" the engine slightly and looks for the best settings. It can be a little daunting at first but the car will settle down. I first noticed this when I started the car on a very cold morning in Canberra. I had been driving the car in mild weather (18 degrees). When I started the car the next time the temperature was about -1.

We have a 1995 306 XT, owned from new. It idles steadily and always has. 98,000 km and on its original stepping motor.

My Citroen Xantia sometimes idles strangely, oscillating from 1,000 rpm to 500 rpm, and it seems to happen mostly when starting the car in warm to hot weather. When it is cold (Perth cold, about 15 degrees!) it is fine, and when it is hot (Perth hot, about 35 degrees) it is fine.

Occasionally it stalls. But this is every 1-2 months. It has done 22,000 km and is on its second stepping motor.

I'm inclined to leave these things until there is something really wrong that might be diagnosable! All you really do with a vague matter like idle speed is keep your local Peugeot man in business - which might be a good investment in an indirect way!

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

probably has something to do with the high state of tune most Pug motors are at. They have like 400 thou lift or something like that (most cars have that much lift as a higher stage cam grind) standard so would most likely cause the rough idling.
    That's my guess
    Peugeot...
    ...The True Lion

Fellow Frogger!
    I owned a 94 306XT never seemed to idle nice but was much better in cold weather. I beleive it has to do with heating of the inlet air as the air cleaner chamber is directly above the exhaust. After idleing for a minute or longer idle begins to lean out and hunt as the standard fuel map is setup for cooler climates. You may also notice when taking off after being parked for a short time the car is gutless. A case of bad design for Aussie conditions. I toyed with different air inlet configurations power and idle improved however inlet noise became a problem.
    Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten!

What is a "perfect" idle?

I'm yet to see/hear any 306 that idles with the smooth, flawless precision of most japanese small cars....

I'm not talking about fluctuating RPM, i mean "smooth" as opposed to the almost diesel like idle quality alot of Peugeot and even french cars in general seem to display

hehe....and my 205 certainly doesn't idle anything like "smoothly" for a modern car...even seems to miss but i'm the only one who notices that apparently

I've just come to accept that's a Peugeot thing, they are getting better, but anything 8v from peugeot is fairly rough.

Though, it's interesting to note the Clio sport i test drove didn't idle terribly consistantly either....it seemed to miss at idle occasionally too......
    Some might say it's cause of the state of tune it's in.......but the considerably more highly tuned 140kw 1.8 celica idles flawlessly....

I don't know....this is a sticking point for me about Peugeots....one of the few things i don't like about them.
    ________
    Pattaya appartments
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 02:06 AM.

Don't know how much this has to do with it these days, but Peugeot traditionally always tended towards short stroke motors with , by the standards of the time, quite high compression ratios.

Shorter stroke 4 cylinder motors generally, as I understand it, tend to produce more power and less smoothness.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thread Information