206 RC 180 - Tyre Choices
  • Register
  • Help

Default 206 RC 180 - Tyre Choices

Any one have ideas on how Peugeot goes about choosing a tyre make and type for this model? Do they do extensive testing on different tyres and choose the optimal tyre, or is it left to politics and business ventures. I'm not particularly happy with the Pirelli's, although they do make great calendars . I prefered the Dunlops I had on my 307 XT.

Advertisement

Any ideas out therre on which tyres are best for the 206 RC 180

Quote Originally Posted by V206RC
    Any one have ideas on how Peugeot goes about choosing a tyre make and type for this model? Do they do extensive testing on different tyres and choose the optimal tyre, or is it left to politics and business ventures. I'm not particularly happy with the Pirelli's, although they do make great calendars . I prefered the Dunlops I had on my 307 XT.

Any ideas out therre on which tyres are best for the 206 RC 180
    I'd say peuegeot are like any other car company when it comes to getting parts from suppliers. The bottom line would be price per unit. I think that Peugeot's switch from Michelin to Pirelli in WRC is coincidental.

I'm getting some Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's for my GTi 138 later this week. I've not heard any bad words about them. Maybe you can have a look at them for the 180/RC. Not sure about sizing though.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    I'd say peuegeot are like any other car company when it comes to getting parts from suppliers. The bottom line would be price per unit. I think that Peugeot's switch from Michelin to Pirelli in WRC is coincidental.

I'm getting some Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's for my GTi 138 later this week. I've not heard any bad words about them. Maybe you can have a look at them for the 180/RC. Not sure about sizing though.
    Never used Goodyear before. Funnily enough the local Peugeot dealers here are also the Goodyear dealers. ( A sign ???)

I'm quite keen to know if the Michelin Pilot's are a good tyre, the local dealers won't let me test the different makes so I will have to rely on some feedback from other users. The more feedback I can get the better assesment I can make on the tyre choice.

Over your way you get the Michielin Pilot Exaltos which would be wicked on the RC/180. A tyre apparetly designed for FWD cars and on the Clio Cup, I reckon it'd suit the 180 really well.

Otherwise, there is a Pirelli P-Zero Nero that is available in Europe, and perhaps in Dubai that matches the 180/RC load rating requirement (84W). It is not available in Australia.

The excellent Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 isn't avialable in the RC/180 load rating, so can't really recommend them there.

Dunlop's best tyre in your size in the SP 9000 which is a heavily biased wet tyre...not really suitable for you there.

Bridgestone and Continental do not make tyres in the 180/Rc load rating.

Kumho's MX and Yokohama's AVS ES100 are available in your size, but not anywhere near as good as the Michelin in that size.

The P7000 actually rates very well in the dry...

I've got the EVO tyre test with an ST170 on my website if you want to read up. http://www.mymane.net/photos/EVOJuly02
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Never used Goodyear before. Funnily enough the local Peugeot dealers here are also the Goodyear dealers. ( A sign ???)

I'm quite keen to know if the Michelin Pilot's are a good tyre, the local dealers won't let me test the different makes so I will have to rely on some feedback from other users. The more feedback I can get the better assesment I can make on the tyre choice.
    Do you know which Michelin Pilot? There are a lot of tyres with that monicker... could be Pilot Sports, Pilot Sport 2s, or Exaltos...or lesser tyres. I'm not aware of PS or PS2s in the 180 size or loading, however. The Exaltos would be my pick. Hands down.
    - Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Do you know which Michelin Pilot? There are a lot of tyres with that monicker... could be Pilot Sports, Pilot Sport 2s, or Exaltos...or lesser tyres. I'm not aware of PS or PS2s in the 180 size or loading, however. The Exaltos would be my pick. Hands down.
    Thanks for all the feedback guys....I was thinking of the Pilot PS2, but as pointed out the size is not available.

I did find this web page that has lots of comparitive tests....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP

Just need to go through all the info, although the Eagle F1 GS-D3 look like a good choice too.

Thanks for all the feedback guys....I was thinking of the Pilot PS2, but as pointed out the size is not available.

I did find this web page that has lots of comparitive tests....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP

Just need to go through all the info, although the Eagle F1 GS-D3 look like a good choice too.
    Well, you technically, you can't get GS-D3s as they are only available in a 80W load rating. You need an 84 load rating.
    - Lincoln

Regardless of legislation, I'd be ensuring I was running the same load rating as the tyre. But if you don't care about safety, then go ahead.

Just thought I'd clarify, that the Michelin Pilot Exalto is not brought to Australia in ANY rating, not just W rating. I perhaps think that Scott is referring to the Pilot Precedas... which I doubt you'd get in Saudi.
    - Lincoln

In particular, I refer you to http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...vsi09_rev4.pdf which states:

Tyre load rating
    Any replacement tyre must have a load rating equal to or better than the rating of the original tyres fitted by the
    vehicle manufacturer. This information is available from the tyre placard or the vehicle manufacturer.
    It does not say you HAVE to have a tyre placard. Yes, we all know the ADR is to have that placard there, but the legislation says that you must run the equal rating to the OEM tyres. Clear as day that is.
    - Lincoln

Not bored at all, just right:

The quote again is:

This information is available from the tyre placard or the vehicle manufacturer.
    Read those words carefully, jester_fu.

It does not say:

Quote Originally Posted by Jester_fu
    This information is available on the tyre placcard from the manufacturer
    As you have said. Ever play spot the difference?

I'll put this to you then, why does the 180 required 84 load rated tyres? Especially since Peugeot would've had the choice of using P Zero Neros in 80 or 84 on your car, yet they chose the 84 P7000s. There are plenty of choices of tyres, as you know, in your size, yet of the entire Pirelli range, they chose some 84 rated tyres. It seems to be that this would be a deliberate decision during the development of the 180.

I'm aware of an ADR that requires a tyre placard. I'm not aware of what the contents of that placard should be according to the ADR.
    - Lincoln

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    I'll put this to you then, why does the 180 required 84 load rated tyres? Especially since Peugeot would've had the choice of using P Zero Neros in 80 or 84 on your car, yet they chose the 84 P7000s. There are plenty of choices of tyres, as you know, in your size, yet of the entire Pirelli range, they chose some 84 rated tyres. It seems to be that this would be a deliberate decision during the development of the 180.
    Find out yourself ... the reason for one tyre over the other may have NOTHING to do with actual required load ratings (from an engineering perspective). It could be marketing for all we know (maybe Pirelli didn't like the idea of their premium P-Zero range on such a lowly car like a 180). P Zero's, standard equipment on Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini and Peugeot !!! - spot the odd one out there.

Lets stop the speculation and do the calculations !!

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Find out yourself ... the reason for one tyre over the other may have NOTHING to do with actual required load ratings (from an engineering perspective). It could be marketing for all we know (maybe Pirelli didn't like the idea of their premium P-Zero range on such a lowly car like a 180). P Zero's, standard equipment on Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini and Peugeot !!! - spot the odd one out there.

Lets stop the speculation and do the calculations !!

- xTc -
    Perhaps, but the 307 XSI is running Pirelli P Zero Rossos which are above the P7000 and pretty much their flag ship tyre. That is, it competes with Contisportcontact2 and Michelin's Pilot Sport.

I would think Pirelli would have more of a problem with their flagship Rosso running on the fat, stock suspension 307, than they would over a hot 206 180/RC.

Yes, this is all conjecture, and I all I can really do is have an opinion that the engineers chose an 84 load rating for this car, and not an 80 rating which was available in the Pirelli range... or Goodyear range that Peugeot also use.

But I do not see the marketing value in a load rating, I see safety in a tyre's load rating. As you know, I'm pretty cycnical when it comes to marketing and business, but I just don't see the marketability reasons for chosing the P7000 84W over something else in the range... maybe it was cheaper than the Nero? But, they're not, they P7000 costs more than the Nero.
    Last edited by GTI124; 11th January 2005 at 07:12 PM.
    - Lincoln

Thread Information