505 Econometer
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 505 Econometer

mlb

Default 505 Econometer

Has anyone had problems with their econometer lights in 505s? Mine does not seem to read at all, the middle orange light flickers every now and then but that's it. Not sure where the pickup from the manifold is (I assume it works off manifold vacuum). Wiring diagram is no help with this, I've strained my eye trying to find it.

Advertisement

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Icon7

Matt,

The pickup for the econometer is just behind and below the coil. It has three wires going into it underneath and a vacuum pipe as well. The vacuum pipe joins to a t-piece that one end goes to the manifold and the other end goes to the vacuum reservoir (bolted to the left hand chassis rail) for the dash controls.

Replacing the pickup should cure your problem. The only other problem is if the led's on your instrument cluster have packed it in. The instrument cluster is dead easy to get out, it has a hole either side where you stick a small screw driver. You don't have to disconnect the speedo cable as it's fixed to the body and is self aligning. Just watch the flexible printed circuit along the top. It would tear easily if it gets caught on removal. It's a good idea to cover it with some tape to protct it.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 505 Econometer-econometer2.jpg   505 Econometer-econometer1.jpg  
    Last edited by Ralph; 10th January 2005 at 02:56 PM.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Matt,

The pickup for the econometer is just behind and below the coil. It has three wires going into it underneath and a vacuum pipe as well. The vacuum pipe joins to a t-piece that one end goes to the manifold and the other end goes to the vacuum reservoir (bolted to the left hand chassis rail) for the dash controls.

Replacing the pickup should cure your problem.

Matt
    Thanks Matt,

Are you aware of any way I can test the pick up, as well as the plug and wiring to the dash just to try to isolate the problem more?
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Icon7

Matt,

They come to bits easily. Undo the four screws. The top part with the vacuum inlet comes off along with a spring. If you gently lift the diapragm and turn it over you'll see a centreing shaft and two shorter sprung contact fingers (hopefully not broken). There is also a small circuit board with some tracks inside the base which I don't think can be removed. I'd give all the tracks a clean and also the two fingers as these contact the tracks. Use a fine piece of emery paper on them then blow out with some compressed air.

There is also a pressure equalisation hole in the base which will need cleaning out otherwise the thing won't work. If the diaphragm has a hole in it you'll need to toss it out and get a replacement unit. I've had some very limited success fixing holes in diaphragms with silicone sealant, more often than not it doesn't work.

I'd be suspecting the vacuum pickup unit first. You could test it with a multimeter as it is simply a switch. I haven't got my 505 workshop manual with me as someone has borrowed it so I can't see what wire does what. Give it a clean and reinstal and see what happens. I can't see the wiring being a problem unless someone has been playing with the loom. There are three connectors on the back of the instrument cluster that in theory could work loose, worth a check.

Good luck,

Matt.
    Last edited by Ralph; 10th January 2005 at 03:27 PM.

If yours is stuffed,

Dont worry about getting the one from the GTI in Launceston as it's here already!

Sorry

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by Pug_405_Mi16
    If yours is stuffed,

Dont worry about getting the one from the GTI in Launceston as it's here already!

Sorry

Ben
    That's ok. If I remember rightly it is barren under the bonnet. I went there armed with a long list and only managed to come away with 2 parts. Like you said, 'remnants'.

Matt

Yeah it's fairly stripped,

Mind you the car has been there a long time, I remember getting a few bits off it for my 86 GTI when I had it and I sold that 2 years ago now!

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

mlb

Matt,

They come to bits easily. Undo the four screws. The top part with the vacuum inlet comes off along with a spring. If you gently lift the diapragm and turn it over you'll see a centreing shaft and two shorter sprung contact fingers (hopefully not broken). There is also a small circuit board with some tracks inside the base which I don't think can be removed. I'd give all the tracks a clean and also the two fingers as these contact the tracks. Use a fine piece of emery paper on them then blow out with some compressed air.

There is also a pressure equalisation hole in the base which will need cleaning out otherwise the thing won't work. If the diaphragm has a hole in it you'll need to toss it out and get a replacement unit. I've had some very limited success fixing holes in diaphragms with silicone sealant, more often than not it doesn't work.

I'd be suspecting the vacuum pickup unit first. You could test it with a multimeter as it is simply a switch. I haven't got my 505 workshop manual with me as someone has borrowed it so I can't see what wire does what. Give it a clean and reinstal and see what happens. I can't see the wiring being a problem unless someone has been playing with the loom. There are three connectors on the back of the instrument cluster that in theory could work loose, worth a check.

Good luck,

Matt.
    Ok stripped the pickup and found what the problem is. The contacts that slide up and down the circuit board had actually worn through and therfore not contacting any more. Looked at reparing it, not quite worth the hassle, so I'll have to look at getting a new one. Pity, the diaphram actually did not look that bad

Matt

Icon7

You could try and solder fine pieces of copper to the worn fingers. It would be a bit fiddly but with the right gear shouldn't be impossible.

Are 505 parts getting rare down in Tassie?

Matt.

Ralph,

Nope 505 parts are not getting rare down here, it's just a matter of talking to the right people ! In my group of Pug mates we have i'd say around the proceeds of 4-5 wrecks!

CHeers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

If the diaphragm has a hole in it you'll need to toss it out and get a replacement unit. I've had some very limited success fixing holes in diaphragms with silicone sealant, more often than not it doesn't work.

Just for the record, I patched up a heap of largish holes in my econoscope diaphragm with silicon sealant and it's still working perfectly after almost 2 years. I think I ended up coating the whole lot with a thin layer of sealant to keep the surface of the diaphragm reasonably uniform.

If you're diaphragm has holes in it, it's worthwhile having a go at patching it up - you haven't got much to loose.

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

mlb

Update on the econoscope. It now appears to be working. After fitting the new pickup - Thanks Ben - I still had only the orange light working. Decided to check the globes. Wouldn't you know it both the green and red ones were blown. That doesn't matter though as I am sure the pickup would have needed replacing anyway. Trust me.

Haven't tested it on the road yet, but it looks like I'm back in business.

By the way anyone want to buy a slightly worn econoscope pickup.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

Matt

Icon7

Good to hear Matt. The leds shouldn't be too hard to replace as the instruments come to peices fairly easily. Be careful of the flexible printed circuit board on top when you're removing it or you'll be minus dash illumination. I've put masking tape over mine to protect it.

I've tried to repair diapragms before using silicone and it's only lasted a couple of days. Last one I did was in a fish tank air pump. It's probably more in the technique!

Matt.

mlb

The leds shouldn't be too hard to replace as the instruments come to peices fairly easily. Be careful of the flexible printed circuit board on top when you're removing it or you'll be minus dash illumination. I've put masking tape over mine to protect it.
    Already replaced. They were not led's anyway, they were lights the same as the other dash lights, which suprised me. Just twist them out. I had visions of having to break out the soldering iron and replace leds, but all in all not too hard. Worst bit was getting the instrument panel out without taking off the steering wheel.

Matt

I've tried to repair diapragms before using silicone and it's only lasted a couple of days. Last one I did was in a fish tank air pump. It's probably more in the technique!
    It's just a matter of cleaning the rubber, then working in the silicone sealant with your finger to get it to stick to the rubber really well. Then smoothing it out with a bit of spit (while trying not to eat any of the sealant...) to even out the surface. I've tried it on old paper cone speakers as well and it works reasonably well (not very nice to look at though...)

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Thread Information