Early Model 505 Exhaust Manifolds
  • Register
  • Help

Default Early Model 505 Exhaust Manifolds

From what i read and the gaskets ive seen the early model 505 exhaust manifolds will fit the 504 TI and are a bigger bore manifold.

Is this correct?

I am seeking one for my 504 TI rally car. Does anyone know whereabouts i can get one from. I can't find one in Adelaide but have yet to look interstate.

Advertisement

Any help would be great.

Thanks, Justin.

That is correct... a bigger bore and also longer secondary pipes which converge after they take the turn under the floor.

Said to be worth about four horsepower... there's more about them, I think, on Dave McBean's site.

Oh, yeah, I guess I should mention. They're hard to find. Just fitted to one year's production. I know where there's one, but the wrecking yard is now closed. That's apart from the one I have, of course.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rally504
    From what i read and the gaskets ive seen the early model 505 exhaust manifolds will fit the 504 TI and are a bigger bore manifold.

Is this correct?

I am seeking one for my 504 TI rally car. Does anyone know whereabouts i can get one from. I can't find one in Adelaide but have yet to look interstate.

Any help would be great.

Thanks, Justin.
    Just keep looking at wreckers, anything without a clock on the top of the dash is a good chance to have one. The small manifold cars also had the pulsair valve sandwich plate between the manifold and head.
    You will need to bend up the seam on the chassis rail next to the manifold, this is already done on the 505s.
    A shifting spanner closed down to sheet metal thickness works well for this.
    Graham

Default Got One!

Soon after i posted this thread i called PUGWRECK. He was fairly certain he had an early model 505 with the big bore manifold coming in within a week. I called him back and sure enough it had the big bore manifold and front pipe. He promply sent it over and it now waits to be bolted to the car.

I will post power figures once i have fitted it and had it tuned.

Justin.

[QUOTE=Ray Bell]That is correct... a bigger bore and also longer secondary pipes which converge after they take the turn under the floor.

Ray,
    So would this mean that they converge at somewhere near the rear of the gear-box??
    The wagon has a 2-1 about in line with the rear of the transmission.
    I'll have a good look this aftrenoon when Sue brings back the car, but I am fairly sure I noticed that when I was last under there. Come to think of it, the '84 wagon had the same manifold. (may-be 1971504sedan can confirm this?)Although it had the pulsair vavles.
    Chris.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    That is correct... a bigger bore and also longer secondary pipes which converge after they take the turn under the floor.

Said to be worth about four horsepower... there's more about them, I think, on Dave McBean's site.

About 3% more power and torque.

The low down torque difference is the thing which you notice. I also think they give better economy.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

HKP... more like alongside the middle of the box... it's back to one pipe before the stabilising mount at the back of the box.

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Ray,
    About 4 years ago I had to replace the engine pipe on our '84 505 Executive (ZDJK 2.2 engine). The bores on the supplied pipe were each approx 4mm wider, and required a different gasket to the original. The engine pipe still mated with the engine manifold OK, as long as you had the correct gasket.

Any thoughts on the origin of this pipe? It was supplied ex Peugeot Sydney. The correct gasket for this application is now very hard to find. I had thought it might be a GTI pipe, but if so, was not aware of the differences.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

for flange gaskets i have found that if you go to an exhaust place and look through the book you are bound to find one that fits

i found that there are quite a few toyotas that run the same gasket as the 604 and they are less then 1/2 the price of the original part

worth keeping in mind when you need one
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Originally posted by KIMDEB
    About 4 years ago I had to replace the engine pipe on our '84 505 Executive (ZDJK 2.2 engine). The bores on the supplied pipe were each approx 4mm wider, and required a different gasket to the original. The engine pipe still mated with the engine manifold OK, as long as you had the correct gasket.

Any thoughts on the origin of this pipe? It was supplied ex Peugeot Sydney. The correct gasket for this application is now very hard to find. I had thought it might be a GTI pipe, but if so, was not aware of the differences.
    This sounds quite strange... unless you had the wrong pipes to begin with!

Thread Information