306 S16 misfiring - help and advice required
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 306 S16 misfiring - help and advice required

My S16 has just developed a misfire - it seems to be running on just three cylinders. Of course, all this happened over the Christmas/New Year break - that's life!
    The misfire is not always there. On several occasions, the car runs well from a cold start, and either the misfire starts after abour 15 mins driving, or, when I go to start the car up again.
    Advice is required as to possible causes and who you recommend for diagnosing the problem in Sydney.

Advertisement

Cheers,
    sam

With some basic tools and socket set & plug remover YOU CAN DO THIS YOURSELF!. (Pre-order a set of Spark plugs from your local parts shop, as specific S16 plugs are a little hard to find, but I have used generic 2lt plugs for normal pugs (like a 99 Xsi 2lt) and worked fine.)

*1st - let engine cool down, and remove the black cover that has the "16V" written on it, you will need a 10mm socket.
    * 2nd - You will see 4 coils (black and metal) start the car and "pop" one coil up/off at a time. If the engine runs more ruff/spurts/stalls than already, then that coil & spark plug are ok. The coil that dosn't change the note of idle/ruff/spurts of the engine is the problem.
    ***NOTE - Some mechanics will say its the coil but; I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU CHANGE THE SPARK PLUGS FIRST!.
    * 3rd - Carefully and cleanly replace all 4 sparkplugs with a socket extention and a new set of Plugs. (Pick up a new set of the best plugs you can afford (NGK/Champion) at your local Repco/Supercheap/French Auto Parts place)
    * 4th - Start car. Drive and see if poor behaviour returns (in 90%) most cases its just the plugs. If not it will be a coil, repeat step 2 to determine which one.
    * 5th - purchase a coil from Peugeot auto parts and replace your self (its easy).
    Costs>> Plugs about $35 for good NGK's
    Coils are about $175 from peugeot. (its actually Citroen part) but you can ask directly for a S16 ignition coil. Some place like French Auto parts in Atarmon might have them cheaper.

DEFFINATELY change the plugs first, and save the difference. Thats what my S16 has tought me. - Chris
    Last edited by CHRI'S16; 10th January 2005 at 10:06 AM.
    ... ptui!

had the similiar problem like yours sometime ago with my zx 16V...it would run fine from cold but start to run in three cylinders once its warmed up....replaced the spark plugs but problem still persisted....checked the ignition coil and found one piece faulty....if you pull out the coil, check the transformer part of the coil for any signs of burn marks (will be brown in colour)....find the coil that looks most burnt and change accordingly...it would be better if you can change the whole set as the coils will break down in time and you can keep the old ones as spare...

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Quote Originally Posted by senthil16V
    ...it would be better if you can change the whole set as the coils will break down in time and you can keep the old ones as spare...

Senthill, I'm assuming your still Malaysia; do you know how much coils are in Australia? Over $170 bucks EACH, to change all 4 is an over kill, my S16 has only burnt 1 coil in nearly 6 years and I only changed that 1 coil. No real need to change all 4, unless your rich or the parts are cheap. - Chris
    Last edited by CHRI'S16; 11th January 2005 at 01:23 PM.
    ... ptui!

well chris...even i have not changed all four of them yet....but im planning to get the set from uk as its only 80 pounds for the whole set...will be asking my uncle to bring it with him when he comes to visit us in May...in malaysia, each coil is priced at about 90 AUD each...you can get it cheaper if you buy it in singapore probably about 53 AUD each...

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Quote Originally Posted by senthil16V
    well chris...even i have not changed all four of them yet....but im planning to get the set from uk as its only 80 pounds for the whole set...will be asking my uncle to bring it with him when he comes to visit us in May...in malaysia, each coil is priced at about 90 AUD each...you can get it cheaper if you buy it in singapore probably about 53 AUD each...

Thats considerably cheaper, 80pound is close to $200 Au. So if you CAN afford that for the set then go for it. A set of four specific units here would go for nearly $700, assuming you bought genuine parts. I looked at the bosch aus distrbiution catalogue and could see any equivalent. I couldn't get a Valeo one. Singapore coils, would they be genuine PSA parts? Thanks for the eye opening info Senthil. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Icon14

yes chris...all parts from malaysia and singapore are original citroen peugeot parts...anyway, these coils are made by Magnetti Marelli....i found a Beru equivalent sometime ago in the net...you can check the Beru website...

i'll take some photos of my old coil and posted here for the fellow froggers for reference....

With Rgds,

Senthil16V

Thread Information