405 1990 4 wheel drive rear suspension bouncing
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon4 405 1990 4 wheel drive rear suspension bouncing

i have a problem in the rear end of my 1990 405, it bounces like a trampoline when it hits the slightest bump on the road....my thoughts are that the shocks are stuffed and when i went under the car to have a look...i was surprised to see that there are no visable shocks.....just something that looks like a bottle jack lying on its side.....so then i realised that this car has hydrolic suspension..( i bought this car two weeks ago as a run about so im new to owning a pug and dont know anything about them) i checked that the levelling is working and goes up and down by adjusting the ride height valve, no prob there so all i can think of is that the dampening part isnt working...my thoughts are that these two bottle jack looking things has to be replaced or repaired....i have been quoted here in New Zealand $330 plus tax each for heavy duty ones from peugeot and have to wait three weeks for them to arrive. and was also quoted $335 plus tax to get the existing ones rebuilt( strange that new heavy duty ones are cheaper than a rebuild!!!)....so was wondering if there was another alternative that some Pug lover out there could advise me on...cheers

Advertisement
    Last edited by scottcmb; 9th January 2005 at 01:20 AM.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

it could be that the sphere/s need regassing

otrher than that i have no idea but seeing as it is a citroen rear end in the car i would be checking that out first if the spheres in the 4WD 405's are the type that can be regassed
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

that sounds like the rebuild that i was quoted on.....do you think i would be better off getting the heavy duty ones and put them on my car??

if they are the ones that can be regassed then it should only cost at the most around $50 ea

if they can't be regassed then i have no idea

but if they can be regassed i'd be trying to find someone else to do the job

i'll check later on to see what i can see in the parts manual for the rear end of the 4WD 405
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

cheers dude...is there any info on my car that you need for checking?

only the year model but you already gave that info

as far as i can see they may not be spheres that can be regassed

3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

cheers dude...but unfortunatly i dont think i have a sphere that looks like that on my car...i have an oil canister that looks like the one on ya pic......but i followed where the oil lines that went from this canister and they went to a metel type thing that looks like a bottle jack with a rubber bellows type boot on the end of it as a dirt protector...and this bottle jack type thing lyes on its side

Take it to a Citroen dealer and they'll regas the sphere. It's the same as a BX rear end, but with only one sphere.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

i looked under my car and found the sphere.....does the sp here do the job of a shock absorber??

Thread Information