407 V6 Wheels Road Test
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 407 V6 Wheels Road Test

Has anyone seen the Wheels road test of the 407 V6? They were not very impressed. Any comments either way?

Advertisement

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Of course they don't think it is any good. It isn't a Ford or Holden.

I bought the latest Top Gear magazine by the way (What a discovery!! Best car mag around) and they reviewed the 407 wagon. They gave it 14/20 which is not too bad when they only gave the new Ferrari 16/20!
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Raffaele
    Has anyone seen the Wheels road test of the 407 V6? They were not very impressed. Any comments either way?
    This car had the fancy electronically adjusted suspension, which was the only real complaint except for the lack of interior space. This also got very bad reviews when fitted to the 605 and 607.

Graham

I'm not promising anything, but I thought it be appropriate to mention it.

Since Top Gear is not televised (sometimes it is but not properly - and its only on PayTV. NZ gets it on free-to-air every Sunday). I have been finding sources on the net to be able to download the episodes in fairly decent quality.

Once I have an entire years worth, I will be burning this to DVD and I can watch an entire season of it *on my TV* <in my best Jeremy Clarkson voice>

Those that may be interested, I will have to charge for the blank DVD's as well as postage.

But remember, this has not come to fruitition quite yet. So it still may not happen.

pips
    Ever wonder why Mad Scientist talk to themselves? They know others just wouldn't understand.

The software said "Windows 98 or better". So I installed Linux.

1990 405 Mi16

Fellow Frogger!

Default Long in nose short on test

Yes I read the test in shop tonight.

Now a very different test than usual. In that we had nearly all the first page talking about the long nose instead of the usual W....k about the indicators being on the wrong side!

Now I have driven a 407 on a test for Peugeot club in WA. The ride handling was good but I agee that rear suspension was not well controlled over low speed, speed humps in the rebound damping area. This did not cause any problems on a twisty road we used and car was extremely composed. Brakes excellent rear felt like glued to the road. The up market model with seat on lowest position does not allow feet under seat. I checked lower speck cars and yes feet do go under the seat. I would surmise that if this is a concern raising the electric seat should solve this.

I feel the car test was rather harsh and seemed to be negative from the start.

Remember tests are just one persons perspective and the more I read the less I sometimes believe they actually drove the car. I don't waste my money on Aussie road tests.

Graelin

Fellow Frogger!

Default Road Tests

I should add.

The Peugeot Dealer "Allpike"has agreed to supply a car a month for XTC and myself to
    drive and do a report for the Peugeot Car Club (WA) Magazine.

This is much appreciated and we look forward to reporting on new models as they arrive.

As a club we often ask or expect a lot from the dealers and we feel that this is a two way street. This relationship we have I believe gives a win for both parties.

Graelin

Quote Originally Posted by pips
    I'm not promising anything, but I thought it be appropriate to mention it.

Since Top Gear is not televised (sometimes it is but not properly - and its only on PayTV. NZ gets it on free-to-air every Sunday). I have been finding sources on the net to be able to download the episodes in fairly decent quality.

Once I have an entire years worth, I will be burning this to DVD and I can watch an entire season of it *on my TV* <in my best Jeremy Clarkson voice>

Those that may be interested, I will have to charge for the blank DVD's as well as postage.

But remember, this has not come to fruitition quite yet. So it still may not happen.

pips
    You are a genius. If you do, count me in. THe DVD you can get from the BBC is only a zone 2 and our player only plays zone 4. Crapolla. Isn't it funny how the really cheap DVD players let you play ANY DVD where the more pricey ones can only support single zone use.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

There is a website where you can download them as a bit torrent - I wont publish it here but PM me if you want the link. They normally have them up within 24-48 hours of the episode airing in the UK. I've got just about every episode which has aired in the past year and a half.

Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Banned

Icon14

FYI - Jeremy Clarkson of the Times, one of the toughest car critics around, slammed the 407 sedan (said buy a laguna instead) and gave it 2/5 stars but changes his mind dramatically with the 407 SW. But most reviews seem very favourable of the 407 generally.

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...6661_3,00.html

Yep...that Wheels Road test was the worst I've seen for the V6 model anywhere. Funny how two road testers who work for the same magazine can have totally opposing views on a car....

Long time former Wheels editor, (now Europe based) Peter Robinison's 407 road test for Wheels mid 2004 concluded that the 407 set the new benchmark in its class for ride, handling, steering and refinement. From memory it was the 2.2l 4 cyl with standard suspension though and not the V6. Most of the road tests I have read though prefer the set up on 4s and diesels over the electronically suspended V6.

Makes you wonder though why Peugeot who are reknown as for their excellent suspension setups bother experimenting with unnecessary and expensive electronics.....if it aint broke......

Anyway, I'm a very happy 407 (2.2l) owner....love the big snoz...love the car.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    There is a website where you can download them as a bit torrent - I wont publish it here but PM me if you want the link. They normally have them up within 24-48 hours of the episode airing in the UK. I've got just about every episode which has aired in the past year and a half.

Wish I could see them but I don't have broadband

Thank you 407er for your post.
    I too was dissappointed with the Wheels road test but didnt realise the suspension setup of the model tested and I do vaguely remember the Peter Robinson write up.
    I was starting to think that a 407 was off my wishlist to replace my 405

Decca
    Present --2016 2008 Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Thread Information