306 GTI 6 questions
  • Register
  • Help

Default 306 GTI 6 questions

I have been doing quite a bit of research on the GTI6 recently, and as yet have not really found any bad reviews or many reviews at all on these little gems of a car.

So I put it to the forum... are there any issues/ quibbles that I need to be aware of or to look out for before purchasing one?

Also does anyone know if someone is selling or willing to sell a 2000 (perhaps late 99) Model 306 GTI6?? If so let me know please

Rusty

Advertisement

Rusty,
    There are no bad reviews because it is a great car !! The only issues would be to make sure the GTi6 has been serviced properly and at the recommended intervals, preferably by a good Peugeot dealer. Cambelt change at 80000 km or even earlier along with the water pump and pre-tensioners is a must. If there is no record of this in service book, best to do it ASAP, no matter what the mileage. Also, make sure air-con and all electrical items are functioning properly.
    Sorry, my car is not for sale. Enjoying it too much.
    1999 Peugeot 306 Gti6 - fast, comfortable, sublime handling.

Previous :-
    206 XT ,405 SRi, 505 GTi, 505 GR, Citroen GS

Rusty, go to the Peugeot section and read this thread, 306 Timeline FAQ
    Its long but gives some really good info.
    Opinionated things I have heard/experianced are:
    *AWESOME (FUN) HANDLING combined with great 120+kw of power.
    *Well matched 6speed gearbox.
    *FUN to drive
    *Well apointed (ABS, AIRBAGS, A/C climate, CD player, power wdw, mirr, steer, leather or 1/ 2leather etc...)
    *Mechanicaly very solid and depedable.
    *FUN to hoot in
    *Unique Euro look, the N5 306 Gti6 really borrowed no (very little) styling from any other manufacturer.( Its a 306 , unlike a comodore which has lancer rear and lincon wanabe front.)
    *Relitevely well built
    *Oh did I mention they are ALOT of fun to drive?
    On the down side is..
    *Relatively poor finish whe compared to similar priced Honda/Toyota.
    *Poor turning circle for a 3 door hatch.
    *The indicator and ABS has known to play up.
    *The exhaust guards/baffles have also know to rattle over time.
    *Needs 95RON fuel (but its a sports hatch!)
    *Timing belt can be expensive service at the dealers, and MUST be done every 80,000Km.>> But all good cars need service anyway.
    *The CD/Radio that came with all N5's is a joke.
    *Seat mechs have know to fail, but rare.
    *Can be little hi on insurance, their not exactly a common.
    *Buil date Vs specification iregularities, like same build year car, but has different appointments (this applies to nearly all 306's though), nothing major but we have noticed this in the forum.
    ......WHO CARES ABOUT THAT WHEN THE CAR IS STILL KING-DADDY OF THE FWD PUGS!!!! - Chris
    ... ptui!

Diablo6

Can you explain a little more with regards to "water pump and pre-tensioners is a must".

I've just purchased a S16 didn't have enough dosh for GTI6. It had all the service records so I had it serviced ASAP and the CAM belt done at 98K.

Interested in your water pump and pre-tensioners comment

having owned one I would add to the list Chris has made.

con:
    *rattly dash, it has the french squeek that comes and goes
    *fan that can never be switched off
    *engine mounts (body point) can be prone to cracking (must check, easy repair)
    *no cruise
    *annoying auto wipers
    *heavy(ish) clutch that can be prone to notchy feel (cable problem)
    *prone to destroying batteries (temperature under the bonnet likely cause)
    *small glovebox and general lack of storage compartments.

pro:
    *its a Tardis. Huge occupant space (including rear passanger leg room) for the car in the same class
    *very good climate control
    *awesome aiconditioning on hot days
    *a lot of fun to drive

it is more of a luxury hatch when compared to some of the current sporty 3 door hatches. Due to its not-so-light stance (1270kg?) its definately not as snappy as a Clio or 205GTi. But its far from being shamed. Its weight just adds to its surefooted stance on highways and general driving. Relatively quiet and easy to drive and it still puts to shame a lot of modern "sporty" cars.
    If it had a towbar and capability to tow a car trailer I would still have mine.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Quote Originally Posted by buzzlite
    Diablo6

Can you explain a little more with regards to "water pump and pre-tensioners is a must".

I've just purchased a S16 didn't have enough dosh for GTI6. It had all the service records so I had it serviced ASAP and the CAM belt done at 98K.

Belt tensioner bearings tend to "go". Its a $40 part that would cost $$$ to replace due to labour involved. They aren't a problem if you cannot hear the bearing whine (as long as they turn).

Diablo6

At 98K its a little late for the timming belt, but at least its done. My s16 hasn't had pump or tentioner issues. I beleive its a little different from the gti-6 unit. - Chris
    ... ptui!

CHRI'S16

Was a little late for the Cam Belt - I would have thought that the PUG Dealer would have had the last owner do it !!!!! Lucky for me that I checked all the paperwork.

Is it expensive to do the engine mounts ? Have a rattle that appairs when coming of the accelerator or when the engine is under strain i.e. going up hill slow in first gear. Have been told that it could be a mounts.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

the only things i have found in the 7 years i have had my GTi-6 have been

rattly muffler
    thermo fans can fall off if not checked often
    power steering pump or should i say the relief valve died

i still do not have a rattly dash or any other of the things can people have mentioned

the clutch you get used to and it's not so bad

the turning circle isn't as bad as it sounds but it does have a turning circle akin to a commodore to the right, to the left it's around 2m smaller but you get used to it

the only thing that bugs me about the car is the carpet can be very hard to keep clean and a pain to vaccy out

timing belts have to be replaced every 80k or 4years or more often if the car is in city traffic a lot

water pumps only need to be replaced if the bearings are sus or the pump is leaking (a slight weep is ok)

idlers need to be checked when belts are done but don't get the through peugeot as last time i checked they wanted $200ea for them

but they are an absolute hoot to drive

don't bother with the glovebox as it's basically non existent but it will accomodate a pair of gloves
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

I love my 6. I still haven't been game to find its limits.

A 2000 model will be hard to find. I believe they were updated in '99 to the series 3 with colour coded door trims etc. I have seen only 2 around Melbourne in the time I have been keeping an eye out for them. If you find one they are gold I tell ye. Mine is a '98 and a series 2 but only done 60,000km (I've done 15K since!!). I have no rattles or anything like that. The car is so quiet on long country runs.

My only gripe is the fricken air con which IS STILL NOT WORKING!!! Those who have the fan continually on you don't know how lucky you are!!
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    the turning circle isn't as bad as it sounds but it does have a turning circle akin to a commodore to the right, to the left it's around 2m smaller but you get used to it
    Turning to the right my VX commy does my street without too many problems. GTi6 required a 3 point turn. I got really good at doing figure 8 u-turns.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    idlers need to be checked when belts are done but don't get the through peugeot as last time i checked they wanted $200ea for them
    Paul Vassallo mentioned GM units (commodore V6 I think he said) fit easily.

CHRI'S16

Was a little late for the Cam Belt - I would have thought that the PUG Dealer would have had the last owner do it !!!!! Lucky for me that I checked all the paperwork.

Is it expensive to do the engine mounts ? Have a rattle that appairs when coming of the accelerator or when the engine is under strain i.e. going up hill slow in first gear. Have been told that it could be a mounts.

The engine mounts/cost vary. The most common mount to go is the top LHS mount, from memory Colliers ask about $95 for the mount plus 1 hour labour. The other mounts just grow in cost(because of the long labour involved in changing them) HOWEVER, your problem sounds exhaust related, the S16 exhaust is different (read cheaper) from the Gti-6, but suffers similar issues. The flex joint is poor in a S16 and the heat baffles often rub against the exhaust as the engine flexes in its mounts, hence why your car does it under load/getting of throttle. Have the exhaust checked, the second time I needed some new exhaust rubbers and that fixed it for $45. - Chris
    ... ptui!

CHRI'S16 - Thanks for that - I had a muffle shop look at it and they found the mid section (behind the CAT) had a leak so I had that section replaced. But it does sound like the exhaust is flexing. I'll get the PUG Dealer to look at it during its next service.

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    pro:
    *awesome aiconditioning on hot days
    is it possible to classify that as a 'pro'

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

Thread Information