Cooling of 405Mi16 water and oil-some queries
  • Register
  • Help

Cooling of 405Mi16 water and oil-some queries

Guys
    I use my 89 Mi16 for Targa tarmac rallying in the shaky isles.During hard driving in special stages, the water reaches 100-110C and oil reaches up to 110 C.
    My sump guard was not vented with entry holes or exit holes, so finned ali sump was not being air cooled. I have since remedied that with slight improvement to oil temp. I run 500ml overfil of oil during events for extra protection.
    The car still has factory air con fitted, with condenser in front of radiator and all attendent plumbing.
    Should I get rid of a/c, incl compressor(save some weight there) to get better air flow to water cooling and motor generally?
    And should I fit a Pug. OE oil cooler that screws onto the oil filter stud, with air/oil cooling radiator? What is approx. cost this oil cooler set up?
    I have recently removed the underbonnet insulation, and packed the rear bonnet hinges with 2 0r 3 washers to lift rear of bonnet to allow hot air to escape. Should I also be venting the bonnet to improve under bonnet cooling.
    Racing/rallying experienced input would be very welcomed. The car is very enjoyable to tarmac rally/hillclimb, and is having a Quaife LSD fitted today, which I bought on the Frogs "bulk deal" back in January '03.
    Cheers
    Don mallet

Advertisement

I take it yours doesn't have any oil cooling at present? I run a external oil coiler on my 205 and don't have any problems with oil temp. Get a std. 205GTi screw on fitting, cut off the std. fittings and silver solder on new fittings to suit aftermarket oil coolers and hoses. I'll email the cooler size when I get home.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thanks for both replies Peter.
    No, I dont have any oil cooling at present.
    Should I have the a/c gear removed, as it really isin't necessary, but would be an additional cost to remove?
    I will look forward to your reply re oil cooler element.
    Cheers
    Don

It's just been pointed out to me by Owen W, that it's easier to drop the cross member, rather than remove the gearbox.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Thread Information