what battery suits a 306
  • Register
  • Help

Default what battery suits a 306

Hi

battery seems to have konked it amoungst other things with my 306.

what battery suits a 306??
    what good, cheap & effective?

thanks

AR

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

12 volts

whatever is cheapest a KMart that fits - should be no more than $55. Don't pay for the fancy ones with 3-4 years limited warranty, waste of money.

Barry.

Icon13 You onl get what you pay 4

Purr-geot,
    You'd be best off to find out what capacity is recommended for the car and stick with it. A car like a late 306 will have a reasonably high power demand would possibly require an 11 plate battery.
    My experience with batteries over the years is go with the 'big' brands, the cheap ones from soupa-cheep are just that. C*#p. I have an exide here that is over 4 years old, gets charged every 2 weeks, and starts a R10/12 engine monthly with out a hassle, when charged.
    We currently have a Century 11 plate 550CCA in the 505 and it's excellent.
    in the long run, it's good economics to get the best you can afford.
    Chris
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Asanka, you know what my S16 gets up to. You know how picky I am and you know that i play the stereo loud...
    I would "invest" in a red-top OPTIMA Gel-Cell battery. Mine is over 5 years (nearly 6) old. REALLY 100% maintenance free (it has no acid) and packs 800cca all for $340. I know thats a lot for a battery but I have yet to have an electrical fault with the pug. Its proven in itself in 2 other cars and when I had the big JL audio and Kenwood setup it performed faultlessly. It didn't mind being completely flatened (read 6-7Volts) and charged again.
    Then when I sell the pug i will remove it and place the Optima in my next car.- Chris

ps as you can see I can't say enough about the brand.http://www.dcbattery.com/optima2.html
    ... ptui!

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY
    Purr-geot,
    You'd be best off to find out what capacity is recommended for the car and stick with it. A car like a late 306 will have a reasonably high power demand would possibly require an 11 plate battery.
    My experience with batteries over the years is go with the 'big' brands, the cheap ones from soupa-cheep are just that. C*#p. I have an exide here that is over 4 years old, gets charged every 2 weeks, and starts a R10/12 engine monthly with out a hassle, when charged.
    We currently have a Century 11 plate 550CCA in the 505 and it's excellent.
    in the long run, it's good economics to get the best you can afford.
    Chris
    I agree, don't go for something cheap... I had a cheap battery in my 205. I left the lights on by mistake for about an hour by mistake and it went flat, called the RACQ and what do you know that battery had a dead cell to show for it... Iíve done a lot worse to batteries in the past and had nothing to show for it... I now have a $120 dry cell battery (think its an exide), and I can tell the difference, just by the way the car kicks over... it really isn't worth buying a cheap and nasty Kmart battery thatís not going to last the distance. You're only going to have to replace it sooner then a good battery

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

you are going to be needing a euro styled battery so they start at around the $100 mark anyway
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

As much as Chris likes his Optima, I hear they're rubbish. MYT205 (Darren) works for a battery place that has sorted out GTI124 and Brenno with a quality battery... not sure of the brand and type though... send him a PM...
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    As much as Chris likes his Optima, I hear they're rubbish. ...
    ..were did you hear that Linc? Your not confusing them with Odessy units are you? This is my third Optima in 12 years if owning/playing with cars. Several of the big-time stereo systems I did years ago are still on their Optima.... I'm quite suprised, its probably the very high price tag that has put people off.
    If Darren can get a good battery at a discount price the perhaps Asanka is best to go with that. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Oddysey batteries are shit. DO NOT get one whatever your needs.

Optima batteries would be the pick if you wanted something that needs to be mounted on its side or upside down etc.

In all other cases I would go for a good heavy duty maintenance free battery. It will cost you half the price and do the same job. A good battery of this type will last you the same period of time that Chris' Optimas have. The most important thing is to get the BEST, CORRECT battery for your car. Don't get something "that will do". You DO get what you pay for in most cases.

And whatever you do DO NOT get a battery from places such as those that have "No Real Mechanic Available". We get more people come in wanting to throw their batteries as far as they can more than any others.

Check out www.apollobatteries.com.au for where I work and where our branches are. If you do get one of ours get a "Rocket" battery.

Hope that helps.

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Hi

battery seems to have konked it amoungst other things with my 306.

what battery suits a 306??
    what good, cheap & effective?

thanks

AR
    The recommended size battery for a Pug 306 in DIN53L. This is a 13plate 480CCA battery. NOTE, DIN batteries have recessed posts and are not as high as the standard batteries so it's best if you stay with the DIN type. If you buy a different type you may have problems with the battery being too high and terminals shorting out.

Ren
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REN TIN TIN
    The recommended size battery for a Pug 306 in DIN53L. This is a 13plate 480CCA battery. NOTE, DIN batteries have recessed posts and are not as high as the standard batteries so it's best if you stay with the DIN type. If you buy a different type you may have problems with the battery being too high and terminals shorting out.

Ren

not only that but the lid won't fit back on the battery box
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Even more concerning, higher battery posts will likely cause the batttery to jump do to no lid and make contact with the bonet easier. Bad bad bad situation. Get a DIN whatever you do.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

If you get the right battery, whether it be maintenance free or whatever, you will not have any problems with terminal post heights.

Thread Information