306 GTI engines run ruff ?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

306 GTI engines run ruff ?

Hi,

The engine on my 1997 306 GTI 6 runs ruff up to 4000. The problem is worst @ 3000 rpm. The engine vibratation can be felt in the cabin. I took it to a Peugeot dealer who charged me $120 to tell me GTI engines run ruff.

Advertisement

It's kinda like the timing is wrong. The virbration is there from idle. At 4000 rpm the engine is going fast enough to disguise the vibration.

some info:

- engine done 60,000 km
    - using 98ron petrol (Shell optimax)
    - drives OK . No flat spots. Seems to perform OK. (not that I have driven an other GTI6)
    - replaced spark plugs
    - spark plugs are not blackened or glazed
    - spark plug coils OK.
    - ECU does not show any errors
    - oxygen sensor OK.
    - does not change weather engine is hot or cold
    - engine does not ping
    - no engine or exhast modifications.
    - car moving or not moving.
    - engine mounts appear to be OK.

Fellow Frogger!
    Sounds like the usual XU exhaust vibration at 3k.

(GTi-6 has XU10 engine right?)

Tadpole
    XU10J4RS

It did have an exhast vibration/noise problem at about ~3500 rpm but there was a broken bolt which was replace.

The whole engine shakes at all revs.

Fellow Frogger!
    Ray, I have a 97 model too. Are you referring to revving it in neutral?

Tadpole
    When revving in neutral and it does seem to be there when in gear, I havenít had it on a dyno though.

Fellow Frogger!
    When I bought mine, it had 70,000kms on the clock and I thought it was a bit rough.

A mate said it had unburnt fuel (black smoke) coming out the back when I was going hard.

My first thought was that the injectors were getting a bit clogged and the spray pattern was out of whack.

I used Nulon total fuel system cleaner, fanged about and cruised on the highway and noticed an incredible overall improvement after finishing that tank of fuel.

Another thing is the exhaust header maybe rubbing up hard against the heatshield and consequently causing the car to shake. Mine touches at certain rev ranges and causes a bloody riot (even after Peugeot adjusted it.)

Has your car always done this, or was it a sudden change?

Perhaps the harmonic balancer (if applicable) on the crank pulley is damaged or defective.

A more serious problem would be with the clutch or flywheel...

Anyway it sounds like some sort of reciprocating or rotating part that's funky, if your vibration is indeed unusual.

I'd be sure the exhaust system is mounted correctly and the rubber hangers are in good shape.

I'd also re-verify that the motor mounts are alright. I worked on a 1.9 405 Mi16 one time which exhibited a light "out-of-balance" tremor between 2000 and 3000 RPM, all due to the motor mounts.

-Joe G.

This sort of vibration could be due to any of the causes listed above, but it can also come from seemingly unlikely sources. I've seen it on my old DS when it had a loose alternator bolt, on a couple of Peugeots with sloppy or improperly tightened down engine mounts, On another Peugeot with a loose radiator bolt, on cars with poorly adjusted exhaust systems etc etc etc.

Assuming that the engine is actually running properly ( electronic testing is probably the best way to eliminate this) , tracking it down is usually a matter of working your way through absolutely everything that is connected to the engine (and that means just about evrything on the car ultimately) and can transmit vibrations back to it.
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thread Information