405 remote central locking q
  • Register
  • Help
    MrV

Icon5 405 remote central locking q

hey everyone,

last week i bought my first pug a red 1994 405 sri, manual. it is a very neat, and i absolutely love driving it

however, as with most second hand cars, there are a few issues to be fixed up to get it in tip-top condition.

my main question relates to the remote on the key. mine came with no button so i dont know if my electronics work or not. i went into city peugeot here in brisbane and the guy informed me i need the code so they can send off my key to france for a replacement. $150 ouch. but i do want it working so i'll bite the bullet. now, since my code isnt in the key, i was informed that it is somewhere in the roof lining? i'm guessing the receiver is the blacked out little plastic bit just behind the map-reading light in the roof.

is that where it is and how on earth do i get to it? the car didnt come with the service & repair manual, i cant get it till friday arvo.

any info relating to this would be greatly appreciated

just as an aside, the oil sump level gauge in the dash is weird. when i have all the ignition on (just before start) it comes on and the needle sits in the red, but when i turn the motor on it just stops working and falls back. i have checked the oil level and its ok, so is that meant to happen or is it a drama?

thanks all...

Advertisement

I can't answer the central locking question I have given up on my remote on my mi16 but the oil gauge just before you start the car as far as I am aware is measuring the oil quantity in the sump. If it sits in the red before start up the oil level must be perfect.

the oil level gauge turns into the oil temp gauge after the engine has started, thats why its drops off at first, should work its way back up, if not the sender or wiring is buggered
    '91 Peugeot 405 Mi16 - only just run in......

1000+ Posts

As stated, it's measuring the oil level before startup, and the oil temp after startup - however, it should be in the yellow sector when there's enough oil. From all reports, they aren't that accurate sometimes.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    From all reports, they aren't that accurate sometimes.

Stuey
    definately true, the level measuring sensor must be in a different area to the dipstick
    '91 Peugeot 405 Mi16 - only just run in......

Fellow Frogger!

Hi

To get at the remote central locking unit in the roof to read the code follow these steps.

Make sure the ignition is OFF! Its very very easy to short the terminal under the map light to your screwdriver & blow the fuse.

Use a small flat blade screwdriver & pop the map reading light out of the roof consul.

Undo the 2 screws you can now see holding the consul to the roof.

Unclip the two sunvisors & tilt the back of the consul down & away.

The black box with the black plug with 4 wires under the plastic dome is the remote locking control box, On this box is a Yellow sticker with the CODE.

When you put it back together, Make sure you line the front clips up correctly & dont trap any wires either.

The oil level gauge, The left Mini 3rd should light up red & the other 2/3rds should light up white.
    When you turn the ignition on the gauge should light up & the needle should go to Maxi.
    When you start the engine the gauge will go off, It cant measure the level while the oils sloshing around the engine.

The oil sump sensor is either screwed into the engine block just to the right of the oil filter or The rear left hand side of the engine block, It all depends what engine you have.
    2003 Pug 206 GLX TU3JP

Icon6

The infrared 'plips' are a lot of hassle in my opinion.

Of six family Pugs with this setup, all six have stopped working for no particular reason!!

I'd go for an aftermarket solution (such as a Cyclops), with an imobiliser because:
    • they're reliable
    • you don't have to aim it perfectly at the IR sensor
    • it works well from a car-length distance away
    • insurance is cheaper with an immobiliser installed

Good luck with your IR setup - I hope you have more fortune than some!

MrV

Icon10

thanks leepower for the steps... i have the code now! ha

thanks to everyone else for the info about the oil gauge as well... double gauge, hmm? interesting...

at present, when i turn the ignition to ON, the gauge lights up, moves about 1/8th up the red area and seems to get stuck, then nothing happens after the car is started (not even lights on the gauge)

anyway, i stuck my head under the car today and saw something that could explain my gauge. at the bottom front of the sump (big silver thing, yes? ) there is a blue electrical connection which isn't connected to anything at the moment. is that the sender switch? i cant see any obvious missing wires from the area so perhaps it was ripped out for some reason? h

a little further up the sump there seems to be a couple of screw holes and a larger hole where something goes in... should i be worried because there is nothing in it?

if it helps i have a 2L series 2....

thanks again

farmerdave

The oil level gauge on the series 2 405 sri is only a level gauge- it has no temperatuyre indication function. The dual gauge was only used on MI 16 cars as I understand.
    The blue plug at the front of the sump was disconnected when I got my 405, I plugged it back in (colour coded) and the gauge works and is suprisingly reliable if the car has been sitting for 15 min or so. I don't remember if it worked before I plugged it in though so it may not be the level sensor
    I don't remember a hole or plug above it, i'll have a look tomorrow.

Farmerdave

Fellow Frogger!

The sensor with the blue connector screwed into the sump is for the oil temperature.

Only the MI16 / Mi16 Le Mans / T16 had the dual function oil gauge fitted so you can leave this blue plug unplugged on a SRI, The later 405s didnt even have the unused temp sensor installed.

This is what a oil level gauge looks like at start up: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...LevelGauge.jpg

Notice the needle SHOULD point to Maxi if the levels correct!

The Pug parts CD has the Oil level probe very close to the dipstick on the engine, Have a look around that area.

You have the XU10J2 engine on the SRI
    Last edited by LeePower; 8th January 2005 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Add info & picture
    2003 Pug 206 GLX TU3JP

MrV

thanks again leepower...

well i'm 90% sure that the physical level in the car is ok, but my gauge definitely doesn't go up as far as in that picture. seems to jam or something. as stated before, about 1/8th the way up. so, if its just an oil level gauge it will turn off and stay off with the motor running right?

i think i found the level sensor you are referring to. i have one wire coming out of a green plug. the wire is green, or green with a white stripe. cant quite remember now.

its going to an auto electricians soon so should i point this out to him as a possible source of the problem? visually it looks fine though, the wire was a little tight but otherwise good.

cheers

The most relaible oil level sensor in the world = A DIPSTICK!

Oil level gauges in both Pugs and Cits are notoriously unreliable.... !

My worth....
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

DC
    Tadpole

been having big problems with my temp gauge in my series 1 Mi, all the advice here has help me greatly and i thank you all.

on another point i'm not totally happy with my mechanic at the moment, can someone from sydney around the hills area suggest someone they have been happy with ? thanks again

Only place I'd be taking a Pug 405 is to Paul Vassalo in Gladesville...Behind Gladesville Prestige Cars on Victoria Road...

Have heard nothing but good things about Paul and his knowledge of 405's is highly regarded....

BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by MrV
    thanks again leepower...

well i'm 90% sure that the physical level in the car is ok, but my gauge definitely doesn't go up as far as in that picture. seems to jam or something. as stated before, about 1/8th the way up. so, if its just an oil level gauge it will turn off and stay off with the motor running right?

i think i found the level sensor you are referring to. i have one wire coming out of a green plug. the wire is green, or green with a white stripe. cant quite remember now.

its going to an auto electricians soon so should i point this out to him as a possible source of the problem? visually it looks fine though, the wire was a little tight but otherwise good.

cheers

Hi

As soon as the motor is started & is running, The oil level gauge will go OFF.

Heres what the oil level gauge should look like with the engine RUNNING

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nningGauge.jpg
    Last edited by LeePower; 9th January 2005 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Add picture
    2003 Pug 206 GLX TU3JP

Thread Information