GTI 180 issues
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: GTI 180 issues

Tadpole

Default GTI 180 issues

Hi Guys,

I have had my 180 for about a month and a half now and absolutely love driving it.

Below are a few niggly issues that i have found which may be nothing, but I wanted your advice anyway:-

1. Out of a full tank i can only get around 330 - 340kms. I have been driving it very conservatively as well. No Fanging yet. I also use BP ultimate (98 octane) fuel. This cant be normal even if it was being driven hard?

2. When driving around without air con I feel a great amount of hot air coming in from the engine bay into the drivers cabin. Once again driving it normally without thrashing it.

3. Using aircon on the hot days we have been having in NSW prior to XMAS, i found that the engine start making loud sounds (much like an engine that needs tuning). Is this also normal?

I would appreciate any feedback and any other heads up you can give me.

Advertisement

Thanks.

toy180

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by toy180
    1. Out of a full tank i can only get around 330 - 340kms. I have been driving it very conservatively as well. No Fanging yet. I also use BP ultimate (98 octane) fuel. This cant be normal even if it was being driven hard?

2. When driving around without air con I feel a great amount of hot air coming in from the engine bay into the drivers cabin. Once again driving it normally without thrashing it.
    New cars run rich .. a wouldn't think THAT rich, I'd still expect you to get 500kms out of a tank, unless it's all stop start traffic. Also expect at least 5+ litres in the tank when the trip computer reads 0kms left ...

Aircon blowing warm when off ... yep happens to all of us, just leave it on.

Oh and welcome to AF

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Tadpole

Icon7

Thanks XTC.

They are great things to drive arent they! Is there a gti 180 club or something like that that organises drive days??

XTC

Thanks XTC. They are great things to drive arent they! Is there a gti 180 club or something like that that organises drive days??
    You will find "informal" drives on AF pop up every now and again. There is also the local Peugeot Car Club NSW, which you might consider joining. Also take a look at 206GTi.net and the Yahoo Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/peugeot-206gti/

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    Hello toy! Congrats on purchasing the countries finest hatch (now, lets see who that stirs up!!)

How many k's you got on it?? What sort of driving you doing? How many litres do you put in when filling the tank?
    Thanks jester_fu
    I have 2800 km's on it at the moment. 90% city driving and 10% highway driving. Ive been putting in close to 40L in a fill.

Yeah... everyone has this just like XTC said. You can use the ECO function or stop the hot air by turning the temp to the lowest setting and letting the system run for a minute, then turning it off again or switching to ECO. Most of you city folk seem to run with it on all the time...

Can't say it's normal, but then your description is a little vague. It might run a little rough at first, but this should even out as the ECU finds its footing and learns to deal with all of that stuff. If it persists after 1000km or so, get your dealer to have a look at it.
    It starts making an shuddering type sound in the engine bay. I am getting the computer problem fixed tomorrow at the dealers so I will bring it up with him.

Did any of you guys have to get the computer reprogrammed and was it a major thing??

Thanks once again for your help.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

could be an out of balance thermo fan
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Administrator

Hello toy! Congrats on purchasing the countries finest hatch (now, lets see who that stirs up!!)
    Apparently everyone else is happy with their cars and feels no need to respond....

i would have reponded earlier ....but i have been on the ground for hours lauhing at Jester_fu's comments

it sure is australia's finest hatch. 1 out of 3 owners seem to do nothing but talk about how things dont work.

enjoy your new car while its still in one piece (ok that was harsh) i am being quite the cynic tonight.

welcome to aussiefrogs, and may your stay be a long one.

Computer re-program is not really an issue. Mines been done and i can't notice any difference. Just make sure you take in your little card and both keys.
    Why? No one's ever asked me to do that before.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Why? No one's ever asked me to do that before.
    Try and start your car with the second key . The card is just so they don't have to look it up on the central (France) computer.

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

toy-boy,

If you don't customarily use your air all the time (I get the feeling that some 206 drivers are worried about using it all up, or turning soft), then you might not have noticed that the compressor sometimes needs to put in some overtime on a hot day. That's my tip for what your under-bonnet noise is ...

It's called climate control, and you've paid for it, whether you use it or not. In 120,000km and across several summers, mine's never moved from the 21 it arrived on.
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by mr bern
    toy-boy,

If you don't customarily use your air all the time (I get the feeling that some 206 drivers are worried about using it all up, or turning soft), then you might not have noticed that the compressor sometimes needs to put in some overtime on a hot day. That's my tip for what your under-bonnet noise is ...

It's called climate control, and you've paid for it, whether you use it or not. In 120,000km and across several summers, mine's never moved from the 21 it arrived on.
    Thanks for an absolutely useless answer Mr Bern,

I dont know about you but I am not afraid of the outside world while driving and choose not to use the CLIMATE CONTROL when its unnecessary.

I commend you on your unbelievable achievement of being able to keep your AC on 21. It must make you proud!

For your info buddy, It was a faulty unit. Maybe I should keep driving my Megane 225 and leave the 180 to the missus.

Anyhow, I would like to thank you for your input (maybe you thought it was witty at the time it was written).

I commend you on your unbelievable achievement of being able to keep your AC on 21.
    Heck, that's one of my lesser accomplishments (though many apparently can't).

So I take it you don't think that's the reason? Maybe you should keep driving your Megane ...
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

I dont know about you but I am not afraid of the outside world while driving and choose not to use the CLIMATE CONTROL when its unnecessary.

I commend you on your unbelievable achievement of being able to keep your AC on 21. It must make you proud!

For your info buddy, It was a faulty unit. Maybe I should keep driving my Megane 225 and leave the 180 to the missus.

Anyhow, I would like to thank you for your input (maybe you thought it was witty at the time it was written).
    Well said Toy180, glad to hear you got it sorted.
    -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    2004 Black 206 GTi 180
    -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

And thanks also to you for throwing abuse at someone offering advice in response to a question you asked. I predict a long and fruitful time here for you if you continue that sort of thing

Getting back on topic, as there are lots of units, which particular unit was faulty, as you said in your post?
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

XTC

Everyone KNOWS the 180 is a girls car, so perhaps you should.

Chill out dude .. we're all on the same side, no need to come on so strong ...

- xTc -

[edit] - Oh, you never know when you'll be meeting these people face to face.
    Last edited by XTC206; 7th January 2005 at 02:56 PM.

Now this is a .sig

Right then,

Apologies to all who may have been offended, seriously.

Now, what was faulty and how was it fixed?
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    [edit] - Oh, you never know when you'll be meeting these people face to face.
    I apologise to all who were offended. I merely saw it as an unprovoked attack from a stranger and responded (to what I thought was) appropriately.

It was a shock when everyone has been so helpful.

Oh, I look forward to meeting you all XTC.

toy180

Tadpole

Hi guys im Jason from Brisbane and i have a new 206 GTI 180. it now has 3300 kms on it and has just had its first 1500km check up. I to have had quite a few problems with the car. Notably the central locking, it thinks its left hand drive somehow. The dealer is fixing it by replacing the actuator in the drivers door. I am still waiting for the standard factory fitment floor mats to arrive, and am having some heating problems with the cooling system. If i drive the car hard for about 10 minutes and let the car sit for a minute the temp goes over 100. same with the oil temp aswell. and i cant hear a fan going at all. i think the fan might not be working. the dealer will look at it for me when i take it back for the central locking to be fixed. With regards to the fuel issues i see TOY180 is complaining about, i was getting 450 to 500 out of the tank when i was running it in (up to 1500kms) but now with my slightly higher driving demands i am averaging around 400. i to use premium each tank, but do drive the car hard. i am actually pretty impressed as i have a freind with an 2002 WRX STI who is getting an average of 300 out of his tank with 5000kms on it. so really it isnt to bad. remember that around the city driving will use alot more fuel. My 180's aircon is awesome. its very cold when on the lowest setting but i use the eco setting when driving hard as it provides better engine control and i know it is better for the car. i to have had the discepency with the trip computer, a few times when the guage shows a quarter tank, the trip computer says nothing (no fuel). but i am guessing that is to do with the symptoms jester_fu was talking about.

anyway i to am looking for a club to join in brisbane and am yet to find one. i came from a BMW of which i was a member of the QLD BMW club that had numerous track days and i really enjoyed them. it would be nice to find a club for Peugoet's that does somethng similar. anyway i am stoked with the 180's performance and am sure there is a definate difference in the cars performance after having the software upgrade for the ECU with regards to the recall, if anyone has had that yet. the dealer mechanic told me the fuel and ignition maps are now different and the camshaft mapping is better. this helps with engine braking and the mixtures are now better suited to australian conditions. i must say i beleive the car has more power and now takes better advantage of the close ratio gearbox by the engine revs lowering much much faster. i have recorded average 0-100km times under 7 seconds having three people time me at the same time for 3 runs.

anyway its nice to meet you all and i will chat to you guys some more later.

Jason

check out the Peugeot car club of queensland's website http://www.peugeotclubqld.org.au/indexf.html and join up if you want.

Also, there are usually a fair few drive days to which you can atend that are organised through this board

Also while i'm at it, for something more specific to 206 GT's check out 206GTi.net and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/peugeot-206gti/

one more thing, there is an SE qld meet that i'm organizing. check out the social events and meets forum
    Last edited by orestes; 8th January 2005 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 206 GTI 180
    Hi guys im Jason from Brisbane and i have a new 206 GTI 180. it now has 3300 kms on it and has just had its first 1500km check up. I to have had quite a few problems with the car.
    Hey Jason. Welcome to the wonderful/quirky world of Peugeots. I think you'll find that with the software upgrade a lot of the issues you've had with the car will be rectified. I haven't had any problems since I had an upgrade done some months ago.

In relation to fuel economy, the best is yet to come. When I first bought mine I was just a little concerned about how much fuel I was going through. The first tank disappeared in less than 400km of highway driving. Now, though, I'm getting between 430-500 of city driving (with a few kms of highway thrown in) and averaging just over 9 litres per 100km around town. Of course if I have a period where I'm driving a bit harder that figure goes up, but even then it sits around 10 litres per hundred. This has gradually improved over time. I now have over 17,000kms on the clock. I think my driving style has changed, too, to match the car. And that probably helps.

As regards meets. I don't hear much about the QLD Peugeot club anymore, but I wouldn't mind getting together a group of 180 owners here in Brisbane. Would be interesting to meet up occasionally.

My 180's aircon is awesome. its very cold when on the lowest setting but i use the eco setting when driving hard as it provides better engine control and i know it is better for the car.
    I'm not convinced that using the eco setting when doing some "spirited" driving equates to better engine control. Would you care to explain what you mean in another way?

As for the air con, yeah it works great - though using the air con on the lowest setting somehow seems to be defeating the purpose of the term "climate control." If you let it behave the way it should, ie. setting it at a reasonable temperature, it will never be too cold, no?

Oh, and BTW, welcome to AussieFrogs
    Last edited by SLC206; 8th January 2005 at 05:17 PM.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

XTC

Oh, I look forward to meeting you all XTC. toy180
    Might be sooner then you think

- xTc -

Now this is a .sig

Hi guys im Jason from Brisbane and i have a new 206 GTI 180. ... With regards to the fuel issues i see TOY180 is complaining about, i was getting 450 to 500 out of the tank when i was running it in (up to 1500kms) but now with my slightly higher driving demands i am averaging around 400. i to use premium each tank, but do drive the car hard.
    Welcome aboard, Jason -- always room for one more enthusiast.

I think that previous discussions on 206gti.net resolved that you'll run a different ECU program once you hit 1,000kms and (I seem to recall) 10,000 kms. You don't need to change anything -- it should just happen, and the first you might notice of it will be in your fuel economy, which should show a noticeable improvement once you pass each threshold.
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    I'm not convinced that using the eco setting when doing some "spirited" driving equates to better engine control. Would you care to explain what you mean in another way?
    The aircon takes power from the engine. As a pretty extreme example, when we had temps in the mid 40s last January I was driving my 306 and thought there was something badly wrong with it. I'd put my foot on the accelerator and then could count to 2 before there was a decent response from the engine. The lag was terrible and VERY noticeable. Even when the power came on, it was very reduced and seemed to lack torque. For some reason I decided to turn the a/c off & all of a sudden the car was back to peak. The effect was immediate.

So yeah, aircon can have a huge affect on engine responsiveness & performance.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information