Input on a few possible cars?
  • Register
  • Help

Input on a few possible cars?

Peugeot 205 GTI 1989 5 speed 2 door, red, 11 months rego, fully optioned, mag wheels, alarm, air conditioned, CD player, sports exhaust, tinted windows, excellent condition, 168000kms, $8500 or near offer, CTY-582

Peugeot 405 Mi16 1989, excellent condition, 12 months rego, new tyres, new battery, power windows, power steering, ABS, sunroof, leather trim, $8500 or near offer, UNE-485

Advertisement

Damaged Peugeot 205 GTi, 5 speed, central locking, rear damage, still drives, just out of rego, $2300 negotiable, XEL-349. DL-17629. Karmart Autos

Peugeot 205 GTi 1988 model, charcoal grey, immobiliser, electric windows, 4 months rego, good condition, $5800, VFV-632

just a few i am looking at, anyone got any input on whether these are good/bad value?

You really have to see and drive the cars to know for sure. Some people dismiss cars as no good just because of the cheap price advertised, but sometimes you can be surprised by just how good they can be (but often not). There's no subsitute for seeing the cars in the flesh.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

ohhh,

This should be a fun topic!

Does it have to be one of those cars?
    eg 205gti/405MI16
    If it just has to be a Peugeot you could find a pretty damn good 505/504/maybe 404 for less, each have their own good points, tho slower

Have you physically seen many in this price range?, What kind of condition are you expecting?
    The ones i've seen like these are always "well used" by this stage....neither the 405s or 205s age well IMHO....both sqweak, rattle and generally fall apart from an interior/exterior point of view, especially series 1 205 interiors...

Mechanically they're quite tough and relatively cheap.

So if anything, i'd concentrate slighty more on bodies/interiors than mechanicals when evaluating them.......(very slightly)

Anyway, i'm sure none of this is news to anyone here.....and there are probably a few contrary opinions out there

Best of luck, it's not all that easy to find "really good" example of either, at any price these days......
    ________
    Buy a new condo in Pattaya
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 02:04 AM.

Fellow Frogger!
    That much for a 205 GTI

sheeit, in NZ you can get them for under $NZ 5k, good cond too, you can pick up 1.6 gtis for bloody 2 to 2.5k

My 205 GTi (1.9, '88) was $4k, with full service history at continental cars New market...

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey Eddie, Solvent from nzgames here

Do you reckon I could pickup an XS/GT 205 for $1500-2000 in aucks, I am desperately in need of one right now :///

loooks like my price range is 7-10ish, and i could stretch if something really good came up. it really has to be an mi16 or a 205gti, because i really like both, but i was considering for a while *shock* a holden calibra (they are fully imported opel) but the pugs have a bit more character. there are a few mi16s around, all 89 models with around 150,000kms, i dont mind fixing interior creaks, cracks in seats, etc. as anything my dad and i can't do we can get done very cheaply. keep talking if you have any input on the matter!

Fellow Frogger!
    I love the look of the Mi16 except I've always thought it lacked a suitable engine. The engine suits the 205, revvy, good for a light lil`car but not for a big sedan.

Ideally every Mi16 should have had the 405 T16 engine or a V6 )

1000+ Posts
    Nick, the Calibra is basically the last model Opel Vectra chassis. Not a Peugeot, for sure, in the driving stakes.

OK if you wear a chest wig though...

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Stuey,

Yeah, thats what puts me off owning one, they are quick and handle ok, but nowhere near as nice as the mi16 my dad and I took for a test, and i'd fit right in with guido, enzo and fangio down at foottascray in their excels. Nah did some more thinking tonight, and the mi16 is the car i will look for. I'll get bagged a bit by my mates if i drive a hatch haha, i'll just have to make up for the peformance deficit between the 205gti and the mi16 with a few mods!

[ 10 November 2001: Message edited by: nchandler ]

I purchased my 205 GTI from a dealer in march of 99,115,000km, and paid 12990 for it with one months warranty. the name of the dealer was Allan Mackay Autos in moss vale. I had to argue for the 1month/500km warranty. (i do 500 km in a week ) Within 2 days of having the car, the pressure plate failed on the clutch. I managed to limp the car back to the dealer to have it fixed. i was told 2 weeks. Its lucky i still had my beasty Lada Samara to get me around. When I got the car back, the aircond pipes had been broken and no longer worked cause all the gas got out. I asked them to fix it,but they wouldn't. Then the oil cooler mounted on the gearbox, the mount broke. The reason the mount broke was they had mounted it with 1/4 inch plate steel, cause the orignal mount had snapped prevously. They didn't replace the orignal mount, they drilled another hole in the steel, and screwed it back into the gearbox, using about 50 washers to space out the long bolt. When the mount broke, it snapped the hoses on the top radiator pipe. This top hose is valued at a cool 133.50+gst because of the added pipes for the oil cooler. They didn't replace this, yet stuffed copper pipe in there, and joined up the snapped bits. a good fix in the bush, but not for a permanent fixture. (this hose is now a standard hose, ie no cooling pipes.)

Basically what i am saying is i got ripped off by them for 12990. If you can pick up one for 4k in the land of the long white cloud, i'll be over there, buy one , and do up mine, (or if its better, put the good bits on that one

Here in Oz, you pick them up for about 8k for an 89 model, up to 17 for a 94 model with aircon, leather seats, sun roof etc. etc.

Byron

Louis: sorry, didn't see your post there, you've got to stop following me round the boards

You should be able to get an xs/gt for around 2 grand, especially in Auckland. I've seen 1.6 GTi's for not a whole lot more than that, it might take a while to find one, thats all.

-Eddie

1000+ Posts
    Cripes that's cheap !

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information