Gear Knob Removal 2003 206cc
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon7 Gear Knob Removal 2003 206cc

Please can anyone advise me of the correct way to remove the factory fitted alloy gear knob on my 206cc (2003 MY) which is badly scratched.
    I recieved a shiny new gear knob for Christmas and am anxious to fit this new one.
    Any advice would be much appreciated

Advertisement

Apparently if you place the car gently on its roof, on an old blanket or something, then apply about 6 drops of acetone (nail polish remover)not too much, to glue where gearknob meets gearstick, wait a while, say 1 stubby, the turn hard anti-clockwise knob will come off easily. To refit, put car back on wheels, gently, add small amount of contact cement to threads of gearknob, screw on clockwise until firm, allow to set, say 5 stubbies, now have to go to bed 'cos over limit, knob will ready for use in morning. Good luck.

ed ge

Icon9 R U Built like arnie???

I changed mine... once... thats enough for me...

You have to take off the square surround off from the bottom of the gear stick.Will come off easy.

Then you have to pull back the cover and cut off the hoseclip that holds it tight.

Then get Arnie to come in and yank like fu..en hell.

While yankin I found it advantageous to swear and whinge as much as possible.

Also I wiggled it from side to side (the gear knob that is... )

Good Luck...

Try not to get R.S.I.

I don't want to sound flippant, but if it's comiing off and not going to be reused, why not just saw the bloody thing off? Mini hacksaw, run it straight down the guts of the old knob and see if it'll split & fall off.
    I tend to go this way after I once saw a guy lock his keys in his car who did a few hundred $$s worth of damage trying to work the quarter glass open. A rough 'old school' towie was eventually called who just walked up to the car with a ball pein hammer in his hand and went whack!! smashed the quarter glass that was worth about $10 new and took 5 minutes to fit.
    Sometimes you need to be more practical than precise.
    Just a thought, but if there's anything against this approach, someone please say.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Default Gear Knob removal..

Quote Originally Posted by DAVIDWILKES
    Please can anyone advise me of the correct way to remove the factory fitted alloy gear knob on my 206cc (2003 MY) which is badly scratched.
    I recieved a shiny new gear knob for Christmas and am anxious to fit this new one.
    Any advice would be much appreciated
    David, I must apologise for my faceteous and flippant Countrymen.

If no obvious securing devices are visible on the knob ie tiny grub screws or threads on the gear stick then might I suggest the method I used on Volvo gear knobs. Using a 10'' or 12'' adjustable spanner open the jaws so they fit loosely around the gear stick. Hold the jaws hard up against the lower part of the knob then strike the jaws from underneath with a rubber or "dead blow" hammer. If you have any good catchers left in England have them stand by to grab the knob!
    This is purely a suggestion, no liability will be accepted for instance if the knob goes through your sunroof!

Wildebeest. Ex. Lex Brooklands. Wembley. UK. '82-'83.

Hmmm I could've sworn I made a post in this thread yesterday....anyway

I've always thought the gear knob just screws off by turning anti-clockwise. I've never tried it in my pug, but my previous corolla (and with every other, admittedly jap, car) it just screwed right off. I still remember turning the gear knob 180 degrees on my mate's proton when he wasn't looking. He was driving around for a few mins saying out aloud 'Something doesn't feel quite right, can't figure it out'..while I tried not to crack up laughing!
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Thread Information