bazz's xmas prang quote comment
  • Register
  • Help

Default bazz's xmas prang quote comment

all right as we all know i was assalted from behind at 25 km/h by a 74 year old grandma with the grandkids in the car.she just clipped the side of the bumper but ripped it and the valance with it off the car.
    i was checking out the quote i received and was astounded at some of the things they claim they have to do.i dont really care as im not paying for it but if i was, id be having a few words.

Advertisement

paint rear panel[it has red reflector panel and therefo dosnt need painting.i checked to see if this was the one they mean and its refered to in another section as the same thing],its the only rear panel apart from valance which is listed seperatly]@ $49.90 --1.50 time units
    take out rear lights and replace[no need they are not in the way in the least to fit rear bumper].-$23.90--1.40 time units
    modify rear valance for custom valance -$23.90 ---3.00 time units.
    i dont know how they work out the time units but it seems to take along time to cut out a section for the custom exhaust tips,it took the midas guy 30 minutes.
    they have also listed to replace trims and paint them that were not even affected in the prang!!
    my freind the panel beater found a few of these anomolies and i found the rest,but he also said that the people im getting the work done by have a good rep but also have a rep for being expensive but thorough-lets hope sooooooo.!!,thorough i mean not expensive,,,ohhhh forget it????!!!!????-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    paint rear panel[it has red reflector panel and therefo dosnt need painting.
    Maybe they need to paint it to prevent it rusting away underneath?

Take out rear lights and replace[no need they are not in the way in the least to fit rear bumper].-$23.90--1.40 time units
    they have also listed to replace trims and paint them that were not even affected in the prang!!
    Some of the better panel beaters (not working to a budget) replace trims adjacent to the damaged parts. This prevents the freshly sprayed bumper bar from standing out like dogs balls to the adjacent faded tail lights and weather beaten trim.Yes the tail lights may not have looked too bad but they will all now age at the same time. I think they are just being thorough and giving you the best job possible.
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's.

'19 308 GTi
    '15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XM Mechanic
    Maybe they need to paint it to prevent it rusting away underneath?

Some of the better panel beaters (not working to a budget) replace trims adjacent to the damaged parts. This prevents the freshly sprayed bumper bar from standing out like dogs balls to the adjacent faded tail lights and weather beaten trim.Yes the tail lights may not have looked too bad but they will all now age at the same time. I think they are just being thorough and giving you the best job possible.

they call it blending

it's not just for faded paint already on the car it is for any car so that the new paint blends with the rest of the car

for example, if you have a dent fixed in a front guard they will paint the front door and sometimes the rear door or guard on that side of the car and the bonnet to blend the colour throughout the area

the best paint jobs i have ever seen on cars was from a bloke i knew down on the highlands that was actually colour blind and yet everything came out of his shop spot on

i have quite a few panel beater/spray paint friends so i have picked up on a few of the things they do over the years
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information