405SRI Roof Trim
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 405SRI Roof Trim

The cloth roof trim has started to come away from the polystyerene roof lining on my 405. The problem started just above the rear window but now it has come away in several places and just sags. The car is not garaged so I thought the recent hot spell might have dried out the adhesive (probably not). I recently bought the car and it is only in the past few weeks it has started to come away. To get it looking right will I have to remove the cloth entirely and then stick it back. Any ideas on causes and solution. I'd imagine it would be tricky to get it restuck neatly without creases etc what kind of adhesive should I use, or would I be better just taking it to a motor trimmers. The car is in beautiful condition inside and out apart from those unsightly sags in the roof material.
    Cheers,
    Reilly

Advertisement

Had exactly the same issue in our MI16. Eventually the entire headlining sagged down and virtually rested on the occupants' heads. If the amount of detachment is extensive, you have to pull the headlining out to re-glue it neatly. Then there is the selection of the glue and avoiding creases when you put it all together, making sure the glue doesn't soak through the headlining etc etc.

Solution - my local contact tracked down a second hand roof lining in good nick from a wreckers. From memory it was around $150.00

Have fun fitting it though. I ended up getting professional help & the total bill was about $300.00-350.00

Maurice

Tadpole

Default 405SRI Roof Trim

Thanks Maurice for your reply. Any idea what caused it to come away in the first place ?
    Do you remember what glue you used to stick it back on ?
    Cheers,
    reilly

Sorry, I thought my reply made it clear that what I ended up having to do was source a complete new roof lining - ie stuck onto the solid backing and all.

I had tried to make spot fixes with photocontact spray adhesive (I think it is a 3M product) and I also tried ordinary contact glue.

However it was a losing battle and over the course of about 6 months it went from just affecting a few inches at the very back of the car over the back seats to affecting probably 40-50% of the headlining.

Therefore, my local repairer sourced a complete headlining - ie complete with the polystyrene (or whatever it is) backing and fitted it.

Maurice

Tadpole

Default 405 headlining hat

i'm enjoying my new 405 headling hat
    how did you go fixing yours?

thanks

Common problem it would seem with older cars. Mine started at the back and worked its way to the front. cut two holes in it and sprayed glue inside, then put two sheets of fake aluminium diamond plate (Plastic) then screwed it to the roof covering the holes.
    Looks a whole lot better than the sagging roof lining and it was the only thing I could think of and lot cheaper than a completely new roof lining.

Fellow Frogger!

Default .

how did you screw it into the roof? how thick is the metal up therE?
    1984 505 STI

Fellow Frogger!

We had an upholsterer do Mums Volvo and it was around $140 from memory. He took it out recovered it and replaced. Be worthwhile getting a few quotes before trying yourself.

Graelin

Quote Originally Posted by lunchcutter
    how did you screw it into the roof? how thick is the metal up therE?
    10mm screws grab into the roof lining backing without touching the metal or fouling the sunroof retraction, like I said its the only thing I could come up with without spending a whole bunch of cash on getting it re upholstered and it dont look half bad (better than the saggy grey mess it was before)

Thread Information