505 fan not engaging?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 505 fan not engaging?

My 505's temperature has been higher than usual lately. Even when the guage is in the high-end of the scale the fan still does not engage. I can see small sparks between the fan brush (?) and the fan hub (?), but no fan.

Advertisement

Thanks in advance for any advice...zac

Default 505 Fan Problems

Quote Originally Posted by zac505
    My 505's temperature has been higher than usual lately. Even when the guage is in the high-end of the scale the fan still does not engage. I can see small sparks between the fan brush (?) and the fan hub (?), but no fan.

Thanks in advance for any advice...zac

Have a look at a post about 504 fan problems last week in in Peugeot Forum -same as 505.

If the fan clutch brush is sparking I would try this:

Make sure the iginition is on but engine not running (pull out the coil to distributor high tension lead for safety)

1)Short the wires on the thermostatic fan switch (don't let them touch the body)

2) If the fan is t clutch doesn't lock up -reach under the water pump and press the carbon brush gently to make it contact the pulley more firmley -ie increase the pressure of the brush to pulley

If it locks up the fan OK - then check the brush length or bend the spring a bit to increase tension

If that doesn't work I would suspect a partially shorted winding on the fan pulley - the Haynes manual should give the resistance -use a ohm meter to check. It may also tell you the brush length

Here is the thread... 504 water pump

Good luck
    Last edited by robmac; 28th December 2004 at 09:31 PM. Reason: added link to thread...

Default 505 fan not engaging

Zac,
    Try this cheap fix. Remove the carbon brush from the water pump and carefully stretch the small coil spring. Refit. Clean the brass contact ring on the pulley.
    Don't hesitate in buying a new carbon brush.

Thread Information