weather proof/dustproof car cover.
  • Register
  • Help

Default weather proof/dustproof car cover.

santa gave me a autobarn voucher for chrissie and i thought i may put some cash with it and buy a weather proof car cover for my beloved pug 205.
    what are the general opinion on these things,are they worth it,are they weather proof really.
    as i dont have a garage or carport this is the cheapest option of keeping the weather off.
    id like to hear from people who have had one and their opinions of its value for money.-BAZZ

Advertisement

They scratch the shit out of cars if outside. Dust gets under the cover, then it flaps around and scratching occurs. Buy lots of polish instead.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    They scratch the shit out of cars if outside. Dust gets under the cover, then it flaps around and scratching occurs. Buy lots of polish instead.
    What he said! The car has to be perfectly clean and dry before putting one on, even the expensive ones with soft insides will move the dust about and leave nasty scratches, how about a big sticker on the rear window saying "back off granny"
    05' Megane 225 Cup

i got a Du Pont cover from autobarn. is a god cover. i dont use it much anymore...but t worked a treat for me

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

the best car covers are an big old sheet and a blanket covering the car then a good tarp

my family have been using this setup for years and not only do they kee pthe dust out but they also keep the sun and rain out as well

no matter what car covers we have used over the years none have been as good as the setup mentioned above and they don't scratch the car

spend the voucher on something else
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Any of the covers that you'd get at Autobarn would be rubbish. I used a Kenco one and once t got a bit of dust (mainly dirt) under it, you can say good bye to your clean finish. Spend the vouchers on polishes and waxes instead. Meguiar's NXT has just come out in Australia and is very very good.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    the best car covers are an big old sheet and a blanket covering the car then a good tarp

my family have been using this setup for years and not only do they kee pthe dust out but they also keep the sun and rain out as well

no matter what car covers we have used over the years none have been as good as the setup mentioned above and they don't scratch the car

spend the voucher on something else
    sounds like a goods idea,but a good tarp the size to cover the whole of the car would be expensive wouldnt it?.where do you buy new tarps from?-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    sounds like a goods idea,but a good tarp the size to cover the whole of the car would be expensive wouldnt it?.where do you buy new tarps from?-BAZZ

just a good blue coloured type tarp is what you need

no need to go the full canvas type

i have known people to use like a tent type fly over the car as well to keep water off the car

i have never seen a car cover work anywhere near as good as a blanket and sheet and a tarp over a car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

just a good blue coloured type tarp is what you need

no need to go the full canvas type

i have known people to use like a tent type fly over the car as well to keep water off the car
    i have never seen a car cover work anywhere near as good as a blanket and sheet and a tarp over a car
    my brother mentioned the fact that i should put money into some type of tent fly as you suggest .the reason being is that if the car is wet ,you cant put a cover on.
    my problem is i rent my house and dont want to spend money on their property as they get enough rent out of me as it is.
    that said,i still want to cover the car from the weather.
    i may look into a fly over type of thing and see what i can rig up.
    i imagine i would have to set poles into holes with cement as there is no real rigging points bar one on the corner of the house.to rig the fly sheats.
    i like the cover idea but what about you get home and its pissin rain?
    the blue coloured tarp you mention,is that the woven nylon type you see in camping and auto stores?-=BAZZ

grab some 8' star posts and belt them into the ground

hook your fly onto that and your done

the blue tarps are teh ones you get from camping stores and the like and they work well

i think they even come in other colours now for the i don't like the standard colour people

if it's raining when you get home then you don't need a cover anyway butwait till the car is dry then cover it but i have seen the fly type system used not only outdoors but in garages as well to keep dust settling on the car

at the moment both the cars here are dirty due to drought and plenty of dust and dirt floating around and the hoppers eating everything so there is more dirt

but grab some star posts and wack them in, saves digging holes and pouring concrete
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

grab some 8' star posts and belt them into the ground

hook your fly onto that and your done

the blue tarps are teh ones you get from camping stores and the like and they work well

i think they even come in other colours now for the i don't like the standard colour people

if it's raining when you get home then you don't need a cover anyway butwait till the car is dry then cover it but i have seen the fly type system used not only outdoors but in garages as well to keep dust settling on the car

at the moment both the cars here are dirty due to drought and plenty of dust and dirt floating around and the hoppers eating everything so there is more dirt

but grab some star posts and wack them in, saves digging holes and pouring concrete
    thanks mate that sounds like a good idea as i can take it with me when i go.ill defintly think about this one.by star posts ,do you mean the ones used for fencing that are three flat bits joined in the middle[if you follow my drift].that you string fencing wire through?-BAZZ

Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    thanks mate that sounds like a good idea as i can take it with me when i go.ill defintly think about this one.by star posts ,do you mean the ones used for fencing that are three flat bits joined in the middle[if you follow my drift].that you string fencing wire through?-BAZZ

yeah the black ones you can buy that are tri shaped

best invention ever i reckon
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Default Weather proof/dustproof car cover.

For once I agree with previous callers. Car covers can be detrimental to car finishes if they are put on a wet or dusty car. Is there any other?
    I saw a portable car port in SuperCheap while stepping over buckets, floor mats and assorted "bling". [Bring back Marlows]. I think it was just under $100. It looked like something that could be erected without blowing away.

i dont know about those protable carports.they look ok but i dont reckon they would weather the types of wind and storms weve had of late.i nearly bought one but noticed the only way of roping them down is via a little sown on tab near the top of thew pole.
    i have put up a few tents over the years being an ex scout and with family camping and i reckon one good gust of wing the tabs would tear off in an instant.
    you could get one and modify it but you would need an inustrial strength sewing machine/overlocker to do it properly and who has one of them hanging round,plus a good eyelet and hole punch.
    i reckon you would be better going to evan and evan tent makers and getting a real one built as a custom jod but what is that gonna cost?.
    i think ill give the star bar and tarp set up a go.
    if you use proer spring rope tensioners and carabeenas it would be preety strong.-BAZZ

yeah, i was considering rigging up some sort of weather shield from my car over the last few days. im starting to really dislike how i come out to the car to find my nice clean car has been shat on by numerous birds, and tree neighbours tree has dumped a ton of leaves on my car!

the star-pole things with a tarp over it looks like a goer at the moment...

bazgti - id imagine a custom tent would be pretty pricey tho. definately more expensive than a tarp and some poles.
    2013 Megane RS 265 Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu
    yeah, i was considering rigging up some sort of weather shield from my car over the last few days. im starting to really dislike how i come out to the car to find my nice clean car has been shat on by numerous birds, and tree neighbours tree has dumped a ton of leaves on my car!

the star-pole things with a tarp over it looks like a goer at the moment...

bazgti - id imagine a custom tent would be pretty pricey tho. definately more expensive than a tarp and some poles.
    i did some ringing round today and found out the 2.4 mtr star pickets are about $10-$11 each.
    so thats about 45 bucks for poles and about another 60 or so for tarp.carabeenas and spring hook tensioner and rope.or you could use bungy cord .
    so thats about $100 for a portable take with you carport.cover type thingy.
    im going to have a go at one this week .ill post piccys and construction report tips.-BAZZ

Thread Information