Freighting Pug Hatch from Perth to Sydney??
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Freighting Pug Hatch from Perth to Sydney??

Does anyone have any idea on how to organise the above, and an approximate cost?

Advertisement

Thanks.

Default Hatch Transport

Smokey, is it driveable? If it isn't, put it in a container.

If you put it on a train it is likely to arrive with a few more problems than it started with. Not a good idea.

Best would be direct to Sydney, non stop, don't want it off/on loaded by the trucking guys if you can help it, although they'd be kinder than the rail lads.

You will have to ring around the trucking companies looking for a backload or partial container.

good luck.

Price, expect wild fluctuation, say $300 - $3,000.

Cheers ed ge

Hi Smokey,

My Employer shipped my car (not a Pug in those days) from Perth to Melbourne a few years back, can't remember which company they used but I guess they're all in the yellow pages.
    One thing to watch out for is that it doesn't get scratched etc en route. They should look it over and complete a checklist of any marks, scratches, dents, cracks in windscreen etc, so make sure this is done to avoid any arguments after you get it back! Paltallo

Smokey,

Clarify one thing; is it a Pug hatch (as in the back door/bootlid) or a Pug hatch as in a complete 205?
    If I'm reading you right, it's just the panel & not the complete car.
    If that is the case, get it packed in a box or alternatively get the seller to get some rough undressed pine about 100mm X 15mm and build like a pallet around the item after it's been packed in cardboard or bubblewrap and protected on the corners with polystyrene.
    Once it's all packed in safe & sound, let your fingers do the walking and find a removalist that does trips to WA and give them a call & ask about back loading rates.
    I once had 7cwt of parts inntwo boxes freighted from Brisbane wharves 400klms north for $50 using that system. I also had a 7 piece Italian dining suite witha full marble table about 7 foot long brought up for $100.
    Most carriers advertise various destinations and an old trick is to find any carrier that shift service personnell and if there's an Air Forcr base nearby, try the carrier they mostly use as they have regular postings of less than 2 years at a stretch.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by edgedweller
    Smokey, is it driveable? If it isn't, put it in a container.

If you put it on a train it is likely to arrive with a few more problems than it started with. Not a good idea.

Best would be direct to Sydney, non stop, don't want it off/on loaded by the trucking guys if you can help it, although they'd be kinder than the rail lads.

You will have to ring around the trucking companies looking for a backload or partial container.

good luck.

Price, expect wild fluctuation, say $300 - $3,000.

Cheers ed ge
    last time i put my 504 on the train from sydney to melbourne i drove it on and off myself.
    they would let you do it then but im not sure now.also a very ,very good idea is to put a weather proof car cover on it.they sell for about $130 odd and will ensure your car dose not end up looking like it just finished the paris-dakar.
    al that said i stuck around when they chained down the car and i recomend you doing the same as they will be rough with it if you aint there.but apart from that it was cheap$110 and was better than driving it to melbourne with the bung wheel bearing it had.-BAZZ

Fellow Frogger!

sory guys, its a whole GTi 180.

bazgti, how much did that cost?

is there anyway I can get this thing moved for $1000?

Driving is not an option as Im already driving my other car.

Tadpole

Icon7 Backloads are better

I chased up moving a vehicle from Sydney to Perth a couple of years ago and concluded that rail was too expensive and a pita. Also I think lots of opportunities to get a backload on a car transporter Semi from Perth to E coast. Should be less than the $1,000 Sydney-Perth I was quoted 2 years ago.

Fellow Frogger!

unfortunately i dont have much choice, I have to freight it, but in saying that, will be very snnoyed if I cant do it for around $1000.

really suprised at the lack of info on the net about how to do this, would have thought it was a fairly normal thing to do.

Last time I wanted to ship a car any distance, I asked the people at the Auctions; they gave me a few names & numbers & problem solved in 5 minutes.
    Suggestion: e-mail one of the Auctions saying you're looking at a car they have coming up soon and what's the best way of shipping home.

See what happens.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    unfortunately i dont have much choice, I have to freight it, but in saying that, will be very snnoyed if I cant do it for around $1000.

really suprised at the lack of info on the net about how to do this, would have thought it was a fairly normal thing to do.
    Ring around,
    I looked at shipping a car from Perth to Melb and the price was $500.00.
    That was me dropping off the car to their depot and picking up in Melb.
    I think the company was an offshoot of Toll Express. Thats who I rang and they referred me. There was a before and after inspection to cover any damage. If I were you I would go with a company that specializes in cars and will cover any damage if caused.

Jarrod

Haven't used them myself, but I've seen a bit of the way their systems work, and if you don't have any political sensitivities, you could do worse than to get a quote from Patrick Autocare (formerly TDG).
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

XTC

TNT covered (no open trailer) can be got for as little as $250 To Adelaide and $400 to SYD (according to two friends who just did it) doesn't sound enough, but check it out. It'd be nice if I'm not wrong.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Default Across the Nullabor

We shipped our 300D Merc over the Nullabor twice in 2000. Autotrans organised by Australian Vanlines to Tassie, and Patricks back to Perth. Both crossings included that expensive stretch of water called Bass Strait (of course) so we paid $1000 to Tassie and $1300 back. Car arrived in perfect condition both times. Should be cheaper with no sea crossing.
    82 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel
    84 Nissan Patrol MQ diesel

Thread Information