Defected 504
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Defected 504

Default Defected 504

On Christmas eve i got a "canary" on my 504 at an RBT.

The annoying thing was that I had spent 10 hours that day working on the car preparing it for the trip to Melbourne for the short holidays that I'm getting this year.

The car has the original number plates on it from when it was first sold in Adelaide in 1970. This is what caught their eye. Apparently they are no longer legal, as they are not the new "reflective" style. They are still perfectly readable, however.

The constabulary then decided to go over the car with a fine tooth comb, to see what else they could pick me up for. In 1/2 and hour scouring the car, they only found one slight oil leak, and that was all.

So, due to having old plates on my car and a damp patch (which was slow enough for dust to have stopped the flow) on my rocker cover, my car is now off the road pending a full inspection at Regency Park. To make that more fun, the Regency Park inspection station is closed until Wednesday, and is booked solid for a month and a half anyway!

So what have they achieved from all this?

Well, instead of taking to Melbourne a car that admittadly looks fairly average, but has excellent brakes, new suspension bushes, springs and shockers, $250 a corner tyres that are still brand new, is very comfortable, uses no oil and runs on dirt cheap LPG, I am now taking a quickly thrown together 505 (from parts down at the shed, registered online and insured over the phone in a real hurry!), that has worn tyres, pulls heavily to the left when you brake, has lots of clunks in the front end, uses massive amounts of LRP, blows smoke and uses oil, and is nowhere near as comfortable as my 504. It does, however, have shiny number plates.

Also, I have to find several hundred dollars for the inspection fee and then whatever else they find that I need to rectify. That's easy at this time of year. NOT!

Can anyone else see how the roads are now safer?

Ok, I've had my whinge now.

Advertisement
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Go see the local paper, if the car's as you reckon, get them to take some pics, get a story and either run it, or contact the local whallopers for a comment.
    If there's one thing these "Samaritans of the Highways" really hate getting is someone showing them upp for what too many of them are; a bunch of soft targetting nit pickers.
    While all this was going on, I've no doubts a couple of dozen half pist wank tankers drove past doing the limit + 20KPH but by their mentality, they were a safer bet than your non reflective number plates; yaeh, great logic.
    Unfortunately as I have pointed out to Queensland Transport on more than one occasion, yu can't legislate on common sense.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

that has got to really mmmmmmmmmm. I will assume it is not the defect notice that got under your skin but the fact that thies fools ruined your plans for the holiday break. god luck tho and have a merry new year if you can

I'm not clear on this... are you allowed to have the plates or not?

I'd certainly be getting rid of the as soon as I could get the original number on a new plate, but this is definitely an issue I'd take up.

Not only the local paper, take it to Police Headquarters and ask to see the Superintendant of Traffic!

Tell him your story, let him offer you a fair inspection and an opportunity to show that the leak is minimal. See how that goes down.

Default Defected 504

Demannu,
    Sorry to hear your Crimbo plans were dashed.
    You say that,"apparently" the number plates were out of date. Has this been made apparent to you at some time during your ownership when the yearly rego reminders come around ?
    Or is this one of those things the "constabules" keep up their sleeves when they can't even find a half empty screen washer bottle to justify a canary?

Icon7

I think the old black & white plates are still legal in Vic. There aren't that many of them around these days. They have to be readable. There is a push to get the older green & whites upgraded to the later ultra reflective types though. These show up a lot better and more consistently on the revenue & red light cameras. The thing is the cost of replacement is about $25 which we have to pay.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Demannu, sorry about the notice, not good. Just 20mins ago i drove through an RBT. I have no fear of the RBT, but on the time when they do a spot check. Like yours my car doesn't look the best but mechanically they would have to try pretty hard to defect it.

As for the plates, Both my parents and I have been told by police when they pulled up at lights to get new plates, more of a gentle reminder. My plates were the new type of reflective ones but part of the white reflective was missing, no more than a 50c piece.

They told me to go and get some new ones asap. $17 later and a trip to the transport office I had new plates.

I think that new plates on a car also tells the police that you care about the car or maybe that it has been inspected at least in the last 30 years.

Maybe a timely reminder to others? I had no attachement to my old plates, so new numbers and letters were not a problem. How much do new plates cost in other states?

Compared to what has happened to you I got off lightly.

all the best for the slip inspection.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

This plate thing is another rip off, $20 last I purchased in Adelaide, what cost to make them, no choice size or style and the contractor, fully arms length from Government, scrimps on paint so after a few years or less if you take your car through car wash paint fades, be sure to buy another one, two to be sure we get a good image when you drive through our life saving speed camera, revenue opportunity, station.

Thanks for your concern govmint.

Besides they have difficulty pulling you up for no numberplate light during the day. Just for a bit of a look see.

Grumble hummpphh

ed ge

Fellow Frogger!

Its interesting that they actually do checks on your cars in Australia at breath testing stops.

In New Zealand if your car goes through one as long as the Warrant of Fitness and Registration are upto date they won't look twice at your actual car. Admittedly if you had an obviously dodgy car they might but if the WoF is there you'd be fine.

And to be honest at a lot of breath testing stops the only thing they are concerned about is your alcohol reading, without even checking the Wof/Registration let alone licence.

I'm also stunned they can use a minor oil leak as part of the reason to order your car off the road. I can only imagine all the cars older than a few years would be off the road if this was the case in New Zealand.

Default Defected 504

Here in WA we do not have a 12 monthly vehicle check. We do have RBT's however that serve a dual purpose of a vehicle check.
    Sometime in the past, 12 monthly checks were mooted but the traffic dept. must have had men of reason in their midst. If I remember, their conclusions were that the accident per centage caused by unroadworthy vehicles was not worth setting up a whole new beaurocracy. The random checks and inspections for out of licence vehicles were considered sufficient.
    There are those over here who lobby the Govt. for vehicle checks etc but they are, in the main those in the motor trade, sales etc. The thought of all those "old" 8-10 year old cars being put off the road gets them excited.

I had a heated argument with our then service manager about vehicle inspections, I was against them, he was all for. His reason,"think of all the work we could rake in!"

With my pastime of making Politicians look at themselves, I used to have the statistics of the number of accidents (not necessarily fatal ones) that were directly "caused in part" by vehicle defects. It was something in the order of 3.6%
    For some strange reason, the Transport Minister of the day consistently declined my offer to supply the figures to justify employing 400 vehicle inspectors and to disclose the amount of the donations made by vehicle manufacturers in particluar Honda and Mazda.
    Mazda also didn't respond to my letter asking why they were proving that they were obviously building obselesence into their cars and then asking regulators to put them off the road with the campaign they were in part financing to rid the roads of cars over 5 years of age and that as I then owned a Mazda I would be selling it and never buying another if this was the small amount of condidence they had in their vehicles lasting beyond 5 years. I kind of renegged on that threat and bought a rebadged Mazda as a Ford and then I realised why I should have stuck to my principles; by & large they don't last beyond 5 years.
    So what I'm saying is that this is a typical instance of dodgy politicians in dodgy political parties taking dodgy donations from dodgy characters in dodgy car companies for dodgy reasons and you old son are one of the innocent victims.
    Now you know why I'm always sending these types off on "stress leave." They really don't like being told this.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information