505 Aircond
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 505 Aircond

505 Aircond

It's now getting hot, so I got the A/C fixed on the 505 (series one) a few weeks back. The car is nice and cool now, but I've noticed that the air vents on the floor don't seem to be working. I've looked through the manual for the car which is useless as it doesn't even mention having aircond as an option. Failing that, I browsed though my little "pull it to pieces book" on peugeots which says precious little either. Has anyone else had this problem? I had a look this arvo, thinking that it might be the mixer switch (I'm assuming that's what it is), but there didn't seem to be anything obvously wrong... Any suggestions on where to look, or should I leave this one to the professionals?

Advertisement

No ideas on the floor vents, mine is series II, all controlled with vacuum pipes. I've been meaning to look at my A/C with the summer approaching too. From the pictures I've seen an a series I factory manual, the actual refrig hardware looks the same between series I & II, so I'm interested as to what was done to your one. Was it simply 'regassed' ? If so, what gas did they use - here in NZ (in theory) there is no more of the old R12?
    Thanks,
    Jason.

There was a leak in the dryer, so I had to get it replaced and then regassed. They had some of the old nasty stuff still around, so gassed it with that, as it would have been a small fortune to have it changed over to accept the new ozone friendly gas. I imagine if you look around, you'll find someone with some of the old stuff to use on your car.

If not, use LPG, it's better than the R134 garbage.

1000+ Posts
    ...just don't smoke in hot weather !

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

ON NO ACCOUNT EVER USE LPG in your air conditioning system (or any other flammable gas for that matter). You may get away with it, but you risk ending your life in a small mushroom cloud!

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Fellow Frogger!
    hi liam,the main vents for a/c is the facia ones on the dash.if you get any air out of the floor ones its just good luck more than design,so put you chocolates in the vents not on the floor.in aust r12 is not used any more its illegal,er12 can be used but its a class 2 combustible gas,can go bang but they say that pretty rare,still i dont want to be the first to end up a crispy.there is lots of dabate about er12 depends who you talk to and what interest the have in the industry.se ya, stuart.

Fellow Frogger!
    hi dave piped me by one minute.did you see the current affairs program showing the cars blowing up with dummys inside with the lpg based gas used,pretty scary.makes good ratings too.

Frankly, that was a load of garbage... there is less than a cupful of liquid used and the prospect of it leaking somewhere in sufficient quantities is very remote. On top of that, if it does leak in larger quantities it will not ignite!

There was a product called HC12a being imported from America which was banned that was essentially an LPG mixed with a flame retardent. Worked better than R134, was available in a small aerosol for home installation and was inexpensive.

Had to be banned, didn't it?

A cigarette lighter full of butane is equivalent to a few sticks of TNT (there are a few armless or dead people due to using a cigarette lighter to light an oxy torch).

With this fact in mind, I shudder to think what half a cupful of LPG could do.

The "Daisy Cutter" fuel air explosives which they are are now using in Afghanistan work on a similar principle to the BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion) that occurs with LPG (although fuel air explosives are more contollable than LPG). These type of exposions are equivalent to small battlefield nuclear weapons (part of the reason that Nukes are being phased out).

I have seen a fire fighting training video on the power of an LPG BLEVE. A railway carriage with a large LPG tank on it caught on fire in a small mid western US town about 30 years ago. When the BLEVE occured the blast destroyed a large part of the town, including the camera man that was filming the fire fighters. It was very reminiscent of the films taken by people at the Mount St Helens blast.

LPG is a good fuel when the appropriate precautions are taken, but it should never be used for anything other than fuel.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Fellow Frogger!
    dont ya just love a good topic to start everyone having a go.it may be corporate money reasons but how come nearly all the worlds car makers use r134a only in new cars made since mid 90.vasa in australia do not acknowledge any other gas type.stuart.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    while on the subject just a word of warning for you smokers out there
    don't leave lighters in the car during a hot day as they tend to blow up
    i accidently left one on the car a couple of weeks ago on a nice warm sunny day and the lighter was sitting under the handbrake lever.i heard a bang outside and it didn't occur to me that it was the lighter and i coulnd't see anything out of the norm anywhere, the next day as we hopped into the car my g/f found little shards of plastic everywhere and then it clicked as to what it was. luckily there wasn't any damage but i would hate to think of what might have been
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I never thought my car's air vents could be so controversial! Thanks for the info stuart - mental note: leave chocolates in vents, not floor

Fellow Frogger!
    hi liam,seems i have been corrected by my other half.see who must be obeyed.seems that cold air does come out of our lower vents but as i said not a large amount,if you get stuck i may be able to send you a copy of my factory manual with some vent diagrams.your right who would have guessed a vent question would lead to such a change in attack. stuart.

Don't know about the series 1 vents, but one of the most useful bits of basic maintenance I ever did on my recently murdered 505 sli (just been replaced - see new post above) was to clean out the air chamber on the "down wind" side of the fan.

If you remove the fan and the ducting you can reach into the chamber where the air hits the heater core. etc. An amazing amount of gunk accumulates in this chamber, especially if the car isn't always garaged.

After cleaning it out I reckon I had around a ten fold improvement in the amount of air coming through the vents.

While you are doing it, clean and put a bit of oil on the fan spindle etc too - otherwise they end up chaterring like a bunch of demented budgies.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thread Information