505 GTI ZDJL Distributor
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

505 GTI ZDJL Distributor

I have noted the inclusion of a vaccuum delay capsule to the vaccuum control on the distributor of this engine.

I do understand the principle of operation of these capsules, and the need to them fitted the correct way around - that is DIST side to the distributor, and VAC or CARB side to the throttle body.

On this engine, no vacuum can flow to the distributor with the capsule correctly fitted.

Advertisement

Faulty capsule, or another design feature of which I am unaware?

PS the vehicle is an automatic.

Cheers,
    Kim

I don't think US spec ZDJLs have the check valve you speak of. Since our ZDJL is similar to yours, is it possible that someone installed this on your car by mistake? What does the vacuum routing diagram say?

The US spec ZDJL distributor uses "ported vacuum"--the vacuum is connected at a point just before the throttle plate. When the throttle plate begins to open, a low pressure area is created and vacuum begins to act on the diaphragm in the distributor. Thus, you cannot really measure any vacuum at idle, the throttle must be operated in order to get a reading.

-Joe G.

Fellow Frogger!
    Thanks Jo,
    The Bosch supplement for the L Jetronic injection shows a direct vacuum line between the throttle body and the ditributor capsule.

However, the supplement is not all inclusive, in that different versions of this engine had modifications necessary to ensure compliance with emmission control requirements.

Incidentally, another colleague with the 505 GT1 series one (manual, but same engine) also has this capsule fitted into the vacuum line.

More research, I think. However, I cannot explain why it is fitted, if it does not allow a vacuum from the throttle body to be applied to the distributor advance plate.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Fellow Frogger!
    hi kim.the capsule should allow vacuum through to the disi,or there would be no use having it in the line.they did come standard it was a pollution idea.most of the ones i see are all faulty.i fit a line straight through works just fine.test your adavance capsule,they can fail also.it make a big difference to the smoothness on acceleration.cheers stuart.

Fellow Frogger!
    Thanks Charles,
    I will recheck the distributor capsule, and if OK, perhaps run a direct vacuum line, eliminating the capsule.

On reflection, this engine did have a case of hesitant initial acceleration, so it could be that this was a contributor. The car has only done 139,000 km, so I am keen to have it performing well.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Thread Information