bazz's xmas prang ooouuuccchhhh.
  • Register
  • Help

Default bazz's xmas prang ooouuuccchhhh.

well sometimes the xmas holidays start with a wimper,not mine it started with a bang from behind doin 25km.i had a 74 year old grandmother with the grandkids in the car hit the accelorator instead of the brake going thru a stop sign.i was nearly around the corner when she came thru the stop sign and hit the corner of my bumper,ripping off the whole bumper/valance out from the car and one of the rear side plastic trims also.
    she admited liability straight away so i got her to sign a statement of that fact as there wrer no witnesses.
    the problem is that all the panel shops are closing for xmas break today so it wont be fixed till mid january.its drivable[no other damage]but its a shame really as i had the car running nearly perfect with the new konis and the like.[just my luck]
    i am booked into surrey panel care as i have heard they have a very good rep.they are also racv approved which is insurance company the driver is insured with.
    i would usually use my mates if it was my fault as they will do a very good cheap job but they are all on holidays and dont have a courtesy vehicle.
    has anybody here had any work done by surrey panel care.were you satisfied?
    i have never been in this situ before and would like any advice on the pitfalls of this kind of experience.
    i drummed into the repairer how much i like my car and that i will be very fussy with the work carried out and that i want the final inspection outside in the sunshine to pick up any faults.
    i will go over it with a fine tooth comb on getting it back.
    the upshot being no one was injured bar the other drivers insurance premiums so that was good but my god what a lovely start to the festive season.-BAZZ

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bazz's xmas prang ooouuuccchhhh.-fox-cars-180-.jpg   bazz's xmas prang ooouuuccchhhh.-fox-cars-181-.jpg  

That's nasty Bazz, at least she didn't hit you harder and write off the back of it. bit of minor work and you've still got a sweet car.
    What kind of exhaust is that hanging out the back? Looks pretty sick.
    Cheers
    Jamin

[QUOTE=bazgti]well sometimes the xmas holidays start with a wimper,not mine it started with a bang from behind doin 25km.

Sorry to see that Bazz, lucky with this sort of car not to get it written off, they do it so easily these days...
    Do you need a lender for a few days?
    Chris
    205gti

thanks jester fu for the advice.i have already talked to the racv[her insurers]and the panel shop where the work is getting done is racv approved so they do not need for the vehicle to be assesed out of doors so to speak.
    the repairer has already given me the go ahead to get it fixed as per instructions from racv.
    it is booked in for the 5th of january.they have already approved the claim.
    i asked her nicely at the time to please go straight home and put in the claim by phone and to admit total liability,she has done this,racv have already got the fax with fotos and repairer quote and this has been aproved so i dont have to worry about it[fingers crossed]].
    i went straight to two panel shops to get quotes from the accident and it all has happened really quickly.
    i really do not want to report her to the police for dangerous driving,accidents happen and i accept this as part of life .i dont think it is necesarry in this case as no-one was injured and the claim has been aproved.she admited liability and
    she has signed a statment at the time of accident admiting liability for the damage to my car.
    i have this to fall back on if something goes amiss.
    it is not necassery to report an accident if no one is injured and the police will not attend a scene of the accident unless someone is injured or the crashed vehicles are blocking traffic.they will stop if passing to see if everything is ok.though.
    i was lucky really in one way as if she hit it a few inches back towards the car[a second or two earlier] she would have got the rear wheel and done some real damage.
    reporting her to the police is a personal decision i have decided not to persue.-BAZZ

[QUOTE=casnell]
    Quote Originally Posted by bazgti
    well sometimes the xmas holidays start with a wimper,not mine it started with a bang from behind doin 25km.

Sorry to see that Bazz, lucky with this sort of car not to get it written off, they do it so easily these days...
    Do you need a lender for a few days?
    Chris
    thats nice of you to offer mate .i dont need one at this present time as its still very drivable but if anything happen s to the contrary ill let you know
    .the racv girl said that it had to constitute 3/4 of the value of the car to write it off in other words about 3.5 - 4000 damage.i reckon the final quote wont be over $2000,-BAZZ
    Last edited by bazgti; 23rd December 2004 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamin
    That's nasty Bazz, at least she didn't hit you harder and write off the back of it. bit of minor work and you've still got a sweet car.
    What kind of exhaust is that hanging out the back? Looks pretty sick.
    Cheers
    Jamin
    youre so right mate,a couple of seconds earlier and she would have written the back off for sure.you know i didnt even really know or feel her hit the bumper.i was turning right and was about round the corner and she just hit the very corner edge but it just ripped it all very cleanly off and when i looked in the rear mirror it was on the deck.
    it has done no other damage so im really lucky.a bit of good panel work and you wont know.
    the exhaust is a made up of ,commodore high flow cat,stainless pipe into aluminium walker middle muffler into stainless tube into stainless rear walker twin tip muffler with square chrome tips.the tips were on the old exhaust off of previous owner,i really like em,they set off the rear better then say a round tip would .it goes with the squarish look of the back.it was a very cheap set up compared to a remus and i didnt want a loud exhaust but wanted a nice note on acceleration.im very happy as it was about $500 fitted by midas in balwyn[great workmanship too,has been complemented by my mechanic-BAZZ

Icon8

sorry to hear the news bazz hope the 205 is back in action soon
    '04 307 XSE Touring Auto - Diablo Red
    '06 206 C Auto - Diablo Red

Quote Originally Posted by richardhayward
    sorry to hear the news bazz hope the 205 is back in action soon
    thanks mate,its still very drivable infact she only just caught the corner of the bumper,but enough to ripp it out.
    it just dont look as good with the rear bumper.valance missing.
    these cars look so good when all clean and shiny and straight.-BAZZ

Good idea to insist on checking it in daylight, but beware the repair shop telling you to come and collect it at 5pm on a Friday, or even worse, a Friday before a long weekend -- they know you're less likely to leave it with them if you're still not happy with their work that way. If they offer you a Friday pickup, grit your teeth and tell them you'll pick it up on the following Monday morning.
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ére grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

What a shame Bazz , you've been putting in the time to get the car to top spec and now this...

But...if there is one good thing that I can see, it's that the red reflector strip is still intact!!!

Hope you don't have any troubles with the repairs....and have a good xmas.

Cheers
    Pete
    ------------------------------
    '88 205GTi

bloody grannies i would have confiscated her grand kids & held her to ransom.

I've never seen a pic of your car baz, but that look quite tuff

Do the driving community a favour and report it to the police. You don't know her driving record, it could be good or bad. So many old drivers persist in driving even when their family & doctor tell them to give it away. Fortunately, or unfortunately,the time they do stop driving usually occurs when they have an accident, which in some cases, can be observed 'as an accident waiting to happen'.

Ahhh... assuming the car she's driving doesn't show a lot of battle scars, can't we assume this is her first and it might be a 'wake-up call' for her?

A lot depends on the law, however. There is a damage value (total, both cars) that makes it necessary to report crashes. That and personal injury. How's your big toe? You didn't stub it on the accelerator when you got the jolt of the crash?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Ahhh... assuming the car she's driving doesn't show a lot of battle scars, can't we assume this is her first and it might be a 'wake-up call' for her?

A lot depends on the law, however. There is a damage value (total, both cars) that makes it necessary to report crashes. That and personal injury. How's your big toe? You didn't stub it on the accelerator when you got the jolt of the crash?
    now you come to mention it mate i have a very sore neck-WHIPLASH,WIPLASH,PERSONAL INJURY PAYOUT YEAH!!! ha ha ha
    no but seriuosly i might report it im not sure.she has admitted fault and told so to the insurance company.i actually taped the phone call to her that afternoon and she admitted it there and then again.also taped the phone conversation with racv.
    [mobile phones can be wonderfull devices]
    i have had two confermation panel quotes emails today from the two panel beaters i went to.
    they both came in $50 of each other.they were1-$1713
    2-$1766
    the second one is from an racv accredtited panel shop[surreyhills panel care]and is the one that i prefer.i looked over some cars waiting to be picked up while waiting on my quote and found it hard to tell where the original damage was on any of them.a good sign id say.

the other panelshop is not racv accredited.wether $50 will sway them to go to a panel shop not accredited by them is something ill wait to see.
    they already booked me into surrey panels for the initial engineers report on the rear end.
    they are just waiting on that report to go ahead woth the work.
    yesterday on the phone i was told that it will go ahead unless the total cost is over 2/3 of the val ue of the car.as she has admitted fault and total liability.
    i cant really see there being any more than the panel work but as i said before better safe than
    sorry. will kepp posted on the results.

jester-i was amazed at how calm i actually was after the accident and my attitude in general.
    i love my little pug and dont take well to damage but when she came over and admitted fault and explained what happened ,i couldnt go off at her.
    call me an old softy but with the grandkids in the car i was more worried about personal injury .it also made me think of my mum driving around with her grandkids and i thought 'whats the use of goin off tap].i dont think your attitude is jaded its a very acceptible opinion after youve had a couple of idiots do silly things and crash into you but i was amazed i didnt react like that as i have done in the past.

purrrgeot-it does look quite tough when the rears off like that and you can see the big arse muffler and shit.
    the good news is today when pulling apart the bits that came off the car i noticed that the lower spoiler is still very much intact and can be kept for a spare also the fog lamp and rear reflector.
    these things are all listed to be replaced so i csn use the foglamp as an extra reverse light in the bottom valance where the reflector would be and have a spare valance.

some one requested a reflector on the for sale section,if you read this and they put a new one in my repair,you can have the old one...
    anyways they have also made provisions for an engineer to come out to inspect the rear end for alignment and torsion bar setup damage.i would very much doubt if there is any as she just clipped the bumper and i didnt even feel it but i insisted as its better to be safe than sorry later.

i spoke to the panel shop today about getting a few chips touched up and also noticed the red reflector panel although already a bit lifting has lifted more and they said they will take care of both for no extra charge and give me a little bottle of touch-up chip paint to take home. pretty good aye!
    -bazz

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

well sometimes the xmas holidays start with a wimper,not mine it started with a bang from behind doin 25km.i had a 74 year old grandmother with the grandkids in the car hit the accelorator instead of the brake going thru a stop sign.

well Baz, lucky she didn't damage the reflector strip, that thing is worth more than the car these days.

Unlucky though buddy, now there are 2 of us with pre-christmas bingles.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    well Baz, lucky she didn't damage the reflector strip, that thing is worth more than the car these days.

Better make that three.

On thursday I had a woman run up the back of me in town here while I was waiting for a bus to enter the traffic flow.

Luckily, although it make a real mess of her Laser, you have to look twice to find the dent on my 504's bumper

Unfortunately though, my 504 has now been defected, so I spent Christmas day building another car to take to Melbourne today.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

i know dude,i see that many requests for them i was thinking of taking mine off and auctioning it off and go buy a NEW car .ha ha ha ha.
    that was one of my first concerns before getting out to take a look at the damage.
    i was very fortunate that it did no panel damage.had she hit me 2 seconds earlier ,she would have hit the rear wheel and as they say in the calssics-good night vienna.a total write off according to the insurance company.and maybe rear suspension issues if not a write off.
    she just clipped the bumper corner but at the right angle to ripp it off.
    what happened to you?-BAZZ

i know dude,i see that many requests for them i was thinking of taking mine off and auctioning it off and go buy a NEW car .ha ha ha ha.
    that was one of my first concerns before getting out to take a look at the damage.
    i was very fortunate that it did no panel damage.had she hit me 2 seconds earlier ,she would have hit the rear wheel and as they say in the calssics-good night vienna.a total write off according to the insurance company.and maybe rear suspension issues if not a write off.
    she just clipped the bumper corner but at the right angle to ripp it off.
    what happened to you?-BAZZ

Well, if you do decide to get rid of your reflector panel PLEASE let me know!! If we get yours then Reggie can have our old one.

As for my car, it was just a little tap in the rear. Not my fault so I'm not out of pocket. However, the guy who hit me had no insurance and will now foot the $2K bill to get it fixed. Only problem is I don't have my car for 2 weeks and have to drive my GF's 205 gti... so not so bad

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Well, if you do decide to get rid of your reflector panel PLEASE let me know!! If we get yours then Reggie can have our old one.

As for my car, it was just a little tap in the rear. Not my fault so I'm not out of pocket. However, the guy who hit me had no insurance and will now foot the $2K bill to get it fixed. Only problem is I don't have my car for 2 weeks and have to drive my GF's 205 gti... so not so bad
    i thought driving the 205 would be a step up from the 306 ha ha ha ha.
    but seriously how are you going to ensure that the guy pays up.,i have a 6'5" sth african debt c ollector who is the nicest man in the world unless he is chasing you for money.he costs about
    $150 or so but ensured payment on a few uncoleccted debts of mine and my brothers.
    and no i wont sell the reflective strip ,i have already had quite a few offers from people misreading[or just hopefull]that it was that i was selling ,not the little square reflector in the valance which the post clearly states.good luck with the prang mate and contact me if you need the number of my debt collector-BAZZ

It's a pity that a Gardener wasn't the one to hit your car and you could have done some sort of contra deal to tidy up the garden in the pic !!! he he
    I would recommend Rugolo motors in Ascot Vale. Great panel beater and reliable and trustworthy.
    The panel that popped off is only plastic and is held on by plastic clips. Where is the damage that gets the repair to $1700 odd? Is there bent metal anywhere in there? Guess there must be, but it doesn't look too bad thankfully.
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

i thought driving the 205 would be a step up from the 306 ha ha ha ha.
    but seriously how are you going to ensure that the guy pays up.,i have a 6'5" sth african debt c ollector who is the nicest man in the world unless he is chasing you for money.he costs about
    $150 or so but ensured payment on a few uncoleccted debts of mine and my brothers.
    and no i wont sell the reflective strip ,i have already had quite a few offers from people misreading[or just hopefull]that it was that i was selling ,not the little square reflector in the valance which the post clearly states.good luck with the prang mate and contact me if you need the number of my debt collector-BAZZ

No it's cool Baz, my insurance company is taking care of that side of thing.

Oh don't get me wrong, driving the 205 is quite respectable, but the stereo we have in it is pants and it rattles like buggery inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    It's a pity that a Gardener wasn't the one to hit your car and you could have done some sort of contra deal to tidy up the garden in the pic !!! he he
    I would recommend Rugolo motors in Ascot Vale. Great panel beater and reliable and tru stworthy.
    The panel that popped off is only plastic and is held on by plastic clips. Where is the damage t hat gets the repair to $1700 odd? Is there bent metal anywhere in there? Guess there must be, but it doesn't look too bad thankfully.
    the bumper and valance are actually bolted together in five places and have clips in three places.well mine does anyway.
    the bumper is bolted on to the bumper irons.
    the bumper ripped off completly taking the valance with it ripping holes in the bumper,i insisted on new bumper,valance,foglamp,reflector,no plate lights.
    and every thing that came off,also it took of the plastic trim on the passengers side so there is the trim and red insert and clips.
    also i have insisted the new plastic trims and bumper[which will come in black from peugeot]be painted the original grey and match existing old trim .
    the valance will also be black and will need to be painted to match.plus labour and stuff it soon adds up,beleive me.
    i also insisted on a rear end alignment and inspection also new bumper irons.
    whats the big deal if it cots $1700 or so.i aint payin for it.
    panel beaters aint the cheapest of places to visit any time,if it was my fault ,id go to my mates with a new bumper and live with colour diff and scratches on the old valance.
    my real concern is that the car is restored to its original aparance.
    i like your gardener crack,maybe you feel like comin over and giving me a hand .he he ha ha.
    -BAZZ

Thread Information