New Windshield for the GTi180
  • Register
  • Help
    Zen

Default New Windshield for the GTi180

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share you my experience this morning...

Advertisement

Was driving to work along Ipswich Road travelling along at 90km/h (stupid new speed limit). I had about 4 car lengths to the car in front of me on the right hand lane and a truck on the left lane about 5 car lengths ahead. I didn't hear anything hit the glass but I saw a crack appear on the right hand bottom of the windshield. As I drove I could visibly see the crack spreading across into my field of vision, the crack ending up about 40cm from the very edge. I knew that if the damage was directly in the field of vision of the driver I had a snowball's chance of getting it repaired.

I had a look at the glass when I arrived at work and there was the smallest chip of where the stone/whatever hit the windshield on the very edge. I called Peugeot to ask how much it would cost for a new windshield (athermic glass and rain sensor) and they said... $700... plus fitting so it would come up around the $1000 mark. unF, bend me over. So I called my insurance company and I was well impressed with their service considering I'd only dealt with RACQ previously. They organized everything and will be sending someone over to replace it with a genuine windshield. I'm hoping they can get one from Peugeot today or else I'll have to wait till next week while they get one from down south.

All in all I was pissed when it happened and surprised with the cost of a new windshield (I was hoping to not make a claim and cop the excess) but was most impressed with the insurance company. Could have been worse, could have had a truck pull out in front of me and have the guy behind run into the back of me like what happened to my boss yesterday. We're waiting to see who in the company is gonna be the lucky third to have to make a call to their insurance. Anyone else had to replace their windshield in a 206?

Rich
    Last edited by Zen; 23rd December 2004 at 02:07 PM.

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i'd expect a price like from a dealer

i priced a 206 screen when i had mine replaced in the 306 and it was only around $350 fitted and it was athermic

the rain sensor if it is the same as the 306 sits inside the car and the screen has nothing to do with it

as for the car flexing without the screen i will have to disagree with the 306 comment

the screen in mine actually came adrift on a 800km round trip one day when i was only 200km into the trip and the car didn't lose any shape whatsoever nor did it make any noises to indicate anything was moving around

mind you when the old screen was in the car and it had a crack in it the crack never grew when driving the car

the only time the crack grew in the old screen was when it was left parked in the sun and the interior heated up enough to expand the air and force the crack in the glass so it was never chassis related growth

so if the crack in the 206 grew then they rely more on the glass than the 306 does
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu

As for the price... have you got a price on a genuine ford or Holden windscreen lately?? Nearly the same money, and they don't have athermic material in them!!

the athermic should not add to the price as much as the delaers will lead you to believe

all it is is a tint film between the laminations

would you pay twice the price for a tinted windscreen over a normal one ?

then why pay for it with an athermic screen
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

but that is where they put the athermic caoting in, between the laminations

same with tinted screens have the tint between the glass and the 'plastic'

there should be 3 layers to a screen

2 outer ones are glass and the inner is the plastic type non shattering device to keep the glass all in one place

in between all of this they place whatever tint/athermic/colour they like

tinted screens were once illegal in this country but they seem to have backtracked on that these days with the athermic screens

but still the screen i got when i needed one was 1/2 the price of the one from O'brien as they said that only peugeot make them

load of crap as i found out otherwise that there are others that make then and including fitting was a lot cheaper than through O'brien or a dealer

if i had sikaflex here i would have put the thing in myself as that is all they use and from what i have heard there are 2 types they can use

one sets in 2-3 hours on a warm day and the other sets almosts instantly

the other thing pugs have over most other makes is that there is a good 20-30mm of contact around the edge for the glass to adhere to the sikaflex where as most of the holdens and fords have around 10mm

not a lot to hang onto when you think about it and they rely on the screen to hold the car together
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

XTC

I too had a replacement windscreen in the 206 .. and the clips for the sensors is bonded on the inside (have photo's if you want them), it was broken by the dealer, with a small chipped edge (and a crack that migrated and forked by the day upwards).

The windscreen does add a small amount of structural rigity, but much of the reason for not driving the car for 6+ hours afterwards is the passenger airbag relies on the windscreen to be there to work properly, it props against it. If the windscreen is not set it WILL pop out, rendering the airbag almost useless. There you have it.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    so if the crack in the 206 grew then they rely more on the glass than the 306 does

It would probably have something to do with how stiff the chassis is on the 180. I've never had a car before with a chassis so tight that itwill lift a wheel off the ground going up a driveway on the wrong angle. If the windscreen is part of the structure of the car, in the 180 it is going to have more pressure on it. There is a reason Peugeot don't offer a factory sunroof on the model after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrie
    It would probably have something to do with how stiff the chassis is on the 180. I've never had a car before with a chassis so tight that itwill lift a wheel off the ground going up a driveway on the wrong angle. If the windscreen is part of the structure of the car, in the 180 it is going to have more pressure on it. There is a reason Peugeot don't offer a factory sunroof on the model after all.

i take it you have never driven an N5 306

i pick up wheels in the front yard here
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I'd say this is because the regular 206 sunroof is so ugly and is such an unpopular option, rather than it having anything to do with windscreen as a part of structure.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    I'd say this is because the regular 206 sunroof is so ugly and is such an unpopular option, rather than it having anything to do with windscreen as a part of structure.
    I agree, it is extremely ugly. Sadly, I see plenty of them around where I live. (There are so many 206s that I'm constantly amazed - very few 180s thank god).

I have seen a quote, though, saying that the reason Peugeot did not include it as an option on the 180 was for structural reasons. If you think about this it does make sense. The roof of a car adds plenty of strength to its structure (convertibles require extra steel in the floor to make up for no roof). Taking out a section of a roof is going to weaken this support and allow more twisting. In a car with as tight a chassis as the 180 the stress on the roof would be increased. So taking out this section (especially as it is a curved roof which would increase rigidity) would probably not be a good idea.

I agree, it is extremely ugly. Sadly, I see plenty of them around where I live. (There are so many 206s that I'm constantly amazed - very few 180s thank god).

I have seen a quote, though, saying that the reason Peugeot did not include it as an option on the 180 was for structural reasons. If you think about this it does make sense. The roof of a car adds plenty of strength to its structure (convertibles require extra steel in the floor to make up for no roof). Taking out a section of a roof is going to weaken this support and allow more twisting. In a car with as tight a chassis as the 180 the stress on the roof would be increased. So taking out this section (especially as it is a curved roof which would increase rigidity) would probably not be a good idea.
    It's never a great idea to cut a hole out of a perfectly good roof! Nor is it a great idea to cut the whole roof off, regardless of how much reinforcement you make to the platform.

I'm sure a sunroof would've been fine in the 180 if they had a regular convention alone handy, rather than their oversized hunk of junk that is an option on the regular 206s. There's just too much roof missing!

Just as a side bar, I really like sunroofs I'm just not dillusional about their impact to overall car safety

VIP Sponsor

205 GTIs do this all of the time, even when driving into service stations. More the short travel rear suspension rather than the body stiffness.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    What, you mean you don't actually like that enormous piece of smoked plastic sitting on top of the roof, rattling away continuously? How odd...

I'm must say though, that the 206 sun roof is very popular (or at least it was when it first appeared on the scene).

I'm biased, however, I really do not like sunroofs. The glass-roofed 307 SW I drove around in Europe for a month was great, however. I could put up with one of those.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    205 GTIs do this all of the time, even when driving into service stations. More the short travel rear suspension rather than the body stiffness.
    Graham
    They certainly do. I don't think Industrie was trying to one-up any 205 or 306 owners though. The 206 screen seems ridiculously large compared to both the 306 and the 205, however, and so it would be logical to think it plays a big role in the structural integrity of the car.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information