Some stats from my recent road trip
  • Register
  • Help

Default Some stats from my recent road trip

Hi guys

Advertisement

I thought I'd share some statistics with you from my recent road trip from central Melbourne, to Sydney and back again.

I basically used the car for the drive up and back, and a little bit of a hoon about central Sydney to show it off to some local friends.

Total km: 1784
    Av. L/100km: 8.0
    Av. Speed: 91 km/h
    Longest stint: 522km from Enfield to Albury, filled up with 41.22L (not bad!)
    Potential speeding tickets: 1 that I know of... Does anyone know how the radar boxes on the highway patrol cars in NSW work?

Number of dead bugs in the grille: I shudder to think!
    Amount of time it will take to clean them off: Don't ask, I haven't had time to yet... Although I did find some birds lurking around the front of my car, as I got close I saw one hop up and take a bug out of the honeycomb grille.

I found that I enjoyed the trip. I didn't suffer from any back pain as I've had in the past making the trip in other cars, both as passenger and driver.

Any comments, observations or questions will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Nick

Way to go dude. If it wasn't for Double Demerits this Xmas, I would have gone to Melbourne myself.

The most disgusting thing - those bugs on the bonnet. Worst is when you wash it with hot water and you can smell that they are kinda cooked/boiled.

Did you get any dents on the front? Or did you buy yourself some headlight and bonnet protector before the trip?

Codgamer.

Quote Originally Posted by codgamer
    Way to go dude. If it wasn't for Double Demerits this Xmas, I would have gone to Melbourne myself.

The most disgusting thing - those bugs on the bonnet. Worst is when you wash it with hot water and you can smell that they are kinda cooked/boiled.

Did you get any dents on the front? Or did you buy yourself some headlight and bonnet protector before the trip?

Codgamer.
    Haven't washed it yet, although I did use the high pressure gun on it this morning to knock off the majority of it. I didn't see any dents from them, just stone chip I got ages ago from a truck on the Great Ocean Road. I'll get closer, much closer as soon as I'm able to. No headlight or bonnet protectors are fitted to the car...

I think the double demerits start on the 24th through to the new year. At least that's what the telly was saying while I was up there. I don't think that Vic Police has announced anything along these lines as yet.

I forgot a few of stats...

Number of times stopped to wash the windscreen: 3
    Number of times washed headlights at the same time, so that I wouldn't cook them on with the heat from the lights: 2, didn't think of it the first itme.
    Amount of bugs I pulled out from between the headlight and panel: too many to fit in such a small space.
    Most annoying place for a splat: drivers window along the rubber/rail, that's going to be agony to get out!
    Number of moths that got caught in the windscreen wipers and watched me drive for the next hundred km: 2

Cheers!
    Nick

So much for the freeway run...

Now... what about some adventure? A mountain trip? Some narrow roads out in Central Thicktoria?

Glad to hear you experienced the comfortable seats. As for the radars, you find they are set at about 10% over the limit and you get an invoice in the mail for using that section of road if they found you by this system.

Tadpole

Contemplating buying a 180, the more I read the more confusing it gets.
    Had atest drive in one the othe day (only a few K's) , found it very enjoyable.

The car sems to have plenty of low down power, it takes off in second without any trouble, yet if you listen to some of the road tests reports they would have you believe that you got to rev the freckle of the engine to get anywhere.
    What did you think about the cruising speed ?
    Was the engine working hard at speeds of 120km/hr ?

The dealer here can get me one on the road for $35,000 seems good value to me, any advice most welcome.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by codgamer

Codgamer.

dents ?

i hope bugs don't dent the new cars otherwise they are starting to make them from tinfoil

i have never had a dent from a bug impacting on the car and even the galah i hit once at 160 didn't dent the car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

I meant dents from the little stones flicked up by those huge trucks.

Codgamer

Quote Originally Posted by caveboy
    Hey Caveboy welcom to AF,

I understand whats you mean theres a lot of love for the 180 and a lot of car knocking as well in this forum

Take the car for a good 30 mins drive if possible to get a good feel for it over a variety of different roads ie highway, backstreets etc (i was hooked after 5 mins )

The car sems to have plenty of low down power, it takes off in second without any trouble, yet if you listen to some of the road tests reports they would have you believe that you got to rev the freckle of the engine to get anywhere.

The dealer here can get me one on the road for $35,000 seems good value to me, any advice most welcome.
    I sure does have a good bottom end
    At wakefield on the bacl twisty section of the track im all over most Na cars (was even giving a WRX a good run )
    At 100kph the taco will read a bout 3300rpmish

35k drive away is GOOD, they reatail for $34 990 + OR which would normally make it about 37K-38K drive away

I wish i got mine for 35 out the door

Hope this helps....

btw
    Go on do it..you'll love it
    "Racing is life, Everything else is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1930 - 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    So much for the freeway run...

Now... what about some adventure? A mountain trip? Some narrow roads out in Central Thicktoria?

Glad to hear you experienced the comfortable seats. As for the radars, you find they are set at about 10% over the limit and you get an invoice in the mail for using that section of road if they found you by this system.
    Thanks for that Ray!

I wasn't sure if the box is a camera housing or a speed detector gizmo. I'm not sure exactly how fast I might have been going when I was "checked" but I'm sure that time will tell...

As for twisty turny roads... My parents live close to the Dandenongs in outer eastern Melbourne so I make time occasionally for a drive through the hills above Ferntree Gully and out towards Lilydale in Melbourne all the time! I've been down the Ocean Road a few times as well. These are all great fun and I love doing them, but this is the first time I've taken my little 180 on a highway stretch. I've wanted to "test" the fuel economy numbers that Peugeot salespeople quote for a while and this was my chance. Up until I got back into Victoria I was sitting on 7.8L/100km but then I started doing overtaking manoeuvres (in order to get home sooner) and I got caught in traffic once in Melbourne which pushed it out to the 8.0L/100km that I quoted above.

Having said all this I think my next drive mission will be the Alpine Highway in Victoria from Wangaratta to Bairnsdale (I think). I was tempted to take this turn off on the way home, but stuck to my guns.

Caveboy...

In a nutshell I love the 180! Once you get used to it's quirks and idiosynchrasies it's a great little ride for hooning about town, powering through the windy roads and as I've now worked out, highway cruising.

Cruising speed was good, I spent the majority of my time on the highway between 100 and 120km/hr dependent on how the road was signposted. The engine literally purred at around 120km/hr, it loved it! It even handled the jump up to around 140km/hr on overtaking runs with ease. It sounded good and it had much more in it!

Sometimes it's so frustrating to be unable to use the car to it's full potential in this country. I don't know if they still have the open speed limits in NT, but it's a long way to go in order to clock up top speed legally.

$35000 seems to be about the right price for a 180 retail. I was told just over $39000 retail when I was quoted in July with a couple of options namely window tinting and the boot liner. I don't know what prices have done in the meantime but there may be someone on the forum who is better informed.

Hope I've helped the decision making process!
    Nick

I often turn off the Hume at Violet Town and go across to the east, over the hills to Merton, then head south through Alexandra.

It will love that road... and you can drop in on the olds for a cuppa on the way home!

Thread Information