206 GTI 180 - oil
  • Register
  • Help

Default 206 GTI 180 - oil

Just wondering what brand/grade of oil you guys are using in your 180?

Was told when doing a oil change with filter put in 4.5L then continually add whilst checking dipstic until it approaches full level. Is this what you guys are doing?

Advertisement

Cheers
    04' GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by blackster
    Just wondering what brand/grade of oil you guys are using in your 180?

Was told when doing a oil change with filter put in 4.5L then continually add whilst checking dipstic until it approaches full level. Is this what you guys are doing?

Cheers
    Hey Blackster,

I use Mobil 1 Super synth 5W50...... its the same stuff my dealer uses

Trust me for a oil and filter change on the 180, the oil Sump will hungrily eat up all 5 litres and then some (top of my head 5.3L correct me if im wrong guys

I usually get a 5L and a 1L bottle from a Mobil service station to make up the difference.

Check this out for detailed instructions
    http://206gti.net/oilchange/
    "Racing is life, Everything else is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1930 - 1980

Calling Jester_Fu to this thread

You want to know anything about oils, he is about to tell you
    S16 ownership is like a fine french wine, perfection personified

Spot on qd180...........

5.3 litres.....

Cheers

GTI145
    '89 405 MI16
    '00 206 GTI
    '04 206 GTI 180

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    I have read this thread, and can't see anything i disagree with except the Mobile Oil being used. But, each to their own.
    Its spelt "MOBIL" for the last time

And whats wrong with the Super Synth5W50.... please explain

what do you use????
    Last edited by qd180; 23rd December 2004 at 03:06 PM.

On a car with 10k service intervals, it's not likely to make any difference to the engine life. Start throwing some hard driving in there (like open speed days) and it might be worth considering an oil change (no filter) after every track day. Oils react to heat, and their properties change. Synthetics are generally more resillient to heat and hard use, so it's less of a concern. But, if the oils syntheitc status was questionable, i'd be inclined to treat it like a semi-syn and drop it after each hard day. Just a little bit of insurance.
    I didnt know that
    Well its a good thing i drop the oil every 5000kms anyways

After each 5000kms the oil still is clear and golden so i guess its doing well

Free synthetic oil gimmie gimmie gimmie

Although Mobil 1 may have a fair amount of organic material in it, it doesn't mean it is necessarily a bad oil.

I think 5,000km changes on Mobil 1 is going a bit far as well. You should do a filter change, drop the oil and top up with another litre, but going a full change of a full synthetic is a bit much. Every 6000kms or 6 months which ever comes first, that's what I'd do.

What oil is actually recommended on the Pug? My ST uses 5W-30 which is quite a narrow range. I would think that a 5W-50 wouldn't have the level of stability that I'd want, but again, it depends on the car, I guess.

I'm using a full diester based synthetic and am very happy with it. But I've also read tests of US Mobil full synthetic (which has Moly on it, where I don't think Australia's version has Moly) and tests on Amsoil's PAO based full synthetic and the Mobil peforms better. That's in an LS1, but the Mobil kept it's viscosity for longer than the Amsoil did.

In any case, both are great oils and if you're changing it on time, and doing things like changing the filter...or even going overboard with 5000km changes with a full synthetic, then I don't think it really matters what you're using. A semi-synth would be fine with the 5000km change thing.

The mobil 5w50 oil which retails for around the $60/5L mark is as jester said not a true synthetic but based on mineral oil which has been refined highly. It is still considered a synthetic and most synthetic oils on the market are made from this base stock.

However I believe there is another Mobil 0w40 (I think that's the correct weight) which retails for about $90/5L and this I believe is a true synthetic with a PAO base stock and is completely chemically engineered with no mineral base stock.

An old AF thread posted some results from a lab test of various synthetics and from memory the Mobil 0w40 featured among the top three in performance across the board. However its 5w50 came second last I think. Doesn't mean it's a bad oil though as the comparison was amongst synthetics.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

That seems a little high, Mr fu.

Mine is very happy sitting at 90, with a little bit of urge (or 30 mins of Sydney peak-hour traffic), it rises to 95, but only goes to 100 and beyond with some serious driving - because as you know, the 180 has no torque down low and must be thrashed mercilessly to get it anywhere

Oh and BTW, (trying to keep on topic...) I'm using a Motul full synth. 5W40 oil in mine at the moment. Lots of people seem to like the Elf Excellium stuff which is also 5W40.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Speak to your friendly parts guy.. ..and he will say..."why not use Total???"
    We have all seen the sticker under the bonnet saying to useTotal/Esso

I have always used Total Quartz9000 - 5w40 ....5,000km oil/filter change under $80
    Cheaper if you know your friendly parts guy!!

My opinion is PSA is now one of the top 3 oil producers/suppliers after recently purchasing the remains of Exxon-Valdieze(???) and Shell EU.....so give the "GENIUNE ENDORSED" oil a go.......I think they know their stuff

If anything goes wrong at least you can say " I have always used Total "

Just maintain your oil change intervals...its the blood of your engine

Cheers

GTi145
    '89 405 MI16
    '00 206 GTI
    '04 206 GTI 180

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206

Mine is very happy sitting at 90, with a little bit of urge (or 30 mins of Sydney peak-hour traffic), it rises to 95, but only goes to 100 and beyond with some serious driving - because as you know, the 180 has no torque down low and must be thrashed mercilessly to get it anywhere

Oh and BTW, (trying to keep on topic...) I'm using a Motul full synth. 5W40 oil in mine at the moment. Lots of people seem to like the Elf Excellium stuff which is also 5W40.
    I think the convection properties differ quite significantly between oils. You'll probably find that the Motul you're using is more efficient at transferring heat. I've found this with the Elf excellium 5w40 I'm using compared to the Mobil 5w50 I was using earlier. The car now runs consistently 10 deg cooler.

- 306 gti6

GTI145, Total own Elf, I doubt there is much difference between their full synthetic 5W40 and Elf's.

FYI, on Neo, my oil and engine temp did not rise above normal for the entire day at Wakefield. Now there's stability...or a high tolerance gauge...

If I had a 180, I'd be running a 5W40, rather than a 50.

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    I think the convection properties differ quite significantly between oils. You'll probably find that the Motul you're using is more efficient at transferring heat. I've found this with the Elf excellium 5w40 I'm using compared to the Mobil 5w50 I was using earlier. The car now runs consistently 10 deg cooler.
    Speaking of which - Are you interested in doing another order of that Elf Stuff in the early new year Jude?

I dont have enough on hand for an oil change!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Mike, yep no probs. I'm os at the moment but should be back in Oz in a couple weeks so will do it then. I also read in another thread that Elf excell' now comes in 5L x 3 packs. I'll give Onshore a call to confirm and see which way works out cheaper and order accordingly.

- 306 gti6

Jude, what are you running in the 6? 5W-40? Use any oil at that viscosity? That's a bit thin... I used to run 10W-40...Amsoil. It's kinda hard to find a !0W-40 nowadays, I guess a 5W just gives you a bit more range...

Scott, do you get viscosity tests done as part of your tests? How does your hold it's viscosity through it's life?

Tadpole

Default Service

Jester what do you think of Regal motors service department?
    I assume you take the car there .
    Seems like abit of a waste changing synthetic oil every 5000k's

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206

Same mine runs at 90 constant and about mid ninty's in traffic

At Wakefield though late into the day i ran a full session (first car out and then flagged in for next session) and my oil rose to 130deg

The reason i do a filter/oil drop every 5000km is that the car is only driven on weekends enthusiastically
    plus ive got a contact that gets it at trade price any hows

Im just over cautious

What happens with mixing oils??? i would be lead to believe that its not good for said engine ( my car will be getting the 20K service at dealer where they use mobil 5W50 Hence the reason to why i use it)

No, not really, SLC. It was a hot day (about 30degree C ambient Temp + hotter on the track), and the car was being pushed fairly hard in the rev department. I think considering all, it held up pretty well. My temp normally sits anywhere between 90 and 100 (hence i said about 100) around town or on a long trip on a hot day wit hall accessories running. It's certainly not as stable as the GTi138 or the Mi16 engines.

And yes, i know ooohhhh sooo weell that the 180 needs to be flogged like a dead horse to get it moving
    You know what was weird? When I drove the 180, it's temps stayed fairly normal. When you drove it, it went up. When I drove my ST, it's temps stayed normal, but when you came in with it, it's temps were up... I didn't have a really good look, but I thought I saw the temp above normal.

Driving style? Not getting enough air in? Too much braking? Was a strange observation I made on the day.

Oh, I meant on the track, not when you came in. Of course when you come in and sit there idling without air coming in the temp would go up...although even then the Ford stayed normal. Freaky thing.

Anyway, could just be an air flow thing... or an overly sensitive temp gauge on the Pugs versus the Ford.

My car is back to normal now and isn't craving revs as much as it was for the first couple of days after the track day.

re: oil, I'll be running this diester based oil for at least one more change.

Hmm, this thread has gone a bit off topic

Thanks for the replies that were on topic.

So i guess 5.3L with filter and mobil 5w 50 are pretty much alot of peoples choices.
    04' GTi 180

You're such a good driver, Scott, you make my car fully hot, man! sik!

Yeah, I'd agree with most of what Scott just said, except for the 10W comment. Castrol and Elf both make a 5W-40 full synthetic which would be what I'd be going for... the Elf more than the Castrol.

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Jude, what are you running in the 6? 5W-40? Use any oil at that viscosity? That's a bit thin... I used to run 10W-40...Amsoil. It's kinda hard to find a !0W-40 nowadays, I guess a 5W just gives you a bit more range...

Scott, do you get viscosity tests done as part of your tests? How does your hold it's viscosity through it's life?
    Lincoln, I'm running the Elf Excellium 5W40 at the moment. The 5 weight is a bit of an overkill for Oz's winters but I'm not aware of a well priced 10W40 that is as good as the Elf. I don't think 5W40 is too thin though. At 100 deg C, a 5W40 has the same viscosity as a 15W40! Also today's synthetics are capable of handling a wide viscosity range.

- 306 gti6

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    I think the convection properties differ quite significantly between oils. You'll probably find that the Motul you're using is more efficient at transferring heat.
    When I first dumped the oil (at around 1500k I think) I used Mobil 1 0W40 in it, and the oil temp was sitting a bit higher - much like jester describes with his oil temp I guess. It was also much more prone to variations in temp. Definitely the Motul 5W40 stuff makes the temp behave much more like the old 138 did - stable - though not as much.

I can't give a good reason why I would not use a 5W50, but I just wouldn't
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information