205gti warning lights
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 205gti warning lights

on my 205gti the catalyctic converter light is on most of the time.
    sometimes its off but if i turn on the cdplayer or lights or anything else electric it goes on. With the indicators on it flashes as the indicators do.

What would be causing this?

Also, under hard braking and cornering (100kmh down to 50kmh and sharp corner) my oil pressure goes right down and the red light comes on, and so does a light saying STOP. When i go along the next straight for a bit or slow down a bit, after a couple of seconds it goes back up.

Advertisement

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,
    dave

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by davey o
    on my 205gti the catalyctic converter light is on most of the time.
    sometimes its off but if i turn on the cdplayer or lights or anything else electric it goes on. With the indicators on it flashes as the indicators do.

What would be causing this?

Also, under hard braking and cornering (100kmh down to 50kmh and sharp corner) my oil pressure goes right down and the red light comes on, and so does a light saying STOP. When i go along the next straight for a bit or slow down a bit, after a couple of seconds it goes back up.

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,
    dave

Dave,

Answer to the first question would be 'generic' poor earthing or even a few poor connections to either relays or fuses across the electrics in the car. It's probably not possible to pin point the exact location but a poor earth will cause voltages to occur at intemediate locations in the electrics changing the energising voltage for other components or accessories. The 'almost certain' fix will be to methodically check the connections to all relays and fuses (in glove box compartment) and in the several locations under the bonnet - LHS both front and rear). Then check earth connections and this one is a challenge, especially the main earth near the radiator (LHS front). I would reommend you disconnect all earths where you find then, clean back to bear metal then reconnect.

Answer to the second question is low oil level in the engine. I suggest you top up immediately and if not long since your last oil change, look for oil leaks.

Denis

Thread Information