Importing 406 coupe from italy
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Importing 406 coupe from italy

We are strongly strongly considering importing a 2002 406 V6 coupe from italy. All shipping is sorted but i was wondering if anyone knew what i would have to do to the car (if anything) when it gets here to get it registered? also if anyone knows about taxes etc that would be great too.

Advertisement

Thanks

Timmy
    63' 403 Sedan, Cream (OMY-403)
    63' 403 Sedan, Blue

Icon6

Hi Timmy,

If it is LHD then it will be almost impossible to register in Australia, and even if it is RHD then you have to have owned AND used it (and they check!) for at least 12 (or maybe it's now 18) months. It will have to comply with all the relevant ADRs, which means getting an engineer's certificate, which will cost at least $4000, if you can find someone willing to do one on a Froggy car.

Generally it is not worth importing modern (under 15 year old) cars into this country - the rules are stacked against you to protect the local market.

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Fellow Frogger!

just got news on this import. The current owner bought it in Australia (and had it registered) and is willing to ship it back in his name. Apparently this means there will be no import duty or compliancing as the same person took it from the country and brought it back. also obviously no engineers certificate as it is originally an ozzie car. does this sound true to everyone out there?
    63' 403 Sedan, Cream (OMY-403)
    63' 403 Sedan, Blue

why on earth would anybody ship a car from australia to italy - especially when it would be cheaper, and i would guess more readily available in italy - AND then ship it BACK to Australia???

Thats an awful expensive way to buy a car, which is available in both countries.

I dont understand!
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy
    just got news on this import. The current owner bought it in Australia (and had it registered) and is willing to ship it back in his name. Apparently this means there will be no import duty or compliancing as the same person took it from the country and brought it back. also obviously no engineers certificate as it is originally an ozzie car. does this sound true to everyone out there?
    Do you personally know this person, Timmy. The whole story sounds very, very suspect. Why would you ship a right hand drive 406 to left hand drive Italy when you could buy a LHD model over there? Why would you then go to the expense of shipping it back here to sell?

There have been various rorts involving overseas vehicles imported into Australia. Have you checked with consumer affairs and your state motor registartion department to see if they know anything about this person?

Unless this is a personal deal, involving someone reliable you have known for years, I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

What makes it more appealing than buying a similar car locally? A price too good to be true? If it looks that way then it probably is. "Too good to be true" almost always means maximum trouble with this sort of thing.

There are some things that might be worth buying like this - older vehicles that simply can't be had for love or money in Australia like this one! But not a car that is currently available here in Australia anyway, without the suspcious background.

Cheers

Rod
    Last edited by Rod Hagen; 21st December 2004 at 01:36 PM.
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

This all sounds very dodgy to me. If it is someone you know and trust then ok but if you don't I would not go anywhere near it.
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

Tadpole

iIt's an E-Bay Scam!

The vendor's name's not "Cousin Vinny" by any chance?
    In a word; RUN!!

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

IT could have been someone really liked that particular car that they took it o'seas with them.

I got quoted $3500 to ship my 206gti to my country, and I'm this close in doing it. However it is import duty there holding me back (100% on market price) Well, I could always import it as temporary entry and pay virtually $0 for that, then be able to ship it back from there to aus for about $2000US.

But wake up, this is only 206gti, not a super car. In Germany, GTI180 WRC edition is running 2nd hand at 14000 euros, with TUV deducted shipping will be almost free.

406 coupe can be of a special treat, but gettin it to and back from Italy is nonsens. Get a history on that vehicule before you even make your mind about purchasing it; beforehand, get some trustworthy mechanic to carry a tough inspection on its chassis.

All the best

Thread Information