Any experience out there with new Yokohama C Drive?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Any experience out there with new Yokohama C Drive?

Just spoke with Brendan re my earlier post (Need new tyres for 306) and he said the new Yokohama C Drive is replacing the A539. Has anyone had any experience with these or heard anything about them?

PS: His recommendation was the Michelin XM1's -- said they're way better than the Certis.

Advertisement

PPS: On earlier advice from the Froggers, will be going with 185/60 R14s.

Quote Originally Posted by Erboz
    Just spoke with Brendan re my earlier post (Need new tyres for 306) and he said the new Yokohama C Drive is replacing the A539. Has anyone had any experience with these or heard anything about them?

PS: His recommendation was the Michelin XM1's -- said they're way better than the Certis.

PPS: On earlier advice from the Froggers, will be going with 185/60 R14s.
    Haven't tried the C Drive, Erboz, but the pattern has some things in common with the Yoko AVS 550's that I have recently fitted on the 406. (The 550's aren't around in your size unfortunately). The 550's are great (quiet but excellent grip, wet and dry, and well made - minimal extra balance required)

I'd say the C drive are well worth a look.

(edit - I've just found a comparative review of the C-Drives on a south African site . Apparently they hang on well in the dry, but they had some reservations about aquaplaning tendancies - see http://www.topcar.co.za/pages/Featur...FeatureID=1041 )

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

I'd be careful of the conclusions on that Yokohama from that review. All of the tyres mentioned are ultra-high performance tyres, except the P7 would which would be a high performance touring tyre.

I'm sure if you compared that Yoko to the XM1 or the A539 it would outperform the other in the wet.

I also don't think that Sydney siders need to worry too much about aquaplanning ability. We don't have conditions with sheets of water over our roads like they do in the UK... and I have no idea about SA conditions. Our roads drain relatively well and we barely get any rain as it is.

Thanks for the link though, it's very interesting for my next purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    I'd be careful of the conclusions on that Yokohama from that review. All of the tyres mentioned are ultra-high performance tyres, except the P7 would which would be a high performance touring tyre.

I'm sure if you compared that Yoko to the XM1 or the A539 it would outperform the other in the wet.

I also don't think that Sydney siders need to worry too much about aquaplanning ability. We don't have conditions with sheets of water over our roads like they do in the UK... and I have no idea about SA conditions. Our roads drain relatively well and we barely get any rain as it is.

Thanks for the link though, it's very interesting for my next purchase...
    I almost added the same proviso myself, Lincoln. I was actually going to make a comment about things in different price brackets as well, until I looked at the South African prices shown on the individual reviews. The Yoko C Drives were actually the dearest tyre in the list!

I think you are probably right about the comparative performance of the C Drives with the XM1 and 539's though.

As far as water goes, Sydney gets more rain than most of England (far more than the south east where I used to live) , and when it comes it usually does so in a downpour. As you say, though, the Sydney roads are comparatively speaking well designed to cope with it (I notice this a lot living in Melbourne these days. A thunderstorm that you would barely notice the road effects of in Sydney will lead to flash flooding all over Melbourne, fundamentally because the drains here were designed around much lower maximum flow rates than the Sydney ones.)

South African conditions are actually pretty similar to Australian ones, but perhaps a bit more like Victoria than Sydney - less rain than Sydney, but falling more frequently, in places like Johannesburg and Capetown

Cheers

Rod
    Last edited by Rod Hagen; 20th December 2004 at 02:10 PM.
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Oh yes, Sydney does get a lot of rain, it just drains well and can handle our sudden downpours. You wouldn't drive on many highways around here and have to deal with so much water on the road that you'd have trouble maintaining traction. From what I hear this is a common issue in England on their motorways. But when in doubt...slow down, as I'm sure you know

In any case, I'm sure the Yoko would be better than a Bob Jane Allrounder which a lot of Australians are perfectly happy with. It's all relative in the end, ey?

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Oh yes, Sydney does get a lot of rain, it just drains well and can handle our sudden downpours. You wouldn't drive on many highways around here and have to deal with so much water on the road that you'd have trouble maintaining traction.?
    My first "real" accident (and the only one I've ever had where I'm prepared to concede all or most of the fault) happened on Forestway between Belrose and Terry Hills in Sydney back in 1969. Hit a puddle in a 403 wearing some very ordinary crossplys. Aquaplaned into the right hand lane, overcorrected with the faces of a couple in an oncoming car in my sights, and went off the left hand side into a dirt bank and rolled, ending up back on the wheels . (Still managed to drive it home to French's Forest in the end though with an interesting wobble from a bent rear axle. It was a tough car, the old 403).

Certainly taught me the value of decent tyres at a young age (and of seat belts, which we had fitted even though they weren't compulsory)! The same road , now, of course, is a multilane semi arterial, rather than a single lane each way with broken edges, dirt verges and next to no drainage, as it was in those days!

In Melbourne though, even the freeways still get flooded.

Cheers

Rod
    Last edited by Rod Hagen; 20th December 2004 at 03:26 PM.
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Tadpole

Default C-Drives Not Bad at all

I have had a set of C-Drives on my GTi6 for about 6-8 weeks now, and fine them quite good.

In the wet I haven't had many better, especially at $165 a corner. In the Dry they seem to give a little early but they are very progressive when they do.

For the money I am very happy with them and can recommend them.

Stuart

Oh what fun it is to ride....

Just got the new set of Yokohama C-Drives ($115 ea.) for the 306 and they're great.
    Now, so long as it doesn't rain...
    The more I learn, the less I know.

'96 306 XT '04 307 XSE

Thread Information