Need new tyres for 306, which of these four to choose?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Need new tyres for 306, which of these four to choose?

Have to replace all 4 tyres on my '96 306 XT. Which of these should I go with?

1. Michelin XM1
    2. Dunlop SP Sport 300E
    3. Yokohama A539
    4. Continental Premium Contact

Advertisement

Current tyres (175/65 R14) are a mix of 2 x Michelin MXT, 1 x Michelin Certis and 1 x Bridgestone B36 -- no wonder the drive's all over the place.

Do pretty much all my driving around Sydney city and inner suburbs, but would like something with a bit of grip and handling feel (and sharp braking for life's little surprises).

I've checked out all the tyre threads on the forums (took about a week) but there's not much to read on this particular size tyre. Would appreciate your recommendations.

Cheers and Merry Xmas to all!

Perhaps get quotes for 185/60 14 as well. You might find you can get a better tyre at the same price by going to this size as it is more common.

None of the below tyres really stand out to me. We've got the Contis on the 307 and I'd call them adequate.

I had a set of Bridgestone RE711's on my last 306 and they were just awesome, changed the driving feel quite a bit. They aren't available anymore though so I'm not quite sure what to recommend these days.

Is there any downside to using 185/60 R14 tyres? I've seen some posts arguing you should stick to the original tyre size (or am I reading that wrong)?

With a slightly wider size, you'd have a bit more bag on the rim. On a normal 306 like yours, I would be inclinded to think it'd have less of an impact than it would in say a Mi16 or GTi6. You're simply not pushing that hard.... in theory.

Of the tyres you have mentioned the A539 is the standout performer. My second choice would be the 300E, which I think would have more feel than the Yokos. But that's based on driving a couple of 307s with 300Es and spending a bit of time on A539s in a Liberty and a Mazda 323 Astina. So, take what you will from that...

If you're in Sydney, I use Don Cornell Tyres in Bexley on 9502 4666. A lot of AFers use them there, and I think he has the best prices in Sydney. Ask for Brendan.

- Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Erboz
    Is there any downside to using 185/60 R14 tyres? I've seen some posts arguing you should stick to the original tyre size (or am I reading that wrong)?
    Do you know what size rims you have on, Erboz. Moving to 185/60 is not a major change, and such tyres were fitted to plenty of 306's as standard equipment anyway.

I'm not a fan of "over-tyreing" Peugeots, but, in fact, an argument could well be made that it was actually "under-tyred" with the 175's.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    You on comission or what Licoln!!

**********WARNING********************************* ***********
    The following post has the potential to offend some Yokohama Lovers. The opinions expressed in it are that of "Jester_Fu" (The Fu) and reflect directly The Fu's own experiences with this make and model of tyre. The Fu is offering his opinion, as opinions are like @rseholes, and everyone has one. Further, The Fu values this advice at exactly what you are paying for it. So, take it with a grain of salt.

I had A539's on my Mi16, and they where the worst tyre i'd ever owned. Noisy as all hell, useless in the wet at 50% wear and would squeel like a beeyatch in hard cornering. I've heard good things from a few Pug techs about the Dunlop tyres, so i'd be leaning toward them in preference to the A539's. My experiences with Michelin have always been good on Pug's, but i think you will get a better tyre from Dunlop at a lower price these days.
    If you were running them on the Mi16, they would've been the Z rated tyres. This tyre size is an H rated tyre and against the tyres mentioned, I think it is a good tyre. The H rated version of the A539 has consistently received good feedback from people in that size.

In Z rated, in 195/55R15 or bigger, they are pretty much universally panned against the available opposition.

You talk about Dunlop, but the Dunnie in that size is a 300E. It's not a sports tyre, nor is the H rated A539 really considered a sports tyre either.

And no, I'm not on commission, I'm merely helping out. And man, doesn't anyone know how to spell my name?! It's written right in front of you! Sheesh!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i have had A509's on both an Mi-16 and a 504V6 and i found them to be a damn good tyre

they hung on well and didn't have any undue road noise associated with them

dave Mcbean is running 539's on his 505 i'm sure and he has raved about those on that car

BFYB just about anything is better than Michelin
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    BFYB just about anything is better than Michelin
    That slowly appears to be changing. With Michelin making more of their tyres in Thailand (MXV8, XM1, Pilot Preceda, BF Goodrich G-Force Sport), their prices are a lot more competitive than they used to be.

In my tyre size, they are near on identical in price between the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and the Pilot Preceda, as an example. The gap isn't as big as it was a year ago.

Okay, so to recap:

- sounds like the Contis and Michelins are so-so and A539s are worth considering

- Lincoln is spelled like the president

- Jester has an orifice like the rest of us

- both of the above have something nice to say about Dunnies, so they sound like a good choice (just the name is unfortunate)

- Brendan is the guy to call for rubbers

Any other opinions would be welcomed!

Dont discount Kumho Powermax either. My 406 came with these on it and they are not too bad. But I will going PremiumContact come renewal time.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Fellow Frogger!

Default Michelin Asian

I had two Thailand Michelins and two French Michelins on my MI16 about six years ago.

Cant remember what model numbers but were the same apart from the place of Manufacture.

Now the Thailand ones on the front would not grip in wet. First time I found this out was understeering across a road. Could not take off as fast as old lady from lights in an Excel!!!!!!!

Now when i put French to front car was good in wet. A friend in Tssie his wife had same problem as I did at an avearge speed her Subaru plough understeered. Her michelins went in garbage that day. First day she had the car.

Now there was a lot of similar stories in Pug Club magazines in East States at the time. Michelin was adamant there was no diference in the tyres. Now too many people disagree with Michelin my self included. Some people had their tyres changed by Michelin who continued to deny any problems.

I went to Pirelli after this and was happy.

So ok this was 6 or more years ago tyres were purchased and things change but not my memory of full lock and plough understeer on a City road at normal speed.

Graelin

Sounds like the Certis.

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    You on comission or what Licoln!!
    I had A539's on my Mi16, and they where the worst tyre i'd ever owned. Noisy as all hell, useless in the wet at 50% wear and would squeel like a beeyatch in hard cornering. I've heard good things from a few Pug techs about the Dunlop tyres, so i'd be leaning toward them in preference to the A539's. My experiences with Michelin have always been good on Pug's, but i think you will get a better tyre from Dunlop at a lower price these days.
    Actually, I would agree totally with this. I've got A539's (205/50/15's) on a 306 style. They are grippy in the dry, but scream and let go pretty quickly. In the wet, forget it, slippy slidey. Fun and scary all at once. This could be the size though, I should be running 195/55's. I have found them noisy aswell. I have found my GF's mirage with skinny dunlops fells like it stops harder in the wet!!! But like fu' said...just an opinion. Oh yeah almost forgot , the yokos are noisy on all but perfect surfaces and have shocking tramlining....again, could be size related. Picking tyres is one of the hardest choices, choose badly and you'll be annoyed for 50,000 klm's or more!

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...CORNERS
    I have found my GF's mirage with skinny dunlops fells like it stops harder in the wet!!! !
    Skinny tyres generally work much better in the wet. Its much easier to squeeze the water out of a narrow tyre than a wide one. That's why I always look for cover when I see a Holden ute with fat tyres and a bloke with a baseball cap on backwards behind the wheel coming up alongside on a roundabout in the rain!

The aim of big, wide, longitudinal grooves in many modern tyres is to reduce the width of the area that the water has to be squeezed from (You'll see this is one of the changes in the Yoko C drives compared to the older A539 pattern) . Wider still means worse in the wet though despite this.

Cheers

Rod
    Last edited by Rod Hagen; 20th December 2004 at 04:52 PM.
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Actually, I would agree totally with this. I've got A539's (205/50/15's) on a 306 style. They are grippy in the dry, but scream and let go pretty quickly. In the wet, forget it, slippy slidey. Fun and scary all at once. This could be the size though, I should be running 195/55's. I have found them noisy aswell. I have found my GF's mirage with skinny dunlops fells like it stops harder in the wet!!! But like fu' said...just an opinion. Oh yeah almost forgot , the yokos are noisy on all but perfect surfaces and have shocking tramlining....again, could be size related. Picking tyres is one of the hardest choices, choose badly and you'll be annoyed for 50,000 klm's or more!
    My personal experience with the A539 in Z rated is that they were as noisy as buggery and lacked a lot of feel. It's interesting to hear your opinion on an H rated tyre, as this is the first I had heard of noise issues in that speed rating.

As these are probably the first "performance" tyre I have driven on long term, it's hard to give to much weight to my opinion, but like I said, Thats how they feel to drive on. I'm very keen to try some new tyres, due very soon. Looking at some direzza's or something similar. But definately going back to 195/55 size. Hoping to regain some feel and progressiveness. The A539's do have upsides...the point when they do let go is quite high in the dry. Not something i do often, but I can push pretty hard around Delhi road (anyone who drives here will know the corners) when the conditions are right. The grip will exceed my ability....which is a good thing but they are not flexible enough. to baissed towards dry grip. and, linkin I might give your mate a call at bexly for some nw tyres.

But definately going back to 195/55 size. Hoping to regain some feel and progressiveness. ...
    THis makes a lot of sense to me, mmm. Yes, on "base models" Peugeot occasionally "undertyre" their cars (175's on an XT, perhaps) , but for the most part they pick something that is pretty close to the ideal balance in profile and performance.

Its not really in their interests to do anything else. They market handling as much as anything else in the Aus market. If there were real gains in going up a size or two in width, then they would do it, at least on the mid to performance models.

Unlike some other manufacturers they haven't got into the silly, and erroneous, game of "fat wheels = better handling". Unlike some others too, they simply don't need to. The suspension speaks for itself and they know that the trade off is a loss of quality performance in many situations.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

err, sorry to sound pedantic, but how long have you been running around with different brand of tyres on your pug? I'm not sure about where you are, but her in Melbourne, it's illegal to have 2 different tyre brands on the same axle, not only that it's pretty stoopid. it's one of the main reasons we only selll tyres in lots of 2 or 4. I can check at work tomorrow what brands we have available at the mo, but they would be second hand, prolly off pugs we've killed.

Quote Originally Posted by ffabre11
    err, sorry to sound pedantic, but how long have you been running around with different brand of tyres on your pug? I'm not sure about where you are, but her in Melbourne, it's illegal to have 2 different tyre brands on the same axle...
    Don't think this is really true, ffabre, although many people believe that it is so. See http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrpdf...e/vsi%2026.pdf

You can't mix tyres of different construction type (cross plys and radials for example) on the same axle , but there is no constraint on fitting different brands or tread patterns , as long as they comply in other ways. Tyre dealers will tell you otherwise, though, of course!

As I understand it the requirement concerning tread patterns only applies to heavy vehicles.

it's one of the main reasons we only sell tyres in lots of 2 or 4
    If I ran into a dealer who would only sell tyres in lots of two or four I'd be heading to someone else quick smart! Plenty of tyre sellers out there who aren't this silly! What am I meant to do if I need a new spare, or irreparably damage a single tyre? Buy two, just because the dealer wants to sell them in pairs? Come on!

Cheers

Rod
    Last edited by Rod Hagen; 20th December 2004 at 10:42 PM.
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

I had 205/50/15 A539s on my Mi16. I did about 10000kays on them (before I sold it). I thought they were pretty good, not quite as sharp to turn in as the Toyos I had previously, but plenty of grip wet and dry. And quiet. I definitely wouldn't say they were a terrible, noisy tyre. I'm pretty surprised to hear people say that.

I also have 539s on my 504, 205/60/15. They are great on this car. I actually think they are really well suited to a car that has softer suspension, less well suited to a car with really sharp handling. I've heard people say that the sidewalls are a bit soft, and on the Mi16 I would agree to this. They should be pretty good on a 306 XT though.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn
    I had 205/50/15 A539s on my Mi16. I did about 10000kays on them (before I sold it). I thought they were pretty good, not quite as sharp to turn in as the Toyos I had previously, but plenty of grip wet and dry. And quiet. I definitely wouldn't say they were a terrible, noisy tyre. I'm pretty surprised to hear people say that.

I also have 539s on my 504, 205/60/15. They are great on this car. I actually think they are really well suited to a car that has softer suspension, less well suited to a car with really sharp handling. I've heard people say that the sidewalls are a bit soft, and on the Mi16 I would agree to this. They should be pretty good on a 306 XT though.
    Yeah, every car is different. My main experience is on a Subaru and I think that in any other car they would be quieter. Good to hear your feedback. I agree, I think it'd be a decent tyre on the 306 XT, especially against those listed.

THe A539 tread pattern certainly LOOKS like it would be a noisy one, with all of those diagonal hatchings though, Lincoln, and noise has been reported as an issue in various reviews - see http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/tyretest/yokohama.asp for referenmce to a couple of examples.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

nJm

Anyone know what the Michelin XM1 is like? I really hope they've improved over the Certis. There aren't that many 185/75R14 tyres around. Actually I've noticed that the XM1 is available in 185/80R14 which is the OEM size for the steel wheeled 505's. I don't think they've offered this size since the MXTE.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Gotta love this forum. Fresh dose of wisdom every time you come back to it.

Leaning heavily towards the Yokohama C Drives. There just isn't much to choose from for 185/60/R14s and most of the tyres available are more on the sensible 'comfort' side (including XM1s and Dunlop 300Es 175/65s). The C Drives are also a couple of bucks cheaper per corner.

From what I've read so far, noise and aquaplaning may well be related to bigger sizes where there's much more rubber on the road (may regret that conclusion for the next 50,000ks ).

One of the most informative sites I've come across for all the technical tyre stuff is:

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbi...yre_bible.html

Well worth a look.

Cheers.

I'd also consider Bridgestone's Potenza GIII in that size.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information