504 dash warning lights
  • Register
  • Help

Default 504 dash warning lights

Hi everyone,

On my 75 504 lti, theres a little red round light above and in between the rpm and the middle cluster. It comes on just before starting (like when u have it on accessories) and when i give it too her. Ive asked a friend (shobbz) what it was, he seems to think its the oil light. Can anyone confirm this, and tell me why its coming on at high rpm? Forgive my limited knowledge on the 504, I havent had much experience with the car, but with a flying background i know red lights that come on are bad lol.

Advertisement

Cheers,
    James.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

there are 2 red lights at the top of the 504 dash

the one to the right id for the alternator charge which is supposed to come on to warn you that it isn't charging

the oil warning light from memory is actually in amongst the guages in the where you have the fuel and temp

on one side will be one for oil and the other will be the high beam warning light

the other red light is for the handbrake warning light

then down the bottom will be an orange light for the choke warning for carby cars
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Hi James,

I think that light you are talking about is the brake pad wear warning light. 504 brake pads are fitted with a wire that when the pad wears down too low it creates a circuit and sets off that light on the dash. Check your front brake pads for wear, or otherwise may be a fault in the circuit.

Do you have an owners manual. It explains that. If you haven't got try ebay as they often turn up their. Type in Peugeot and it should find any available.

Regards

Peter J.
    PJ

Fellow Frogger!

Here is an image of the cluster in my old 504 Ti.

I think Peter J might be on the right track with the brake warning light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 504 dash warning lights-gauges.jpg  
    Last edited by Louis; 19th December 2004 at 09:32 PM.

the handbrake light is the same light used for brake warning or pad wear

when brake fluid is low or pads are getting close to the end the handbrake light will light up

later 504's had the brake warning light to the right of the dash on the actual dash panel along with a hazard warning switch and rear demister so depending upon which model 504 it is the lights may be a little different

the other red light is the charge light which in most 504's doesn't seem to work even though it should to create a circuit for the alternator to be able to charge
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Hi guys,

Just to confirm, the light im talking about is the one above and to the right of the main cluster gauge. Also while im at it theres two knobs just above the steering wheel, i know the one on the right controls the dash lights, but whats the other one for, i haven't figured out what it does, if anything.

Thanks for all your replys so far!
    Cheers,
    James.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Thje one on the left is a feng shui adaption, first pioneered by Peter Brock to bring better balance to the instrument cluster. It has no other function except in the extremely rare 504 ssssst, in which it is used to turn on the after burner, only needed when drag racing against fighter aircraft.

ed ge

Quote Originally Posted by James504
    Hi guys,

Just to confirm, the light im talking about is the one above and to the right of the main cluster gauge. Also while im at it theres two knobs just above the steering wheel, i know the one on the right controls the dash lights, but whats the other one for, i haven't figured out what it does, if anything.

Thanks for all your replys so far!
    Cheers,
    James.
    THe light is definitely the brake warning light, James. It will come on:

1) when the front pads are badly worn (don't ignore this, you might end needing new discs if you do)

2) when the hydraulic fluid level is low (don't ignore this either - you might be up for a new car or a funeral if you do)

3) when the handbrake is on

4) when the leads to the front pads come adrift and short out on any passing piece of car bodywork.

My bet, from your description , is that we are probably talking about 1 or 2 above. Its always best to treat this problem as 1 or 2 above anyway, unless you can prove it otherwise and get it fixed. The consequences can be very unpleasant!

As far as the two knobs go, the right hand one is the instrument panel light rheostat as you suggest. The left hand one was for resetting the trip meter , but its function is replaced by a knob on the speedo face on most Australian cars.

The oil light, by the way, is the red light under the fuel guage with a picture of an oil can above it.

Cheers

Rod
    Last edited by Rod Hagen; 20th December 2004 at 08:24 AM.
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

a couple of pics from the 504.org site the model shown has a clock instead of a taco but the lights are in the usual positions, hope this helps,
    Cheers Ranger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 504 dash warning lights-manuelus1974-page19.jpg   504 dash warning lights-manuelus1974-page21.jpg  
    "The defendant is no gentleman, but that is neither here nor there. We find for the defendant, much as we dislike him." A.P. Herbert

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    a couple of pics from the 504.org site the model shown has a clock instead of a taco but the lights are in the usual positions, hope this helps,
    Cheers Ranger.

that's ok but we didn't get hazard lights on 504's here till the later models

it think hazards arrived in about 77/78 on 504's
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information