Peugeot back in F1??
  • Register
  • Help
    rek

Peugeot back in F1??

<a href="http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/020320/4/cugbp.html" target="_blank">http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/020320/4/cugbp.html</a>

Peugeot started showing some hope with the Jordan-Peugeots of the mid-to-late 90s, but as soon as they hooked up with Prost everything went bad. Then Prost bought some (previous WDC/WCC winning no less) Ferrari engines and didn't do any better!

I guess now that Alain Prost is COMPLETELY out of the F1 picture, Peugeot are thinking of returning :p

Advertisement

But, personally I think Peugeot's home is in World Rallying. 205 T16, 306 Maxi, 206WRC ...
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Fellow Frogger!
    I agree, Rallying is the spiritual home of Peugeot, rigth back to 504s in Kenyan Safari Rallies.
    But I reckon the more exposure Peugeot can get the better. Hope they do go back into F1 (then I wont have support Renault, lol).
    They've also done well at Le Mans too (the 905 of the late 80s, was that a Group C car??) and didnt do to hot in BTCC.
    Oh well the more the merrier I say, just as long as it dont have a detrimental effecton the rally program

Well, the 504 rally cars were Johnny-come-lately compared to the even more successful Peugeot 404s of the 1960s...

The 404 sedan won the East African Safari in 1963, 1966, 1967 and 1968, plus innumerable other international rallies. The 504 only had 2 Safari wins

But Peugeot also has a great history in Grand Prix racing - in the period 1912-1914 they were nearly unbeatable with their DOHC 16 valve 4 cylinder engines (the world's first of the type). Heck, they even won the Indianapolis 500 three times with these cars (1913, 1916 and 1919).
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

The last time they even beat Ernie's successor...

And let's not forget the successes in the various round-Australia events of the fifties. Oh, I have a photo here, too:

The driver later got very keen about a Special he built...

Here's the car, ready to go in the Australian GP... and check out the contrast between the rabble he had as crew and his gorgeous bride next to the car...

Unfortunately, the poor girl was to lose her husband just three months later, the rocker cover got wrecked, and the car otherwise badly damaged...

Ray,
    Great post, do you have more info pics etc.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information