306 GTi-6 Body noise
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 306 GTi-6 Body noise

I've had my Pug for about 3 weeks now and am starting to get familiar with the noises it makes at different times. I find this important (call me obsessive) but it helps me to predict pending failures etc.

Advertisement

I've noticed that when reversing out of a slightly sloped driveway or other uneven surfaces at low speed, the area around the windscreen and dash seems to make a slight clicking noise as if there were quite a bit of body flex. I'm aware that the suspension is quite stiff but do other GTi6s out there do the same thing and is it normal to have this amount of body movement?
    From inspection, the car has not been in any accidents and is in good shape overall.
    ...also when starting the motor sometimes there is a noise that would indicate the starter motor is staying on for a bit too long, is this a relay problem, have any other N5 306 owners experienced this before?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

are you sure it is a body clicking sound ?

the GTi's will creak a little on uneven ground and will left wheels very easily as well

i quite often will lift a front or rear wheel and the sometimes i can hear the body creak a little around the door area but this is very rarely and depends on the angle of the surface under the car

the clicking sound has been discussed before and from what we can gather it sounds very much like a relay clicking but it seems to be and exhaust problem

the N5 306's have 1000 more spot welds over the older N3's so i wouldn't be too worried about the car falling apart on you just yet
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Nice to have another gti6 member around!

Rambo is right, my driveway it at an angle to the road I turn off and I regularly only have 2 or 3 wheels on the ground when turning in due to the stiffness of the suspension. I like the way the body flexes when it does this, reminds me what an awesome piece of machinery this is!

As for that clicking noise; I got no idea. Could it be the fuel pump?? Maybe have the bonnet open and have a listen while someone else starts it. But anyway, don't get me started on relays, I'm trying to battle my own demons with them (long story).
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    I like the way the body flexes when it does this, reminds me what an awesome piece of machinery this is!
    How so?
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

I am getting the same creaking or clicking sound when I reverse out of driveway. Seems to be coming from where dash meets windscreen. I assume it is dash rubbing against glass when the body flexes a little. Also more squeaks when I drive on bumpy bitumen. Anyone know how to quieten this noise? I have sprayed WD-40 . Seems to work only for a short time.
    1999 Peugeot 306 Gti6 - fast, comfortable, sublime handling.

Previous :-
    206 XT ,405 SRi, 505 GTi, 505 GR, Citroen GS

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    How so?
    After driving crappy old Mazdas for the past 12 years with suspension as soft as cotton wool, to hear the way the body on the 306 flexes and groans just reminds me of how stiff the set-up is. Mind you, we don't get it on the 205 which is as stiff as red gum log.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

...considering wheelbase and weight differences....I d say the 205 flexes more than even an n 3 306 let alone an n5.....I m sure many a member has seen or even has cracking along the roofline edge just above the front door pillar......Might have been pininfarina styled but it aint perfect.....sometimes time is the best guage of how well certain aspects are engineered or underengineered....

cheers

dino

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    After driving crappy old Mazdas for the past 12 years with suspension as soft as cotton wool, to hear the way the body on the 306 flexes and groans just reminds me of how stiff the set-up is. Mind you, we don't get it on the 205 which is as stiff as red gum log.
    I agree the 306 has a stiff chassis, but the thing is..the more the chassis flexes and groans, the less stiff it actually is. i.e flexing, groaning noises are actually an indication of a chassis which isn't stiff rather than the opposite! I don't hear any noises on mine and I've never felt the chassis flex on my car which is why I thought it is quite stiff. I've driven a S16 (N3 chassis) and I could definitely feel a slight flex when taking corners hard.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

[QUOTE=jastanis]I agree the 306 has a stiff chassis, but the thing is..the more the chassis flexes and groans, the less stiff it actually is. i.e flexing, groaning noises are actually an indication of a chassis which isn't stiff rather than the opposite! [QUOTE]

I see your point!!

alot of body noises with the 205 is because they have stuff[i think its called caulking,but not too sure] between the outer and inner panels at the rear which over time gives way to cracking.this ends up in more movement of the body in general with squeaks and noises.
    however after putting on my new konis[whoo hoo brag brag]i have far lees body movement when cornering and on uneven surfaces and although alot of the squeak and noises are mostly still there they are fer less noticable and not as loud.
    you can go to town with extra rear and front sway bars and strut bracing but youll never get rid of all of them-bazz

Thread Information