Oil Leak from under the engine.
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Oil Leak from under the engine.

Hi, I'm looking to buy a 1997 306 XSi from a friend, but when I inspected the car today, I found a fairly large patch of oil underneath the engine on the bell housing towards the rear of the car. Its not leaking in that you can't see any drips on the ground where he's had it parked for the last few day, but there’s definitely some seeping of oil from somewhere under there.

Advertisement

I'm just wondering whether this is a common of the 2.0l engines in the 306's and also what sort of action would need to be taken in order to get it back into nice reliable condition.

Any comments or suggestions on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Jodu.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

what colour is the oil ?

you may find it is the power steering cylinder is leaking which is seeming to be a common problem
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

First thing to do is clean the oil off and then after a day of driving, look carefully where it is coming from. When the oil fiter is changed on these cars oil runs down the front of the engine, under the air cond compressor, and all the way to the back of the sump. Most dealers service departments would maybe give it a wipe with a rag, leaving plenty of oil behind.

It needs to be degreased properly. This can be done in a "green" way at a Car Lovers establishment.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

Tadpole

Icon2

When I took my 98 GTi6 to the Pug Dealer in Perth for its pre-sale inspection, they found a small seep from the rear main oil seal and said that it was quite common. About $44 for the hockey stick seals and $792 for the labour + oil. Most people apparently leave it alone , just clean it up occasionally.
    I would be curious myself of any more info on this.

I also have a slight oil leak from the aircon compressor which will involve de-gassing and re-gassing after seal re-fit (about $250).

Fellow Frogger!

$44 for the Hockey stick seals!

They are 46 pence each over here in the U.K. from a Peugeot dealer!

Tadpole

That's from a dealer @ full retail... but very sad isn't it!
    Luckily the dealers aren't the only ones selling them.

Fellow Frogger!

It sounds like it would be cheaper to get them from a U.K. Peugeot dealer & have them posted over.

$44 for those hockey seals is a rip off

I hate to think how much the sump gasket would cost

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    what colour is the oil ?

you may find it is the power steering cylinder is leaking which is seeming to be a common problem
    It’s definitely the dark colour of engine oil, and not the redder colour of power steer fluid.

It’s also not from the oil filter and then running down to the back of the engine. The front half is absolutely spotless.

From what people are telling me, I'm starting to think that a little bit of oil in this area isn't too much of a drama on these cars, and that most of them have a bit of oil weeping from it. As long as a check is kept on it every so often, hopefully it won't develop into anything that is a lot more serious (like to the point where it actually starts dripping).

The other question I had before I wanted to buy the car, is where the hell is the damn engine number on the block? We've checked just about everywhere on that engine. Although it’s through a friend who I've known for a while, but I'd still like to cover all my bases

Thanks Again!

Default Oil Leak from under engine

Jodu.
    Iwould stay with the thinking in your third paragraph. If it's not resulting in the between service addition of oil or leaving a puddle of oil under the car.
    Live with it !!
    The $44 price tag on the "hockey stick" seals is the least of your problems.
    Have you looked in a manual to see what's involved ? The $700+ dollar quote for labour etc starts to make sense and it will leak again later!

The French don't seem to consider an oil leak any big deal. Peugeot 404 owners will know about the tin tray with its absorbent felt to catch the drips of oil from the gear selector shaft. The Renault 20 or 21 with it's "trough" below the engine and gearbox to direct any oil leak away from where it could look messy.
    Is this what they mean by "lateral thinking"?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Jodu.
    Iwould stay with the thinking in your third paragraph. If it's not resulting in the between service addition of oil or leaving a puddle of oil under the car.
    Live with it !!
    The $44 price tag on the "hockey stick" seals is the least of your problems.
    Have you looked in a manual to see what's involved ? The $700+ dollar quote for labour etc starts to make sense and it will leak again later!

The French don't seem to consider an oil leak any big deal. Peugeot 404 owners will know about the tin tray with its absorbent felt to catch the drips of oil from the gear selector shaft. The Renault 20 or 21 with it's "trough" below the engine and gearbox to direct any oil leak away from where it could look messy.
    Is this what they mean by "lateral thinking"?
    Is that what the piece of sheet metal underneath the 1968 404 gear selector was for! I thought it was to keep dirt away from the shaft, was the felt fitted by the factory? I have never seen the metal piece on later than 1968 models.
    Graham

Thread Information