Overheating 504
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Overheating 504

Fellow Frogger!

Default Overheating 504

G'day,
    this post is to inform people to spend the money and buy good quality parts for their pugs.
    I started up my car today and by about 2 kms it had heated just into the red and had pushed 1.5 litres of water out of the top of the radiator. Foryunately i pulled over before the engine could have been damaged, but it could easily have occured had i not kept an eye out for the temp. gauge.

The thermostat i put in my car was a Quinton Hazel thermostat, and after 900kms in a brand new engine the thermostat didn't open up and therefore the engine didn't recieve cool water when it should have. This pressurised the cooling system and forced water in the engine through the bottom of the radiator and out the top of the cap. Thank christ for the 4 pound cap on the radiator, it could have blown the head gasket if it had a higher pressure cap on it!

Anyway, i lost 1.5 litres of water, and i filled it up and got home. I replaced the thermostat with a sasic thermostat, and i put on a new 4 pound cap to be safe. It's fine now, and nothing is damaged, however it could have been.

Moral of the story: spend the money and buy good quality parts for your pug, as cheap stuff it liable to bugger up and could stuff your car up.
    My brother put a Quniton Hazel clutch in his MI16 and it was shit, when he put the better clutch in (i forget what brand) it was great.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Advertisement

Icon7

You were lucky there Andrew. Especially since you have just spent all that time and money on the motor. It pays to keep an eye on the guages. Have you put the AF sticker on yet?

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Irrespective of the brand: rule of thumb: ALWAYS check the workings of replacement equipment ( if applicable).
    Dont you check whether the replacement bulb in the tail light/head light works?
    Same applies to glow plugs, brake cylinders and all other.
    Merry yuletide

Tip for thermostats.
    Chuck into pot O hot water and see that it opens. (Holden)(that is if you bother running a thermostat at all).
    For the pedants, slowly heat the water with a thermometer and check that it opens at the correct temp.(Peugeot)
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma
    Tip for thermostats.
    Chuck into pot O hot water and see that it opens. (Holden)(that is if you bother running a thermostat at all).
    For the pedants, slowly heat the water with a thermometer and check that it opens at the correct temp.(Peugeot)
    Hi,
    i checked the sasic thermo i put in, but i didn't put the first thermo in, so i didn't check it. Even so, the bad thermo was ok for 900kms, and then it didn't open, however it opened after i started the car to take it home because the radiator got hot after it opened. Must have been sticky or something.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Thread Information