406SV Electrical Gremlin
  • Register
  • Help

Default 406SV Electrical Gremlin

I got into my 406 after work today, started the car up and noticed that the fuel gauge doesn't appear to be working (and yes, it does have fuel in it for all those folks with a sense of humour ). It did this once before, but the next day it was business as usual. I've checked all the fuses etc but nothing appears suspect. The car runs and performs as normal. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing the trouble?

Advertisement
    Last edited by Liam Wishart; 15th December 2004 at 08:38 PM.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

dodgy connection on the sender in the tank ?

if they are like other pugs then it's a rear seat out job to get the inspection panel
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Tadpole

Before you assume it is the fuel sender, I'd recommend running the car low on fuel to see if the low fuel warning light comes on. The reason I say this is that my 406SV also has no fuel reading on the guage, but I believe the guage is the problem and not the fuel sender (which in most cars would be the more likely problem) as my low fuel warning light still comes on.

When the problem first started, I could give the dashboard a rap and the guage would start working again. Eventually that trick stopped working. As soon as I get a chance, I plan on taking the 406 to an instrument repairer to have it sorted.

It stopped once before, and a few days later it miraculously came back to life. wacking the dash never did anything to assist the process. I'm still wondering if it might be a dodgy connection behind the instrument cluster.

Tadpole

More likely a dry joint somewhere, Liam. Have you used it enough to know if the low fuel warning light works? My guess/hunch is that our problems must be related!

Good luck,

John

Default Fuel gauge problem

I had and still have a similiar problem with my 97 delivery 98 406SV had the local pug dealer check it out, and dind not qoite belive them when they said that they fixed it 'sause it returned.

refer to the Haynes Wiring Chart, beside the braek pedal ( remove footwell trim you will find several connectors pick the correct one and disconnect it and the light should come on indicating that the little printed circuit behind the instrument cluster is working - if this is the case then take the instrument cluster to an instrument maker/repairer to have the gauge fixed as suspect a dry joint in the meter. NOTE when you turn the ingnition on does the pointer try to move even the smallest amount then it is most probably a dry joint on the PC board -- NOT the printed wiring for the cluster.

If its an early gauge you have to buy a new speedo assembly which includes the fuel gauge ---$700 aprox - later models you can just get the gauge according to Peugeot.

Hope this helps - call Pug tech staff in Sydney who will help with diagnosis

Regards
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Thread Information