I'm officially joining the club tomorrow....
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

I'm officially joining the club tomorrow....

Hey all

I'll be buying my GTi6 tomorrow, a metallic burgundy 97 model with leather and sunroof!

So I'll be glad to finally join the club!

I've had my deposit on it for ages... the wait is now over!

Pics coming soon..

Advertisement

Have you got it yet?

Fellow Frogger!
    hehe LOL no.. the anticiPATION! aaargh!

Probably in, hmm... 3/4 of an hour?

rek
    I wonder why he's been so quiet now .. ohh wait I think I know
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Yeah, he's off trying to get the inside back wheel off the ground I reckon.

Fellow Frogger!
    heheh you read me right! lol

F... ahem gee whizz, what an awesome car!

I left for work 2 hours early today ("to do some work") so I could go for a bit of a drive...

It's it just me, or do late model Alfa's have some kind of a problem with us GTi6 people? Or do they like to watch us fly off into the horizon?

Congrats. Welcome to the somewhat unknown side of factory performance cars.

Hows that induction note?

Its a sweat noise!

rek
    Talking about the "unknown performance" angle .. just earlier today on a three-lane road, at the lights, I saw a stickered-up Corolla (body length stickers, massive rims, huge exhaust, etc.) revving on a 206 GTi in the right lane, obviously wanting to race him.

However, he didn't seem to notice that I had pulled up in the GTi6, in the left lane ...

I would have loved to see the expression on the Corolla guy's face, as a 306 to his left, and then a 206 to the right, fly straight past him

As per the Bad Loser's handbook, he decided to fly past us some time later, going at least 140kph in an 80 zone..
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Fellow Frogger!
    hehe it's a nice feeling to be inconspicuous!

I laughed out loud on Friday night - I did a traffic manouvre which involved a 90 degree left from a standstill, with traffic approaching rapidly from the right. I couldn't believe my eyes when plumes of smoke starting coming from the left wheel well - I'm used to AWD remember... LOL

Does it have a mild LSD in it? It seems to pull fairly hard even when a wheel is spinning...

BTW I've got my stereo in the car now too.. nice, makes it all that much more enjoyable.

Has anyone ever had an exhaust rattle that only occurs when you're decking it in 2nd at over 3000rpm? I knew it was there when I bought it (I got the car checked out) but for the life of me I can't work it out as the engine mounts are supposedly in new condition.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    mine has a rattle in the exhaust that has been there from just about day one
    no matter how many times i told the dealer that it was rattling they just seemed to ignore the problem
    one person said that it was an incorrect flange size, another said it was a bracket that was made incorrectly, and another told me that the baffles in the first muffler had fallen apart
    the rattle in mine is there sometimes at idle mainly when cold which to me points to the cat
    also when taking a hard left it will rattle and you can feel it in the floor of the car which points to the mounting bracket
    it also occurs when it has been raining and you hit puddles of water on the road and the force from the water hits the exhaust and it then rattles
    all of this but ut has never affected the performance of the car it just has this annoying rattle at times
    one solution i have is to get the bracket modified and remove the muffler and replace it with pipe but i am unsure as to what effect this will have on the back pressure of the exhaust for the engine management
    noise i'm not too worried about so long as the exhaust flows nicely and it has a nice note as eventually i will get a nice rear muffler for the car
    so ntrx i hope this has helped and if anyone can answer my questions for me i will be very happy
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!
    Pugrambo mine rattles in 1st and 2nd gears under 3/4 to wide open throttle, from about 3500rpm to 5000rpm and it's a loud banging noise against the floor of the car.

Can anyone tell me which way the motor torques up, does the top of the motor tend towards the front of the car when it's loaded up with torque?

I have a feeling that this problem might be related to a worn engine mount, and that when the motor is torqued in one direction, the exhaust moves too much and hits the floor.

I'm getting this baby serviced ASAP, needs the clutch cable replaced etc, and the cam belt just in case.

btw, here are some pics of the car:
    www.lime.net.au/adrian/images/pug

cheers

The motor should twist the opposite way to the crankshaft when it's loaded up with torque, since most engines turn clockwise and the gearbox usually mates on the left hand side of the car, then the top of the engine should tend to head towards the fire wall when loaded up.

Note however that if the torque is suddenly released (during gearchanges, etc), the engine will suddenly move back the other way. It will also move the other way during engine braking.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Thread Information