how do you tell your clutch is worn out
  • Register
  • Help

Default how do you tell your clutch is worn out

Hi,

What are the signs of a worn clutch?

Advertisement

Shuddering on take off. (Assuming the engine mounts are OK)
    Engine revving like hell but going nowhere under load.
    Clutch only taking up when almost fully out.
    Gears crunching when clutch is in but in all gears as well as when it's put into first or reverse.

In all cases, be sure the clutch is correctly adjusted before you start ripping the guts out and also be sure the pedals and clutch cable aren't just worn, cracked or damaged.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Hi,

The smell.....
    The noise....
    The tragedy...
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Clutch only taking up when almost fully out.
    I know I'm going to be up for a new clutch soon :/.

The clutch doesn't slip, shudder or any of those other symptoms though.

I wonder how long I have left before it starts slipping.

When I first bought my 504 Ti the clutch was slipping for almost a year before I changed it. I could barely get up hills by the end, in stop start traffic on a steep hill I would take the clutch out and be revving it, going nowhere but not rolling back then eventually enough drive would be transmitted that the car would gradually lurch forward.

When it was finally changed my mechanic couldn't believe how rooted the flywheel and clutchplate was.

Driving round with barely any clutch is such a horrible feeling, you can't put your foot down anywhere let alone accelerate. Combined with a cracked piston in an engine that is permanently misfiring/running on three cylinders, I can't believe I actually drove round like that for almost a year, but when you are an 18 year old student facing a $1200 job for a new Ti motor and clutch, you haven't got much choice.

Depending on the set up on your car, it could also just be a case of needing an adjustment.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Fellow Frogger!

You would hope so but two different mechanics have commented on the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by purrr-geot
    Hi,

\

A basic test is to put the car in 2nd gear when stationary and , with the handbrake on tight (assuming it works properly) , try and drive off. If the car stalls immediately or moves forward (because your handbrake wasn't really working properly after all) then its probably Ok. If the engine still revs but the car doesn't move then its stuffed.

You can usually tell its on the way out when driving up a steep hill in the wrong gear (say fourth instead of third) the engine starts to rev faster but your road speed stays the same or decreases. Do this for long and the odour will soon confirm the diagnosis. As it gets worse the over-revving will start to occur whenever you take off from a stationary start etc etc.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

if your rolling along at a normal speed and jab the accelerator with a worn out clutch the engine should rev but the car wont move any faster, or it might eventually but do nothing for a few seconds, this is how i knew to replace the clutch in my car

Coming from riding bikes all my life. I change gears rather quickly.

And sometimes I blip the throttle. Not so much on cars, on bikes, to launch the front wheel into the air for some showing off down the road.

But you can do the same in a car. While driving, drop it to 3rd and rev the engine, then dump the clutch. The car will want to launch, but with a bung clutch, all you'll get is the slow acceleration and the revs slowing down to catch up with the rest of the running gear.

If the clutch is good. The car will just take off or wheel spin if its powerful enough.

pipsqeek

thanks guys,

going on what you are saying i think my clutch is gone or nearly gone anyway. I'll try the test that your guys have reccommended.

thanks

1000+ Posts

What pips said. Go along at about 30km/h in 4th. Clutch in. Rev car to about 4000 rpm. Release clutch pedal quite sharply while keeping revs up with accelerator. If the car sloooooowwwwwwly accelerates while the revs take a while to go back down, your clutch is knackered.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information