?Good aircon place
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default ?Good aircon place

on The Sunshine coast for 205. Read last thread re aircon on 205s and way too complicated for me.....has been re-gased and works like shit.
    It is very [email protected]#$ing hot up here.

Advertisement

I'm in the same boat (just further inland, and down a bit). My aircon is gasless, but i think it'll require a bit of work to get any effect from having that fixed.

I'm looking to tint it hardcore, as there is quite an expanse of glass about the 205. The fan is also really weak, and mine makes a nice clicky/bearing shot sound when i take right turns, and another noise when i turn it up.

Basically i'm reduced to driving fast with the windows down.

I think the cost to repair the aircon in my car to any kind of noticeable standard would be quite expensive... and i have more important things to deal with still (new brakes/suspension/exhaust).

I might do a hunt around though... it sucks not having aircon, especially when it rains and my car fogs instantly.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

I'm a bit further north of you guys and if I can get one of my fridgie mates to come out & raid my beer fridge, I usually get the keys of their work vans and put the van in the shade for them and ya know what? My air/con usually works after they leave....funny that!!
    In all seriousness, if I was to be asked who I could recommend in my own town I'd be hard pressed. I've tried to deal with a couple but being an ex tradesman I get a bit stroppy when I start getting fed the crap some of them do when buttering you up to rip a big bill into you, in many cases before they've even seen the job and as a result, I tend to tell them to get stuffed, stop treating me like an idiot and walk off and get the gear & do it myself.
    FWIW, whilst you're probably still playing Russian Roullette to a point, there is an association that have tried for years to maintain a reasonable standard in the industry and most of its members uaually display a sign advising they are members. It's called RACCA (Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Contractors Association of Australia) which I was a member of many years ago.
    They obviously don't have much of a presence on the 'net but there is a reference to them here:

http://www.aigroup.asn.au/scripts/cg...s.r?pageID=527

There was a guy at Noosa a few years ago who was a member and I think he had a fair reputation, so he may be worth a look.
    BTW, their signs advertising their membership of RACCA are usually blue on white with a circular logo full of writing you can't read until you're almost up to it.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I cleaned my fan out this morning... as a part of deconstructing the dashboard of my car (still working on a new one). I discovered what i suspected was causing the lame airflow. Turns out the fan in the 205 resembles a skimmer basket from a pool.

My example was about 60% blocked, and it's never been parked outside for as long as i've had it.

Cleaned that out, and also cleaned out the inside, which had collected quite a bit of debris aswell. Now my fan is much stronger and quieter.

My next task will be tinting, anyone recommend a tint? I've seen a little about modern tints and it looks like the gold tint (ie, has gold in it, not gold coloured) is pretty effective. I think even at an elevated price above others, it'd be worth the extra reflection.
    1987 205 GTI - Graphite Grey - 206k km's
    1988 MR2 Supercharger - Mica Blue - 114k km's

As it's so close to Christmas that it'll be probably early January before you'll get much sense out of anybody in particular people doing tinting due to the heat & jobs already booked in, can I suggest a trick I pulled on one of our cars?
    I've taken to driving with the rear blind up (lights off wank tanks tailgating you don't blind quite as much is the bonus) and invested $1.95 for a couple of see through blinds for the glass sunroof and got a pair of $4.50 side rear window blinds.
    Result is that it has increased the efficiency of the air/con by around 50% be deflecting all the sunlight out of the car and not conducting it into the cabin. Great $6.45 investment.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information