Good Tyres
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Good Tyres

Good Tyres

I've got a 307 arriving in a month or so, and I can probably put in a request for tyres.

Which tyres would you recommend? I'm used to driving on Michelins & Pirellis, but the 307s are coming with Goodyear, Continental and Dunlop tyres. I've heard Dunlops are a bit noisy, which isn't good.

Out of Goodyear, Continental and Dunlop, which one is the best? Secondly, should I ask for Michelins or Pirellis?

Cheers,

Advertisement

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Had a long discussion on tyres here a while back; make a cuppa, organize tea to be served at the 'puter & check it out <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000278" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000278</a>

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I would say stick with OEM which should be Michelins (I think all pugs come with Michelins). My dad's never had a problem with Michelins, had Bridgestones at one stage but wouldn't recommmend them as the tyres wore out to quickly and didn't seem to offer a great deal more grip the Michelins. But don't get Michelin Energy's I think they are the bottom of the line crappy ones. Got them on a 306 and they squiel round corners a bit, gotta push pretty hard though to do that.

[ 20 March 2002: Message edited by: The Pupat ]</p>
    Peugeot...
    ...The True Lion

I've currently got 195/60R14H Dunlop FM901's (4000km's young) on my 405. Worth every cent at $132 each, fitted and balanced at Beaurepaires.
    I wanted to get original Michelins but the MXV2's were prohibitively expensive and after a bad experience with MXT's, I wasn't going for their cheaper 185/65R14 Certis.

The Dunlops are great grippers in both wet and dry. It's near impossible to lock them in the dry and I have to be consciously trying to get them to skid in the wet. Even lifting off mid corner on a wet bend gets a slight shudder from the outside rear, but nothing worse.
    Best of all, they're brilliant at freeway+ speeds in the wet.
    Downsides? They are rather noisy especially when channeling water. And they spray the water up along the side of the car (even though I have mudflaps), so if it the rain is muddy, you have a brown car. I found the steering a teensy bit heavier (after 185's), but it's no big deal. Their grip also compromises handbrake 180's in wet carparks.
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

[quote]Originally posted by The Pupat:
    <strong>I would say stick with OEM which should be Michelins (I think all pugs come with Michelins).
    </strong><hr></blockquote>

What does OEM stand for?

Thanks
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Original Equipement Manufacturer.

I had Dunlop W10's. NEVER...i repeat, NEVER get these tyres. I now had Falken Azenis SP115 195/50/15. These are very quiet and good around town. When they get heated up they really stick hard.

I have done about 20,000 on these and thay have about 5000 left in them. I will need to replace all 4 cause I have rotated them to match wear front to rear.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Tyre maketh the car. Michelin.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Justin:

My 307 has 16’ (instead 15’) wheels with Pirellis (205/55R) as standard (Don’t ask me why do I get Pirellis instead of Goodyear as others get). They are good, but with a little bit of road noises. They have good grip, but I don’t think they will last long (Rated V, not H).

My dad’s Maxima was originally fitted with Bridgestones (15’205/R55, rated V as standard), they were the best tyres we have ever been used. The problem was they worn out much quicker than the others (replacement at 17000~18000km city drive) (as “The Pupat” mentioned before). They were very noisy but good grip and stability at high speed. Price, Gee, they don't come cheap!

Cheers
    Gary
    GKOSHU

Pupat, haven't seen a single 307 with Michelins unfortunately. Peugeot told me that they only come with Dunlops, Continentals and Goodyears.

Anyway, I thought I'd just copy a few posts from alt.autos.peugeot, in case others are interested. Interestingly Pirellis don't seem that good.

"I did go from Michelin to Bridgstone, and I am
    very satisfyed. I heard a friend of mine has bought some Goodyear and he to is talking well about them. We both drives a 306 Cab. and likes tires for activ driving.

here in holland pugs are fitted with pirelli P series i'm not quite sure but i think a 307 is standard fitted with P3000

as weather here can be pretty cold/moisterus a soft compound tyre is the best option. From what we know about Australia ( watch flying doktors, neigbours etc) temeratures can rise pretty high on your side of earth, so a harder compound tyre _could_ be a better choice. Goodyear, Continental and Dunlop are made of a harder compound in general as far as i know.

I use Firestone's FST(very soft compound) on my old pug305 and it works well for me

stay away from cheap rubbish, i nearly lost my car on cheap whatever makeit was. The firestone's i had fitted right after that were a
    great revelation....

i think one could go with standard fitted tyres as long as they are of a good make.

Have Goodyear F1 Eagles on my 206 XS and I'm very satisfied with them. The car was delivered with Pirelli P6000 on the standard 15" rims, but it
    was almost impossible to hear myself think. There was just too much noice from the tires, and
    I didn't like the way they handled either.
    Bought the 16" 206 GT alloys with Goodyears fitted. Beside that the car handled better (GREAT when it's wet!!) there was also less noice coming from the wheels. Here in Norway the 307 is delivered on Continental tires and I've never heard anyone complain about the tires. Just stay away from Pirelli and you should be safe.

Would never recommend Dunlop or Pirelli, had bad experience with both - ESPECIALLY Dunlop! Got dangerous in the wet with over 3mm of tread left.

I have the Pirelli PZero Rosso's - 17" x 205 x 50, on my 307XSi and find turn in super sharp with pretty good grip and acceptable refinement. The big question is how long will they last! Without back to back tests on same car type it is difficult to judge best tyre. I want a "fun" tyre that is good handling and PZero suits me, for safety and wet weather performance then maybe Continentals are the ones. (without the 17" rims) Horses for courses.

Got Contis on my 106 - excellent tyres in the dry, but wheel-spin madness when it's wet!

They're not lasting too well either - 8900 miles and 3mm of tread left on the fronts. Too much roundabout racing I think

Here in Aus my 206XT came with Michelin Energy (175/65x14) and I'm extremely happy with them. Roadholding in dry and wet is very good and at
    50,000+ km they're probably about 2/3 worn. I run them at 34 psi and do most of my driving on sealed roads (with about 10% on good old aussie dirt tracks)."

Ahwell, there's some food for thought.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Looks like these are the tyres I can choose from:

Continental Premium Contact
    Dunlop Sport 300E
    Goodyear Eagle Touring.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information