306 Cabriolet leaks
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jarrods

Thread: 306 Cabriolet leaks

Tadpole

Default 306 Cabriolet leaks

I purchased a '98 cabriolet last tuesday and it hasn't stopped raining since! It's been very intense rain and my car seems to leak from everywhere. For starters it leaks where the window joins the rubber. It seems to leak from half way down the window from the aframe.

Advertisement

I dealt with some of it with some chewey, which worked suprisingly well. But then I got the stuff out of the boot only to find that it was wet!! I think the moisture actually came up from below the car rather than through the seals as it was the wettest right in the middle.

As a side note, my roof makes a lot of noise and I can feel the air coming through the top, if I pull down that middle handle on the roof, it reduces the noise by a lot - is this fixable by tightening the bolts on the clip or anything? Maybe this would solve the leaks from the window seals at the same time!

Soggily yours
    ~Gemmell

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by gemmell
    I purchased a '98 cabriolet last tuesday and it hasn't stopped raining since! It's been very intense rain and my car seems to leak from everywhere. For starters it leaks where the window joins the rubber. It seems to leak from half way down the window from the aframe.

I dealt with some of it with some chewey, which worked suprisingly well. But then I got the stuff out of the boot only to find that it was wet!! I think the moisture actually came up from below the car rather than through the seals as it was the wettest right in the middle.

As a side note, my roof makes a lot of noise and I can feel the air coming through the top, if I pull down that middle handle on the roof, it reduces the noise by a lot - is this fixable by tightening the bolts on the clip or anything? Maybe this would solve the leaks from the window seals at the same time!

Soggily yours
    ~Gemmell

Sorry..

Welcome to the world of used 306 cab's.... Take your car to a local agent whom by now should be well versed in 306 roof repair's... and leave them about $1000.00 as you will find 306 roof seal's are made from the world's most expensive rubber ..... and punish all that try to install them....

once again... sorry... Lee.
    "The anti-christ has been with us for a long time, he mean's business..... BIG business"

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by J4RS

Sorry..

Welcome to the world of used 306 cab's.... Take your car to a local agent whom by now should be well versed in 306 roof repair's... and leave them about $1000.00 as you will find 306 roof seal's are made from the world's most expensive rubber ..... and punish all that try to install them....

once again... sorry... Lee.
    Well shit eh! Ahh well. I guess i'll just have to have a few sticks of chewey in my car at all times.

mabey you could invest that 1000 dollars into chewing gum hahahah....ha...........ha.......................h a.......................hmmmm sorry
    I'm probably the youngest guy in canberra(15 yr) to own a 404, it's proably one of the fastest too!

Soggily yours
    ~Gemmell

Have you tried putting the roof up!!!!
    505604 likes this.

Tadpole

Put the roof up? Are you crazy? Whats the point of having a convertible if you keep "putting the roof up"??? I'll just get wet =)

Put the roof up? Are you crazy? Whats the point of having a convertible if you keep "putting the roof up"??? I'll just get wet =)
    Good point.

If your going to get wet anyway you might as well look good.

Tadpole

Hi There,

Glad to hear you went ahead with the purchase, sorry you're having trouble though.

Um, mine doesn't leak whatsoever, not a drop from anywhere, and I wouldn't say my seals are in particularly good condition. I will have a look at mine and see if I can see any form of tensioning or adjustment, there should be I guess in theory because I suppose its possible for it all to stretch given the pressure it's under when sealing.

Cant explain the boot unless it's leaking in from the roof compartment or from underneath where the spare tyre release screw is.

The other area I found there to be cause for concern is between the front and rear windows, I found on one side, the two dont meet, meaning about 3mm open area where the rear window's seal doesn't touch the front window, check yours, perhaps its the same and yours is leaking.

My guess is though it's coming from the front because you can hear wind noise and are able to tighten it by pulling down on the handle.

Good luck, if I can help more, let me know

Steve

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Gambelli
    Hi There,

Glad to hear you went ahead with the purchase, sorry you're having trouble though.

Um, mine doesn't leak whatsoever, not a drop from anywhere, and I wouldn't say my seals are in particularly good condition. I will have a look at mine and see if I can see any form of tensioning or adjustment, there should be I guess in theory because I suppose its possible for it all to stretch given the pressure it's under when sealing.

Cant explain the boot unless it's leaking in from the roof compartment or from underneath where the spare tyre release screw is.

The other area I found there to be cause for concern is between the front and rear windows, I found on one side, the two dont meet, meaning about 3mm open area where the rear window's seal doesn't touch the front window, check yours, perhaps its the same and yours is leaking.

My guess is though it's coming from the front because you can hear wind noise and are able to tighten it by pulling down on the handle.

Good luck, if I can help more, let me know

Steve
    Yeh, I was able to tighten the nuts on the attachment mechanism and that really cut down the wind noise. I also found one of the seals on the outside has come off of the a frame. In fact pretty much all the seals on the car are not so crash hot. But on the plus side that's something I can do myself.

The boot thing is a bit of a worry. Will have to see if it rains again. Actually if these water restrictions ever go away, I'll put a hose underneath and see if thats doing it.

Thread Information