Mi16 "water manifold"
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Mi16 "water manifold"

Howdy all,

My Mi has a tiny leak around the plastic water manifold on the back of the block. I'm not sure if it's the hoses - I tightened the clamps when doing the driveshaft - but am I right in saying the plastic device is in two parts? It looked like it had two screws holding it together. If so, is there an 'O' ring between the moldings?

It's not urgent, but I'll start preparing for the job. Looks like a doozy - I should've done it while the shaft was off.

Stuey

Advertisement

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

If it's the one I think it is and it's the same as the one on the 16V, get the misses to hide the sleeping pills, rope, guns, sharp knives and get the gas turned off.
    I'd also suggest the cat goes to the refuge for a few days too. she's a bloody lulu, ask Peter Routley, he did one on his a while back & my son whose car he now affectionately refers to as THAT f**** THING!!! also had the pleasure.

I won't expand on it further than that; it'll only depress you.
    BTW, did you buy that engine crane I suggested a while back???? Hmm?? Just asking

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

It is rather difficult to remove while the engine is in the car, but not impossible. Take it off and renew the o-rings and seals. It comes apart in two pieces. Also replace the small hose while you're in there.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

Alan, you're a drama queen. Looks like a piece of piss to me. An hour tops...

Thanks Peter. I thought it would have an 'O' ring. It reminds me of a household reticulation part...

Anyway, luckily it only has an occasional green smudge around it, the hoses are perfect, the whole thing's really clean, so that's one consolation. The way I see it is I'm learning all about the car! Knock all these little things off and you end up with a car you know you can trust.

Incidentally, the previous owner swore by 'Alfloc' coolant, which is the stuff that the mining companies use on their machinery. I'll say one thing - this cooling system is INCREDIBLY clean - it must be bloody good stuff.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

[QUOTE=Stuey]Alan, you're a drama queen. Looks like a piece of piss to me. An hour tops...

Oh, sorry I'll take it all back and go another possibly more acceptable route; have you started home brewing yet?

Might be a good time to start as you may have a need for strong drink and plenty of it and this way it won't be as expensive.

How' s that for a more positive approach without drama?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

There's 3 o-rings/seals to replace.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

[QUOTE=Alan S]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Oh, sorry I'll take it all back and go another possibly more acceptable route; have you started home brewing yet?

Might be a good time to start as you may have a need for strong drink and plenty of it and this way it won't be as expensive.

How' s that for a more positive approach without drama?

Alan S
    No worries. I've got the lab mouse set-up and I'm growing an extra arm on its back for the eventual graft onto my chest. I'll keep you posted on how it goes...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Default Stuey

My MI16 had this part let go in a big way so I would be inclined to fix it asap.

Luckily I was in range of Mark Dysons workshop and he replaced the parts.

Graelin

1000+ Posts

Funny you should say that. Mark was the first to notice it when he replaced my cam belt. I'll sort it asap. Thanks.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information