Unusual 505
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Unusual 505

Default Unusual 505

Hey,

Today, i saw an unusual 505, It was a series one greeny coloured sedan with an bootlid spoiler much like the "executive" model, however it was not an executive. I have now forgotten the name (model designation) and i am wondering if someone could tell me a bit more information about the car?

Cheers people!

Advertisement

Cyas Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

It could be a GTi.
    Did it have a sun roof?
    What kind of rims did it have?
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

It may also have been one of the diesel variants, such as the SRDT (2.2 Turbo), or the GRD (2.5 Turbo). Only the GRD had a spoiler as standard fitment.

I have also seen some of the earlier 2 litre petrol (GR & SR) and 2.2 litre petrol STI versions retro-fitted with a bootlid spoiler. It does enhance the rear view appearance considerably.

Cheers,
    Kim.

Hey,

The rims were non factory items but were of an older style.

Cyas Stalled

nJm

I've often thought about fitting a spoiler to my GR. It does dramatically improve the rather wimpy rear end of the 505 sedan.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

dont put a spoiler on a gr its almost as bad as people putting type r stickers on standard hondas

leave the car as its supposed to be

next we will have people wanting to put mi16 spoilers on standard 405s

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KIMDEB
    It may also have been one of the diesel variants, such as the SRDT (2.2 Turbo), or the GRD (2.5 Turbo). Only the GRD had a spoiler as standard fitment.

I have also seen some of the earlier 2 litre petrol (GR & SR) and 2.2 litre petrol STI versions retro-fitted with a bootlid spoiler. It does enhance the rear view appearance considerably.

Cheers,
    Kim.
    SRDturbo is a 2.3 litre, GRD is a 2.3 litre naturally aspirated diesel, and GTDturbo is a 2.5 litre (effectively a turbo-diesel GTi).

Anyway, it sounds like that 505 is what's known as a 505 Special Edition. Very rare, I don't think I've ever seen one.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

nJm

Quote Originally Posted by Pug403
    dont put a spoiler on a gr its almost as bad as people putting type r stickers on standard hondas

leave the car as its supposed to be

Not at all. It is hardly a sporty looking spoiler, it is just an 80s styling piece. If it is considered overtly sporty then it doesn't belong on any Australian delivered 505, especially a diesel! The rear of the 505 is its weakest part of its styling. The lip just makes it look a bit less wimpy.

Do you have an issue with me fitting wider rims to my GR? All I'm planning on is moving from 14x5 to 14x5.5. Maybe I should also fit 19" chrome wheels to our Accord? Maybe I should put the badging (including the V6 and VTEC badges) from the Accord on my 505? I bet that will make it faster and give me street cred...

Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Ahhh thanks so far!

It had a badge on the back much like the "executive" 505 badge but it didnt say "executive"

What is the 505 special edition which was mentioned in this thread?

Cyas Stalled

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    Not at all. It is hardly a sporty looking spoiler, it is just an 80s styling piece. If it is considered overtly sporty then it doesn't belong on any Australian delivered 505, especially a diesel! The rear of the 505 is its weakest part of its styling. The lip just makes it look a bit less wimpy.

Do you have an issue with me fitting wider rims to my GR? All I'm planning on is moving from 14x5 to 14x5.5. Maybe I should also fit 19" chrome wheels to our Accord? Maybe I should put the badging (including the V6 and VTEC badges) from the Accord on my 505? I bet that will make it faster and give me street cred...

The special edition didn't have a spoiler. I think the spoiler makes the 505 look like a box, takes away those lovely lines. I reckon the best looking 505 from the outside was the 505SLI sedan, improved taillight and front end treatment without the dreaded spoiler.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Icon7

Sorry, I got my diesel idents mixed up. Peujohn is quite correct re the GRD vs GTD. In fact, anyone with the GTD version is the owner of a quite rare model for Australia. I believe that less than a hundred were sold in this country?

Any confirmation of actual numbers?

Cheers,
    Kim.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Pug403
    These spoilers are already fitted to some standard 'Series 1' GR and SRi 405's from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    The special edition didn't have a spoiler. I think the spoiler makes the 505 look like a box, takes away those lovely lines. I reckon the best looking 505 from the outside was the 505SLI sedan, improved taillight and front end treatment without the dreaded spoiler.
    Graham
    Oh dear.
    How wrong can the eye of the beholder can be.
    The 505 GTI SII is beauty on wheels, (owning one has not clouded my judgememnt in the slightest).
    I will agree with the idea, that adding bits to a cars styling that were never ment to be there, is a bit like silicone implants. You cant quite get over the concept that the origional equipment was just not good enough.

There is no accounting for taste...especially bad taste.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Default Unusual 505

Nick & NJM
    Your remarks about the early 505's looking wimpish, I agree.
    When they were first released they looked very bland with their, look like everything else on the road, styling. The ordinary dash and "David Jones?" corporate interior, ugh!
    I suspect a lot of 504 owners had second thoughts about trading up.

I go along with the fitting of a spoiler or even a later model boot if this was practical. With a set of later 5.5 mag wheels, bling, bling!
    For god's sake the old dears deserve it.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest
    Nick & NJM
    Your remarks about the early 505's looking wimpish, I agree.
    When they were first released they looked very bland with their, look like everything else on the road, styling. The ordinary dash and "David Jones?" corporate interior, ugh!
    I suspect a lot of 504 owners had second thoughts about trading up.

I go along with the fitting of a spoiler or even a later model boot if this was practical. With a set of later 5.5 mag wheels, bling, bling!
    For god's sake the old dears deserve it.
    Whilst I don't care TOO much either way about the spoiler I must take exception to referring to the early 505 dash as ordinary. I always thought the interior treatment was fairly spectacular, in particular the low height of the dash top. Peugeot themselves considered they were taking a fairly daring step with this. The late dash is just plain ugly, a wall of plastic reminiscent of an XA Falcon, puke!
    The 405 was similar with a great early dash and steering wheel design being replaced with something very bland
    Graham

Thread Information