306 oil filter replacement nightmare !!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 306 oil filter replacement nightmare !!

Hello There everybody,

Advertisement

What kind of sick engineer designed the position of the oil filter on my '98 N5 306 ?? I tried to do an oil change the other day and only sucessfully dropped the oil (Easy enough..) then proceeded to grate the skin from the back of my hand on the radiator grill for going in from the top, and managed to find great positions for my filter remover from the bottom.
    I can get the oil filter remover on - but there is little room to move.
    Is there an easy way to do this ???
    I have done a search on this and come up blank (If there is a link - please paste - thankyou )

Somebody said removal by hand was the best, however I think the last peugeot mechanic was a rock climber and had 900 Nm of torque in his wrist !!

Regards,

John

Pug tech's use a factory tool to remove the filter....this won't help you

use the force.....
    "The anti-christ has been with us for a long time, he mean's business..... BIG business"

At a pinch, there's an old truckies trick that I've used on cars that works every time; bit messy I must admit, but it does work.
    Grab a long screwdriver, preferrably the type with the steel end, at about 20 mm from the outer end, belt it through the filter (in one side & out the other) and simply turn it anti clockwise.
    It'll send a spray of oil out (not adviseable if you have indoor outdoor carpet in the garage) but once you've moved it a fraction, it'll screw by hand the rest of the way.
    Before you get this desperate, try an anti slip tpe of material and try to screw off by hand. There are metal strap type oil filter removers around now that will slip over in situations where arm room is a bit cramped. I had to buy one off SuperCheap recently to do a job on a Cit in an awkward spot.
    Usually we manage to remove ours by hand, but then again we also screw them on by hand as well which can make a difference if some knuckle headed gorilla has used a strap to fit it.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

to gain a little more room remove the snorkel on the air filter and lift the two clips holding the top of the radiator and move/hold the radiator towards the front of the car

you will gain a little more room and ti is normally enough to get one arm all the way in there to either get to the filter or to get a tool over it if need be

i have never yet had to use a tool on the filter in my 306 and i always use the above method to gain a little more room to play with
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Again at Cheap & Nast... sorry, Super Cheap Auto there is a tool called a cam type oil filter remover (I think they call it something like that)...

It has a socket wrench fitting in the face, and the main part of it fits over the end of the filter and the cam action closes the fingers on the filter. It comes in two sizes, maybe three.

Sounds like it's just the thing for this job... with a normal ratchet wrench you'd need only about 1.5" to 2" (35mm to 50mm) of space between the filter and the radiator to use the tool. And without spilling any...
    Last edited by Ray Bell; 9th December 2004 at 10:47 PM.

Default 306 oil filter repl nightmare!!

One of the good* ideas on the Renault 19 original Purflux oil filter was an attached removal tool. After carrying out first services I would remove them
    and put them aside to give to my Pug owning friends. Most of them were thrown away by mechanics.
    *the only.
    Do Peugeot have this facility on their later model original fit Purflux? Ask your service adviser. If they have they might be throwing them away also.

Shhudder! Dont resort to the "Marbuk method" ie spearing your filter with a screwdriver. In the described restricted space it will further your problem.
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 9th December 2004 at 11:24 PM. Reason: add text

i have a purflux oil filter removal tool

it is made from aluminium and is profiles to fit into the recesses on the top of a purflux filter and has a short handle on it

i bought it from a pug dealer years ago as they were a listed part

whether they are still a listed part i don't know but i have only ever used it a couple of times and only to get a purfluc filter off a car that some gorilla has put on

all of the filters i have ever put on my cars have always come back off by hand so the toll remains as a brand new item that kicks around in my tool bag (ex miner so i have a tool bag i can't stand tool boxes )
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Again at Cheap & Nast... sorry, Super Cheap Auto there is a tool called a cam type oil filter remover (I think they call it something like that)...
    I have one of these, Ray. It works a treat - but is not the cheapest oil filter remover in the world. It's cunningly designed so that the backyard mechanic, once he has got the filter off, cannot use the same tool to tighten up the new one.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

John, I use vinyl disposable gloves when changing oil (used oil being carcinogenic) and have found that if you clean the outside of the filter and use a clean pair of these, they give you a hell of a grip on the filter. Latex are even better but don't like oil...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Good tip Stuey... and a clue to SLC206's concern...

You don't need the tool to fit the things, they don't go on that tight. They are only tight to remove after being on there a while, so that's the sole purpose of the tool.

I also use that knuckle style tool. But I also use an old Karters trick, spray the outside of the filter with degreaser, leave it and go and drain the oil or fix up all the other 1000 little things going wrong on the little 306.
    When you return, clean the filter to you best ability as much as possible. Next wrap it in good ol glad wrap, then using kitchen gloves twist off from underneath. Works real well for me over the last 5 years. In an S16 its supper tricky with the least amount of room of the FWD pugs. - Chris
    ... ptui!

I suppose at a pinch, you could use a trick used overseas to loosen tight spheres on Cits; fit a mega large jubillee clip and then you have something firm to grab and providing the screw is in the right place, if it still doesn't want to play, use anything long like a piece of broom handle, long drift or whatever, to lay against the screw and give it a tap. If this will sghift a sphere, I couldn't see an oil filter holding too many terrors for it.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

I asked a mechanic how you get the oil filter out. IN the gti6 there aint much room and you can't access it from top or bottom. He said it had to be on a hoist, you stick your arm up underneath around the side, and use a tool to get the thing out. I'd just rather leave it to him to do.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    At a pinch, there's an old truckies trick that I've used on cars that works every time; bit messy I must admit, but it does work.
    Grab a long screwdriver, preferrably the type with the steel end, at about 20 mm from the outer end, belt it through the filter (in one side & out the other) and simply turn it anti clockwise......Alan S
    I used this trick as well when working on bikies all those years.

A few apprentices tried it too...they massacred the little threaded hollow mount that sticks out where the filter screwed on. I exaggerate, it was bent because they bashed the hammer into the filter. The filters are quite fragile, its all thin metal. Just telling you so you know to be careful.

Yes, oil will piss out everywhere. Have some brake clean handy or something similar that evaporates quickly and will get rid of the oil.

Also, I think most oil filters should just be hand tightened, they get tight on their own (most the time) by heating up and cooling down from the normal operation of the engine. Make sure to check for the oil filters o-ring has not stayed on the machined surface of the engine....2 o-rings do not make a better seal. As soon as the oil pressure builds, it will start to piss out everywhere.

my 2
    pips

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    I asked a mechanic how you get the oil filter out. IN the gti6 there aint much room and you can't access it from top or bottom. He said it had to be on a hoist, you stick your arm up underneath around the side, and use a tool to get the thing out. I'd just rather leave it to him to do.

i have a GTi-6 and i remove my oil filter everytime from above

it is simple once you take the snorkel off and unclip the top of the radiator

next time you have your bonnet up just have a quick look and you will see what i mean
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Free
    I asked a mechanic how you get the oil filter out. IN the gti6 there aint much room and you can't access it from top or bottom. He said it had to be on a hoist, you stick your arm up underneath around the side, and use a tool to get the thing out.
    Well of course he's going to say that - he's a mechanic and he would always change the oil on a hoist - wouldn't you?

I certainly wouldn't crawl under a car if I didn't have to. I'd love a hoist at home for these things
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

must be a talented mechanic to get to the oil filter for a GTi-6 from underneath as there are so many hoses in the way just below it

it is much easier to get to it from above

i have fairly long slim arms but i have tried from underneath and it is near impossible

the method coming in from above is so much easier

next time i am in sydney i should line up a few GTi-6 owners and show you guys how it's done from above
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

after you're done dab a lil oil on your fingers and put a little on the o ring seal for next time, then hand tighten it, it'll make life easier next change
    David

1999 China Blue 206 GTi
    2001 MY02 Subaru Liberty RX

http://community.webshots.com/user/choiboi29

Tadpole

Default Thanks for the hints and tips !!

A BIG thankyou for all of you who provided a reply.
    I got it off with removing the air filter snorkel for more access, placed a wet piece of cloth - and twisted !!
    I still have some skin left on the hands.
    A good pair of leather garden gloves helped as well.

Cheers everybody

By the way - its good to see some waves along the road back to naracoorte from adelaide yesterday from other Pug drivers. I think it was a record in seeing 5 x 406's travelling along this road on the same day.

Kind Regards,

John Baseley

Thread Information