Endless Issues 206 GTI 180!
  • Register
  • Help

Default Endless Issues 206 GTI 180!

Hello.

April 2004 I purchased a new 206 GTI 180. Great car, beautiful car. But this car is continually plaqued with minor and some major issues for which I have been back to the dealer 6 times.....and counting! My 206 GTI 180 has now done 11,000 kms and I drive it very responsibly and carefully, yet problems keep appearing. It is very frustrating and makes me question Peugeot build quality. I've owned Hondas in the past and I thought I was moving up the car market by buying a European built vehicle. There is no question that the 206 GTI 180 is fantastic in design and value features, BUT these continual issues are a real concern.

Issues such as the body/doors creaking loudly upon cornering or pulling into driveways. The vehicle produces an audible 'twang' sound after starting and driving away. Rattles and rubbles can now be heard from the driverís side dash as if something has come loose. Erratic idling.

And these are not the only issues. I've had a complete drivers side front strut replaced. Within a month of purchase the drivers side seat developed a fault in its structure and I had to wait weeks for parts from France to arrive at my local Adelaide dealer in order for the seat to be repaired.

Advertisement

Have others on this forum had similar build quality experiences with their 206s or other peugeot models?

Thanks in advance.....

G'day welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear of your woes. I don't think Peugeot build quality can be compared to Honda's. I know many Honda owners and very few have had major..or even minor issues arising with their car. Unfortunately Peugeots are known for minor niggles. Though mechanically they are well built and reliable, but things like trim, squeaks etc can be a bit of a let down.

However, there is one major reason why you'd find most in this forum love their Peugeots and are willing to forego some quirks, and that is the driving experience.

A bunch of us in Adelaide sometimes get together to go for a drive and lunch on a weekend. Feel free to join us and as there are a few 206 owners amongst us, maybe they can help you with some of the issues you are experiencing.

Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

I've had a couple of electronic issues, but nothing else. Maybe I don't hear rattles & creaks because I have the stereo so loud...

You've got to remember, though, that Peugeot is not actually a premium brand. Despite having Euro cred here (and priced accordingly), in the northern hemisphere they are everyday vehicles. In fact they rate with, or slightly below, Fords. The 180 is a specced up version of the 206 which is pretty much a budget hatch. So the build quality is not going to be up there with Beemers, etc. I haven't been in a Peugeot yet that doesn't have some "character".

That being said, they're built like a rock & go forever. And they're damned good fun into the bargain. So if it's not a terminal fault, turn up the stereo and have a blast.

By the way, you should try not driving the 180 so responsibly every so often
    Last edited by Industrie; 8th December 2004 at 03:54 AM.

I dont have a 180 - but I've had a few issues with my 138 in the two years that I've had it. However I've always found Taylors very helpful in getting them fixed as soon as possible. How have your dealings been? Greg can never usually do enough for me to get me back on the road in my GTi.

The thing to remember is - If you wanted reliability and something that will never cause any issues, go buy a Toyota. But you'll get a car with no soul. Buy a Peugeot and sure it will have character (in much the same way that Italian cars do) but the drive is so much more rewarding.

The only 180 owner I know in Adelaide is LeighO and I dont think he's had any major issues with his car.

Anyhow hope your enjoying the car when it's running properly.

Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    Actually, more than likely most of your problems can be traced back to a dealer with inexperienced techs. You might have got a freak dud, but it's highly unlikely. Having said the bit about the dealer, your in Adelaide, and my understanding is there aren't any other choices Perhaps it might be worth joining the 206gti.net yahoo! group and quizing a few of the SA locals who already have 180's about their experiences.
    The dealer in adelaide has some of the best Peugeot Techs in Australia. Colin the head mechanic has won the Peugeot Tech of the year for something like the past 2 or 3 years from memory. I think one of the other techs was runner-up as well.

There are a couple of other Pug mechanics in Adelaide but none have the gear to plug in to the car. But definately check out the 206gti.net Yahoo group. That way you'll also find out when we have our little drives through the Adelaide hills. Speaking of which - I think we need to have one either before or just after Christmas.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Does "character" have to mean a drop in reliability?

I've owned Hondas in the past and I thought I was moving up the car market by buying a European built vehicle.
    1990 series 1, 405 Mi16 <-- Sold
    1998 Nissan 180sx TypeX, 2lt, rwd Turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by hornedav
    Hello.

Issues such as the body/doors creaking loudly upon cornering or pulling into driveways.

Have others on this forum had similar build quality experiences with their 206s or other peugeot models?

Thanks in advance.....
    Hi there
    Funny I had exactly body/door creaks when pulling in/out of my driveway in a 99 306XSi. It drove me up the wall. Inchcape(importer at the time) 1st greased all the rubbers around the doors to no avail. Then replaced the rubbers. Finally the guy at my local dealer (Brookvale Prestige, Sydney) said he heard about a Saab fix. Applied this and hey presto it was gone!

His name was David(forgot the surname) and he's now at Peugeot Balgowlah NSW. He's a good bloke and won numerous customer service awards.

Hope that helps.

Cheers David

Quote Originally Posted by Clio Cup
    Hi there
    Funny I had exactly body/door creaks when pulling in/out of my driveway in a 99 306XSi. It drove me up the wall. Inchcape(importer at the time) 1st greased all the rubbers around the doors to no avail. Then replaced the rubbers. Finally the guy at my local dealer (Brookvale Prestige, Sydney) said he heard about a Saab fix. Applied this and hey presto it was gone!

His name was David(forgot the surname) and he's now at Peugeot Balgowlah NSW. He's a good bloke and won numerous customer service awards.

Hope that helps.

Cheers David
    Congratulations on your purchase hornedav! I know you've had a few problems or niggles with your car, but I believe that any car you buy these days, regardless of manufacturer, will have something to upset you in some way.

I've also had slight issues with the doors when cornering hard, especially over tram tracks. That's Melbourne for you! I asked the service guys to look into it (as well as a few other things) at the 10K service, they told me that they adjusted it a bit. It seems to be better but I haven't hit that intersection so hard as yet. I'll fine out soon enough I guess.

Other than what the others have already suggested I have nothing more to add. Just keep persevering with your service people until you get what you want, either that or try elsewhere. All it comes down to in the end is finding a mechanic who knows the car and who you trust to do a good job!

Good luck with your hot little beast!
    Nick!

Quote Originally Posted by hornedav
    Hello.

April 2004 I purchased a new 206 GTI 180. Great car, beautiful car. But this car is continually plaqued with minor and some major issues for which I have been back to the dealer 6 times............................................. ............................Have others on this forum had similar build quality experiences with their 206s or other peugeot models?

Thanks in advance.....

All new cars have issues, it's a just a reality, especially new models. I've had loads of problems, but that's what the warranty is for.

But I must admit, the build quality of the 180 is less to be desired. I used to own a 2001 206 GTI 138, the quality of workmanship was far better than my 180. The first thing I noticed was the 180 isn't even painted underneath, just a zinc undercoat, then i realised how much plastic they've used, and so on. BUt i guess they had to be tight arses on things to bring it in under the $40K price point.

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    G'day welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear of your woes. I don't think Peugeot build quality can be compared to Honda's. I know many Honda owners and very few have had major..or even minor issues arising with their car. Unfortunately Peugeots are known for minor niggles. Though mechanically they are well built and reliable, but things like trim, squeaks etc can be a bit of a let down.

However, there is one major reason why you'd find most in this forum love their Peugeots and are willing to forego some quirks, and that is the driving experience.

A bunch of us in Adelaide sometimes get together to go for a drive and lunch on a weekend. Feel free to join us and as there are a few 206 owners amongst us, maybe they can help you with some of the issues you are experiencing.

spot on....
    "The anti-christ has been with us for a long time, he mean's business..... BIG business"

The "complete driver's side front strut" (and presumably worse than replacing only half of the driver's side front strut...) and the seat mechanism are a worry. I would be unhappy with that. The other stuff you mention are rattles/squeaks that should be relatively easily fixed if you can give the servicing mob specific instructions about where they are. I'm not sure if the title of this thread really reflects your problems, but you are more than entitled to have them all fixed.

My march build 180 is so much better than my '00 model 138 in terms of rattles it's not funny. Other than that, the 138 had an exhaust rattle (which is quite common on that model) and the front struts were replaced because they were leaking at 90k or so. None of this stuff is earth shattering, but disappointing all the same - especially if you'd paid lots of money for your car. Like Jester says, keep working with the Adelaide mob and you will end up enjoying your 180

Oh, and yes you should consider joining the Yahoo group 206gti.net as well as this forum - there are lots more of us 206 people there and there's a good chance some of your concerns may have been dealt with by people in the group before.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by jastanis
    I don't think Peugeot build quality can be compared to Honda's. I know many Honda owners and very few have had major..or even minor issues arising with their car.
    hmmm.... obviously not Honda Jazz Owners, a VERY good source from a VERY prominant (biggest?) Honda dealer keeps me informed on the large amount of Jazz cars that come back to the w/shops, everything from engines! to failing ABS to Air-Bags falling out. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Haha,

Most of the people who have been in the car have tried the same thing, at one time. The repeat users tend to look at the handle, then look at me and shrink back in fear of doing the wrong thing again

It's not exactly a masterpiece of design, but once mastered, it's elegantly simple to use, and a whole lot nicer than other 2 seater seat designs I've come across.

Thankfully I've not experienced a problem with it, either the 180 or the 138.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Haha,

Most of the people who have been in the car have tried the same thing, at one time. The repeat users tend to look at the handle, then look at me and shrink back in fear of doing the wrong thing again

It's not exactly a masterpiece of design, but once mastered, it's elegantly simple to use, and a whole lot nicer than other 2 seater seat designs I've come across.

Thankfully I've not experienced a problem with it, either the 180 or the 138.
    Unfortunately my passanger seat was one of the faulty ones!
    My Mrs did nothing out of the ordinary to it, just reclined it all the way back (to check for room for something? ) and it didn't want to come back up. It just jamed up. This happened 5 days after delivery and it took 5 weeks for the new seat frame to arrive and be installed. It was very frustrating but now my passengers enjoy the same comfortable seats I do.

Only other problem is I've noticed a clunk in the front end when turning from hard left to right but this was discussed on a previous thread. I've done 8000km now in 3 months and this will be looked at the 10000km service.

Faced with a situation like this, hornedave, I'd head for the dealer, be nice and friendly, and then very directly, in a voice that simply doesn't allow "no" as an answer, say that you want to take him for a drive in the car to show him the problems.

You've paid a lot of money for what should be a good car and its clearly in the dealer's interests to keep you happy. Sounds as if he is the sort of person who likes cars and understands such things anyway.

Once you have him in the car, point out the problems, ask very directly what they can do about them, and take it from there. A road test usually says more than a thousand words.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Fellow Frogger!

Default Door creaking

Hi
    My 138 was very annoying in the way the drivers door creaked when changing lower gears and when taking off.

I mentioned this to the service manager and when I picked it up it is perfect!

He told me all they did was lubricate the catch and rubbers. Whatever, I am in a non creaking car.

I have found that if I explain to the service manager all these "Little" things he has beeen most helpful in putting them right. The exhaust rattle in 138 is also an easy fix under warranty.

Graelin

Ive had my 180 since june 04 and have got over 16k on the clock, I hava to say that for a sub 40k car they have done a pretty good job of it. I have had no waranty issues out of the normal and only had to add a bit of oil to the pedals and door hinges every few thousand k's. I was told of minor squeeks from some ppl b4 i bought the car but i am still waiting to see that. only things i will be getting fixed at the next service is the plastic strike bar on the hatch and picking up new b-pillar cover issue from last from last service.

I had a deposit on a subaru liberty gt until i was shown the 180 and i will never regret cancelling my deposit over the 180.

servicing is mych to be desired tho and is probably the biggest let down for peugeot.

Thread Information