205gti 1.9,`90 horn
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 205gti 1.9,`90 horn

hi all,
    my horn is as loud as an academic in a library.
    any good types to buy and any tips /tricks on fitting?
    thanks 4 any help?

Advertisement

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

Have you listened to it from the outside?? I thought the same thing from inside until I got someone to honk it while I was standing in front of the car. I then realised that you could probably hear it 3 blocks away.
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

now is the time to invest in a horn that plays la coucaracha or the mexician hat dance

1000+ Posts

This is a serious suggestion - get a pair from a Renault R12. These are the best horns around. Nice and loud, full bodied sound. I've made more than a few tossers jump in their seat (literally)...and you'll get them for nothing, or almost nothing.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole

Default thanx

cheers 4 all the replies, i`ll try this renault style horn

Tadpole

Hmmm...not that it matters, but my brother had two R12s, a 75 and a 79 Virage and I don't remember anything full-bodied, just a cute 'hoo-hoo!'

My memory may be impaired by the prodigious body-roll of the R12...

:-D

z.

1000+ Posts

Gee, then you must know then, cos your brother owned some... Maybe I should give you my phone number and you can give me a call. I'll gladly take the cordless outside and give you a sample.

FWIW, I was thinking of transferring them to my Mi to replace the standard air horns...

One thing, though - if they get some sand inside, the diaphragm can be restricted and they eventually don't work. Simple to pull all the screws off, pull the casing off, and blow it out. Five minutes work.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole

Default thanx stuey

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey
    Gee, then you must know then, cos your brother owned some... Maybe I should give you my phone number and you can give me a call. I'll gladly take the cordless outside and give you a sample.

FWIW, I was thinking of transferring them to my Mi to replace the standard air horns...

One thing, though - if they get some sand inside, the diaphragm can be restricted and they eventually don't work. Simple to pull all the screws off, pull the casing off, and blow it out. Five minutes work.

Stuey

cheers for that last bit of advice, i`ll have atry 2moz

Tadpole

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was hilarious. To this day I pull up beside R12s and get them to give me a honk. Always been that funny little noise.

If you've got loud horns, all power to you. I wasn't pretending I knew everything, I bow to your clear superiority.

z.

the horn on the 205 is tunable,going form squeaky high pitched low volume to a more louder lower frrquency type sound.im not sure how this is done though to be honest.
    when i first purchased my second hand 205 gti,it needed a new horn and heater blower fan which the previous owner had paid for,when the mechanic installed the new horn and i blew it ,it sounded so tinny frenchy frooggy weak insipid ..........the mechanic fiddled and told me to keep blowing it.with every adjustment it got louder and lower in tone,its now a very acceptable volume.
    hope this helps-BAZZ

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zerogeewhiz
    If you've got loud horns, all power to you. I wasn't pretending I knew everything, I bow to your clear superiority.
    Thanks! I am clearly superior, aren't I?

When you're discussing an issue about an R12 with someone with one in his avatar and in his signature, you'd think you'd realise he owns one and should know. This might sound stupid, but I've always liked loud horns - they're an iportant part of safety - and commented on the old R12's horns to my wife when I bought it. Jap cars have got those shocking 'peep' sounding horns. I guess there have been some different ones fitted to 12's though.

Baz, the common type horns on most cars have a screw in the middle of the body that is usually factory set and has that tamper paint on it. What this does is alters the throw of the diaphragm - the longer throw is deeper and louder - but beyond a certain throw it stops working. Back to what I said above, the sand in the diapragm has the same effect - it lodges between the body and the diaphragm, restricting its movement, and the horn produces an asthmatic peep. So, clean out the inside first before adjusting.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I guess there have been some different ones fitted to 12's though.
    The ones to get are the Seima brand ones from the 12. As Stuey says, these are loud. But if you want that bit louder get those from a Renault 17 (not as common as a 12) they are a touch smaller, but just a touch louder again.

Tadpole

I guess there have been some different ones fitted to 12's though.
    Yes, superior in all ways. And able to admit that someone's experiences may just be different to yours. Hey, maybe if I put a R12 in my avatar I'll be an instant expert.

Does this also automatically invalidate your advice as my 205's horn is also mostly inoperative and it sounds suspiciously like the diaphragm may be full of rubbish too. It's just that you don't have a 205 in your avatar which probably means you don't know anything about them.

1000+ Posts

Look, buddy, I'm on this thread just trying to help a guy out with a request for help. What's your reason?

Why don't you butt out unless you've got something constructive to add?

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Apologies for the above post, Zero. Must've had a bad night.

(No I wasn't pissed, Mr Smith)

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information