Wanting Heiniken On a VB Budget
  • Register
  • Help

Default Wanting Heiniken On a VB Budget

It seems to me that more and more people want to buy our valued Pugs but they seem to think that it is like purchasing a japanese car in that you can offer peanuts and expect to actually get a good car!!!

Prime examples are like Brads s16, awesome car but can't sell it cause he actually wants a realistic price for such a good example!! I also get offers for my s16 frequently (much the same as Brads) but they all seem to think that 8 to 10 grand will buy it, not damn likely!!

Is it just these people are dumb rednecks who don't have a clue what they are wanting to buy, or are they all tight asses and read the trading post too much and think eveything should be a bargin?

Advertisement
    S16 ownership is like a fine french wine, perfection personified

Jester i should have been more clear, my car isn't for sale, i just get offers from people frequently (you know the type that hang round Newcastle foreshore cause they have nothing better to do)!

What i was trying to say is it seems wrong that more people can't see the value and pay what realistically is a fair price for our valued pugs.

But i have to agree with you that it has been a buyers market for some time, much because of the shit house cars like Kia, Daewoo etc!! Pity that these dumbasses don;t realise that these cars are only made to last the warranty period then they fall apart and die

just how much WOULD you ask if you were selling? most S16's in sydney have been going around 10-12K, with the odd prime unit at about 13-14... - Chris

ps. Not also is it a buyers market, people more than ever are encouraged to strech every little dollar, all these "money", "aca" and such shows showing so called ways to save thousands!!! etc, yet our national debt is at a record high. anyway....
    ... ptui!

XTC

Default What is Value ?

Value or not, in general the Seller often has an over inflated opinion on the value of their car ... this is perfectly natural. But simply put, the value is only what someone else is willing to pay. Doesn't matter that one person last month paid top dollar, this month there is no-one in the market.

I've never had a problem selling either a car, house or even Hi-Fi gear ... and when it comes to cars the sooner you realise it's an expense ... and not an asset, the more easily it'll be to let go. The PROOF is always when you put it on the market.

- XTC -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Not sure what the market is like where you are, but i picked up my S16 for 9k about 4 months ago. (130k)
    OK, it's not a concours car, but is in good condition for a 9yr old car.

Buyers market, and if you want a sale you have to drop your price.

At the end of the day how you view your car it may not be what someone else thinks, or would pay.

yeah , i know, it sucks when selling...
    C4 Hdi - Pierre, Suby BRZ - Fuji and Wren the FRB Clio IV

Why don't you check out the "book" value of the car? You might be seriously deflated.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Eating through my P6000s around Bell St Maccas!!

I remember buying my 1991 Volvo 460 in the UK last year for 500 pounds. I was surprised at how cheap cars are over there, especially 2nd hand ones. Maybe we are just catching up??
    The AWARD WINNING 1998 Blaze Yellow 306 GTi6

......and a Series 3 205GTi on the side.

"I enjoy telling people what to do, because I am an arrogant rock star. That's what I do. That's my job." Gene Simmons, ROCK SCHOOL.

Fellow Frogger!

It kind of irritates me when owners seem to think their car is somehow immune to market prices.

It is quite funny to watch though, as the seller is eventually forced to lower their price to the point where they realise how much it is actually worth.

Second hand cars are worth nothing these days, cheap Japanese imports have eroded the market totally.

XTC206 has the right idea IMO.

If you really think your car is worth a lot, don't sell it but if you do want to actually sell your car be prepared to face the reality that you are at the mercy of the buyer.

Fellow Frogger!

it is only going to get worse... less than 4 weeks until the import tarrif drops to 5%

cheap imports (new and 2nd hand) will give the car market ad right royal shake-up. Local/Domestic manufacturers will have to improve quality or reduce prices which will lead to a sudden "landslide" in 2nd hand value.

I agree...the bottom definately has fallen out of the used car market.

Traded in our '99 V6 Passat ($62K new, 2.8V6, biege leather, sunroof etc.etc) on a new 407....average price offered from wholesalers $13-14K

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    it is only going to get worse... less than 4 weeks until the import tarrif drops to 5%

cheap imports (new and 2nd hand) will give the car market ad right royal shake-up. Local/Domestic manufacturers will have to improve quality or reduce prices which will lead to a sudden "landslide" in 2nd hand value.
    What is the import tariff at the moment?
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

Fellow Frogger!

I guess it depends on your position, personally I like the idea of being able to get into newer, nice cars at more attainable prices.

But of course if you have purchased a new(ish) expensive car then you're not going to be very pleased at the prospect of losing money.

Quote Originally Posted by jester_fu
    What... you even TALK to these try hard rice boys?? Seriuosly, i wont give them the time of day. Guess that makes me a snob, but if i wanted to talk to @arseh0les... i'd fart! Those people really are a waste of space. I mean, the only reason they park on the foreshore is because they are to scared to drive the many interesting roads around the valley for fear of their bottoms being booted by some weird european car!! On occassion these fools try and 'push' me on a backroad, only to either loose control or get left eating some puggy dust. Seriously... i have no time for them, perhaps when they ask if it's for sale you should grin, tell them $40k, and walk off laughing.
    Mate i wouldn't call saying "not for sale, go buy a lancer" to these ass clowns a conversation either

Nothing more i love than embarrassing these dicks on a regular basis, especially when tight urban shicanes (round abouts) are concerned

But yeah the couple of times a few i know (cause they are brothers of my actual friends) have decided to run there mouth and come for a drive on some local backrounds i have had the same result as you, more satisfying when it was a highly modified Sti

As for some of the other comments, i am more than aware what my car is worth in the market, hence why i wouldn't bother selling it even if i wanted to!! I spent so much money keeping it like it is that is not worth me parting with it at all, rather just keep it and buy something else straight out.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

put it this way

we have a 604 here that we bought

we didn't pay a lot for it but within a few weeks it was up and registered with a nice set of alloys on it

it now has a new motor in it

if someone wanted to buy it and if it was up for sale i wouldn't be asking any less than $2500 for it

the price paid for it was a 3 figure amount

if you like your car then keep it no matter how new or old it is

the only value you get out of a car is keeping it and using it

cars lose value very soon after they are bought new

i for one don't really care if the bottom drops further out of the 2nd hand market as i don't intend on selling anything but it does hurt those that are trying

i have only ever bought one car new and i don't think i would ever do it again

if i was in the market for a newer car i would get one that has already dropped the biggest part of it's value like a 6month old car

take a 607 for example

$80+ new and yet near new 2nd hand they are going for low 60's

just think of the bargains that are going to be around for those in a buying mood
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Cal

This situation isn't helped by the type of cars we choose to own. That said, you can't sell anything at the moment. Everybody I know who has an interesting car for sale can't even get lookers. Brad's S16, Dad's STi and mate with an E36 M3. All really good examples of their kind. It makes no difference. I could buy cars all day long, but the fact that you can never move them on stops me from owning cars I have always wanted to.....mmmm GTV6.....mmm 406 Coupe.....

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Thread Information