power loss
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: power loss

power loss

Hi all

the mi16's doing strange things! When cornering under accerleration, the engine seems to, i guess u could say stutter. the revs start to climb very slowly until its going in a straight line again, then it climbs as per usual.

I was thinking it could be play in the drive shafts that doesnt like a load being put on it...

Advertisement

Also does anyone know of a good spraypainter in brisbane, my spoiler has faded really bad
    - '03 Xsara VTS -

Hey there Mi16 buddy!!!

I have not had this problem in my Mi16 but have had it in my old 505 STi. It basically comes down to fuel starvation from what I could tell. If you throw is hard into a corner or try and spin the rear wheels (hey -I was on my "P's"!!) turning right out of a street and get it to fish tail, it would cough and fart until the sideways inertia stopped. From what I could tell that car was MPI rather than single point so the fuel rail was not getting enough pressure. I am not sure about the fuel rail on a series one Mi16, but there is a regulator which controls back pressure caused by the instant 'shutting off' of the injectors. Like pipe hammering in water pipes at home when you turn off a tap really quickly. These have known to become faulty items per my local Pug Service Manager
    in Brookvale.

Hope this helps!

Stu G
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

mmmmm

its a series 2 like yours!

why would it only happen with sidewards inertia?
    if this part is faulty couldnt it do it when going forward?
    Stupid cars with there stupid fiddly bits that dont work.............what am i saying, i love this car!

mmmm

oh well, thanks for the help
    - '03 Xsara VTS -

Tadpole
    Im haveing the same problem with my 309gti.
    But it started when hitting bumps when driving in a straight line and i yesterday noticed it when cornering hard.

Is this part an easy fix? Or am i going to be up for some serious money?

Cheers

Nath

Sounds like could be fuel surge. . . (ie happening under conrnering). Surge tanks aren't that expensive (like $50-200. depends where ya get them). Could solve the problem. or maybe change your fuel filter. I had a similiar problem, changed it and it went good again.

One other unusual possibility that is worth considering in these sorts of situations is at the other end of the engine! Internally damaged mufflers or cats can have bits wobble about in hard cornering situations.

I spent three days off the road in Cann River a couple of years ago while we (me and a quite competent local bunch of mechanics) tried to figure out why I had suddenly lost engine on a windy, hilly section of road. It ultimately turned out that a bad load of fuel (at the time when Mobil were having problems) had destroyed the Cat, which had lodged itself in an aperture in the muffler system, completely preventing the engine from running!

Before we discovered it we had dismantled just about everything from the tank to the engine.

Try the same sort of manouvers with the tank full.

On an injected car, if the problem occurs with both a full tank of fuel and an empty one, I'd be looking beyond fuel surge.
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thread Information